Page 849 of 849 FirstFirst ... 349749799839847848849
Results 8,481 to 8,488 of 8488

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    17/30/n/a
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Hi, Kathie, I've been using Soapnuts CV bars for a couple of years and I have noticed in the last several months that the short bits (my bangs and the wispies around my face) have gotten a lot curlier. My husband even mentioned it, and it's rare for him to say anything about my hair at all. Whether it's because of the shampoo or advancing age or something else, I can't tell. The rest of my hair would be wavy if it were shorter but the weight of it pulls it down, and I either bun or braid it every day anyway. But at least I think my shampoo bar isn't curl UNfriendly, and may be helping some. Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Let us know how you like your CV bars!

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

My curls love the shampoo bar I'm using. I don't even scrunch anymore, they snap back into curly while my hair is still dripping. I do notice a change in the waxy feel my hair gets sometimes when the local treatment facility is messing around, and that's something to keep an eye on. Definitely a mild acid rinse for my hair, I use Nightblooming's Alluvial, unscented, which I find works as well as ACV but Partner doesn't notice the smell.

I usually lather on my hands and then apply to my hair. Rubbing the bar on my hair just tangles everything and then it's more work after to detangle. Getting my hands good and soapy lets me get the soap to my scalp and wherever else I feel I need it. Rinse well with water and then saturate with Alluvial and rinse that again. My scalp adores the shampoo bar and I have almost no flakes when I'm using it regularly.

I also noticed that if I use a freshly purchased bar that's still soft, it's more likely to leave buildup. If your bar is still soft, let it cure for a month or two before you use it. Longer if you can. Older bars rinse out better for me.
    Lady Morgan Lynn of the Winding Forest Paths in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15/16/38
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

That's exciting! It sounds like you are both getting good results. Also, thanks for the advice about curing. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I got the shipping notification yesterday, they should arrive in a week or so. I'll let you know how I go once I've experimented with them a bit.

Length
    Bsl/Hp/Clsc
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Question for citric acid users. How do y'all determine how much powder to water you use? I haven't found much info on citric acid, only acv. I'm really excited to get some cv bars after my conventional products run out!

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roses-at-dawn View Post
    Question for citric acid users. How do y'all determine how much powder to water you use? I haven't found much info on citric acid, only acv. I'm really excited to get some cv bars after my conventional products run out!
    It depends on the hardness of your water, but I use a 1/4 teaspoon to 500 ml of water

Length
    15/16/38
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Nineteenbirds & Lostchyld, I received my CV bars yesterday. I love how the unopened box smelled amazing! I decided that today would be an impromptu wash day so I could try them out.

I used their henna bar. I remember a trick for me was lots of lather, so I ran the bar down my hair a few times and gave my scalp a good massage to work one up. I was thinking that is actually pretty nice to have to massage in this way for scalp care.... so an added bonus. The rinse out was as I remember, my hair was left with a very obvious gummy feeling.

I followed with a diluted AVC rinse. This rinsed the gummy feel away and I was left with smooth hair. Not with slip like I get with conditioner, but very smooth.

I dried as usual, scrunching and dabbing with an old cotton t-shirt to prevent frizz. But I wasn't too fussed about trying to get good curl clumps.

The result- my waves were definitely trying to come out. Especially around the front. I forgot how awesome bar washed hair feels. Light, clean, and it looks so shiny.

Maybe the light clean feeling is likely more pronounced because I have been following the CG method of not rinsing out conditioner. So my hair literally has nothing on it! Well, now Ive put a drop of oil on the ends to protect them for the day.

My scalp feels great too... there is no product residue hanging around there, so again a nice clean feeling.

So overall, Im excited to be using shampoo bars again

Length
    17/30/n/a
    Type
    2a/M/iii

This is all good! Thanks for the update.

Chagrin Vallley sells a little bag of herbs that you can soak in your ACV that helps give your hair a little slip. They suggest you make a tea with it, but I just soak 1/2 cup of herbs in a quart of vinegar and use 1/2 cup of that diluted in water for my rinse. It's pricey, but 1 bag lasts me about 6 months, which, compared with what I used to pay for conditioner, is pretty good. Although I tried to order some yesterday during their scrap sack sale and they are out of stock right now. But this might be useful in the future.

Glad you're feeling so good about this.

Length
    15/16/38
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenbirds View Post
    This is all good! Thanks for the update.

Chagrin Vallley sells a little bag of herbs that you can soak in your ACV that helps give your hair a little slip. They suggest you make a tea with it, but I just soak 1/2 cup of herbs in a quart of vinegar and use 1/2 cup of that diluted in water for my rinse. It's pricey, but 1 bag lasts me about 6 months, which, compared with what I used to pay for conditioner, is pretty good. Although I tried to order some yesterday during their scrap sack sale and they are out of stock right now. But this might be useful in the future.

Glad you're feeling so good about this.
    Thanks for the tip! Next time I make an order I will definitely check this out,