Page 867 of 869 FirstFirst ... 367767817857865866867868869 LastLast
Results 8,661 to 8,670 of 8685

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I've tried my first shampoo bar recently, but honestly I wasn't impressed. It has kind of an old smell. And my hair didn't have the usual amount of slip, it had sort of a bad texture afterwards ... Anyone else noticed this?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlySpaceGirl View Post
    I've tried my first shampoo bar recently, but honestly I wasn't impressed. It has kind of an old smell. And my hair didn't have the usual amount of slip, it had sort of a bad texture afterwards ... Anyone else noticed this?
    Did you follow it up with an acid rinse?
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    13/31/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

One of the first bars I tried had a very strong smell, it honestly hurt my nose and throat. I've since found one that has a better smell to it.

My hair doesn't have much slip and tangles easily if I forget to use an acid rinse afterwards. With the acid rinse, it's nice and slippy!

Well, I spoke too soon. Hair seemed dry and extra-tangly today. Will be glad to wash it again (I don't know that putting in oil or leave-in conditioner will help. Leave-in conditioner seems to only want to go on when my hair is still damp after a shower, and if it's determined to be tangly, oiling after the fact doesn't seem to help-- I just have tangly, oily hair). I'll give it one more go when it comes time to use my other non-soap shampoo bar-- I'll try an herbal rinse (mine has hibiscus, which helps me with tangliness). If that doesn't work, I'll go to using vinegar with the non-soap bars, too. (And of course if that doesn't work, conditioner it is, though I admit I enjoy the shorter showers when I don't have that added step.)

I imagine your "bad texture" is sort of similar to what I'm referring to? The vinegar does make a difference... last wash (not the one yesterday) I didn't use conditioner with my (soap-based) bar... hair felt "sticky" as I mention above, but was fine after the vinegar rinse.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    16/19/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Kat, interesting! Well, it was worth a try.

CurlySpaceGirl , I agree with the others, if you didn't, an ACV rinse might be worth a try. The best concentration of that rinse will also depend on the hardness of your water, so it can take some fine tuning.

I was also thinking, does anyone mix silicones and shampoo bars? I don't. I'm curious whether bars are strong enough to remove silicones. If not, I wonder if that could contribute to some undesirable shampoo bar side effects.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.
    No trims since June 10th 2021, aiming for fairytale ends.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    Kat, interesting! Well, it was worth a try.

CurlySpaceGirl
    I was also thinking, does anyone mix silicones and shampoo bars? I don't. I'm curious whether bars are strong enough to remove silicones. If not, I wonder if that could contribute to some undesirable shampoo bar side effects.
    Kathie, I have used cones with shampoo bars without a problem. I have semi-soft water; I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    16/19/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Kathie, I have used cones with shampoo bars without a problem. I have semi-soft water; I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.
    Good to know! Thank you.

Length
    16/19/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FaeBroom View Post
    I did this for a while, just a little oil on damp hair and wash with a shampoo bar, and my hair wasn't dry or tangly at all. I only started using conditioner again because I've been wearing my hair down more often. But the brand I bought (Maui Moisture) seems to be working well with my shampoo bar.
    I've gone without conditioner for the last couple of washes and used just oil instead. I'm going to start using conditioner again though- so I can use up the bottle and a bit I have.

I use Maui Moisture too! I find it very conditioning. I use just a pea size on the bottom 3 inches of my length.

Length
    BSL/FTL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Hey all, I have been washing with a shampoo bar for a month or two and it seems to be working fine. I was using the bar while I used normal conditioner. Yesterday I tried a shampoo bar and then a conditioner bar, and that seems to be okay so far.

But on reading recent posts on this thread, I wonder if the conditioner bars are normal to use? Do you all use just the shampoo bar or also conditioner bars? These are the strategies I think I have seen mentioned in recent posts:

• ACV rinse
    • Cold water rinse
    • Pre- or post-wash oiling
    • Normal conditioner
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Since I've started using shampoo bars, I don't use conditioner (except for when I use the Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap-- I've found that's a bit too drying to go no-conditioner).

Not gonna lie... I'm starting to wonder if maybe all my life I could've just gotten by with a vinegar rinse after shampooing...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.