Page 868 of 869 FirstFirst ... 368768818858866867868869 LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,680 of 8685

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I tried using conditioner bars at first, but found they don't really work well for me and the acidic rinse is all I needed. I think there are at least a couple here that use them. Surely someone must be buying them since they have sold them a long time now!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    13/31/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Hey all, I have been washing with a shampoo bar for a month or two and it seems to be working fine. I was using the bar while I used normal conditioner. Yesterday I tried a shampoo bar and then a conditioner bar, and that seems to be okay so far.

But on reading recent posts on this thread, I wonder if the conditioner bars are normal to use? Do you all use just the shampoo bar or also conditioner bars? These are the strategies I think I have seen mentioned in recent posts:

• ACV rinse
    • Cold water rinse
    • Pre- or post-wash oiling
    • Normal conditioner
    I use a conditioner bar, and it works well for me. My routine is: shampoo, condition, ACV rinse as a leave-in. My fine hair doesn't do well with consistent oilings, but I occasionally oil the ends a few days later if they're feeling rough.

To be honest, I probably don't even need the conditioner bar, but I've struggled with tangles so much in the past I just don't want to risk it.

Length
    BSL/FTL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thank you all for your input! I will likely try variations like not using the conditioner bar and ACV rinse.

Is there a resource to learn how to do the ACV and why, or can someone explain it briefly?
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Length
    17/36/n/a
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Here's a nice description of how to use an ACV rinse:

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalv...r-hair-rinses/

I have a problem with the way my hair smells after using cider vinegar, so I use unseasoned rice vinegar instead. I buy it by the gallon at an Asian grocery store in my neighborhood. I get the same results but it smells better.

Hope this helps!

Some people also use citric acid if they don't want the vinegar smell (also, IMO it might be easier to manage because it's a small container of powder rather than a bottle of liquid vinegar). I keep thinking I should try it.

I don't usually notice the vinegar smell lingering after my hair dries, luckily (but, I also give my hair a quick rinse after the vinegar rinse; some people prefer not to rinse it out).

I admit I don't have any sort of certain formula I use. I pour some vinegar into a pitcher and fill the rest of the way with water. I can get away with it because my hair doesn't seem *too* picky on that front (or maybe the amount I tend to use just luckily happens to be the amount my hair likes), but it can take some experimentation sometimes with products to figure out what, and how much of it, works for you.

For me, with vinegar or herbal rinses, I have a large pitcher I put it into with water. I dip my hair in (all the way, so my head is resting on the edge, which means that hair is in the solution, too). I let that sit for 30-60 seconds, then I pull my hair out, wring it out back into the pitcher, and do the same on the other side. Then I pour the pitcher over my whole head slowly, and once it's done, quickly put my hair back in and wring out whatever's still in my hair and pour that through again (you can also use a second bowl or pitcher in order to catch more of it as you're pouring). I wait a minute or two (with an herbal rinse, I tend to watch the water in the tub flowing toward the drain-- when enough of the rinse has dripped out of my hair that the water coming off me is no longer brown-tinted, I consider that long enough), then fill the pitcher with water and pour it over my head (rinses both my hair and the pitcher) and usually put my head back under the shower spray briefly to finish rinsing it.

(This reminds me that I need to do an herbal rinse this wash, i think. Haven't made one in a while. I'm thinking about trying my bar of African black soap on my hair this time, too, just as an experiment...)
    Last edited by Kat; October 16th, 2021 at 10:53 AM.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    17/36/n/a
    Type
    2a/M/iii

This is another good example of how everyone's hair is so different from everyone else. Some people do like citric acid, but when I tried it my hair felt like straw. And I know that for most people the vinegar smell doesn't linger, the way it does for me. So much of this is trial and error to see what works best for each of us.

Which is exactly what it says in your signature, Kat!

I use 1/2 cup of rice vinegar to a quart of warm water, and add a tbsp of honey, which gives it shine. It works well for me, but it took almost a year of trying different things to arrive at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenbirds View Post
    This is another good example of how everyone's hair is so different from everyone else. Some people do like citric acid, but when I tried it my hair felt like straw. And I know that for most people the vinegar smell doesn't linger, the way it does for me. So much of this is trial and error to see what works best for each of us.
    That's partly what has kept me from trying it... vinegar seems to work okay for me, and most of the time I don't seem to have issues with the smell... so maybe I shouldn't mess with a good thing just out of curiosity...

(And then I think there were other people here who said citric acid worked great for them, but vinegar didn't! It can be annoying that there aren't any hard-and-fast rules a person can follow to be assured of success the first time.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Hi all, I’m currently using a shampoo bar (sulfate free) from a brand called “Nuddy”. It foams up really well and I’ve used it around 5 times and I am really liking it. I think you can find it on Amazon also. I still use a conditioner with it though!

Has anyone else tried this brand?

Length
    Shave/36 in/?
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nieve View Post
    Hi all, I’m currently using a shampoo bar (sulfate free) from a brand called “Nuddy”. It foams up really well and I’ve used it around 5 times and I am really liking it. I think you can find it on Amazon also. I still use a conditioner with it though!

Has anyone else tried this brand?
    Hi Nieve! I bought the Nuddy shampoo bar for shine it smells beautiful! Haven't tried it yet but I will, can't wait

Length
    13/13/18-20

I've been looking into trying shampoo bars from lush- anyone have experience with these? I have color treated hair so I always worry about stripping!