Page 806 of 814 FirstFirst ... 306706756796804805806807808 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,060 of 8139

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    zip/knee/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I don't use cones, but theoretically you should still be able to use the water soluble cones just fine!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

I decided to play it real safe with my 1st order from Chagrin Valley, which is why, I decided to start out with trying their Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo Bar to begin with. I got 2 full sized ones, and 3 sample sized ones. I of course definitely am no stranger to shampoo bars, however, I find that because my hair is naturally very dry (as dry as the Sahara Desert) that conditioning shampoo bars happen to work the best for my hair overall. After receiving my package from Chagrin Valley earlier today, I quickly went and washed my hair with one of the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo bar samples, and I got lots of Katherine, but it was more so a creamy lather, versus a stripping one. I can personally say that this is the best shampoo bar that I have ever used. And, I definitely plan to buy more from Chagrin Valley in the very near future for sure.

Oh, and even though the water in my area is classified as being semi-hard (even though I believe it to be very hard), I don't use an ACV rinse after using shampoo bars and I have yet to feel a huge need to even use conditioner afterwards either. I just begin applying my styler of choice and I am good to go.

I know that not all shampoo bars are created equal, however, I definitely can say that even though I have been a user of Bobeam's shampoo bars, which I still do own plenty of, and will definitely use up, I am beyond impressed with Chagrin Valley thus far. And, I honestly would have never got the push to even try anything from Chagrin Valley, if it was not for this site, more so this actual thread, that I happened to come across, and took a huge liking too for sure.

This time of year, it has been more cold than it has been in years past. So, it has been causing my scalp eczema and seborrheic dermatitis on my face to go into major overdrive (even though I deal with these two skin issues all year round, no matter the season). I do see a dermatologist, who loves to go the prescription route, but those harsh chemicals in the products he recommends just isn't something that provides long-term relief for me at all, plus they come with side effects with them that I am not keen about, and I just don't find anything that he has prescribed me to really effective enough overall. Neither has any of the OTC products he's recommended either. Which is why, I chose to go an organic, all natural route with my hair, and I am in progress towards switching over my skincare routine towards all natural and organic products as well.

I started using shampoo bars from Bobeam to start out, and the only one that I find that was least drying to my hair, was their Coconut, Honey, and Amla Conditioning Shampoo bar. However, it doesn't do well at controlling my scalp issues as well as I'd like. Honestly, none of the Bobeam shampoo bars control my scalp issues as much as I'd like. I have never tested the ph of them, but outside of the conditioning shampoo bar, the others that I have tried, are more drying and I suspect that their ph levels are high. However, I like that they get my hair and scalp really clean, yes, they do leave my hair noticeably dry at first after washing them out, but that is remedied with my styling cream that I use. The issue is, is that with Bobeam's shampoo bars, the itching and flaking and soreness to my scalp, eventually returns back within 3 days. I never get any waxy or excessive buildup from them, which I can say is a positive. All of the products that I have tried from Bobeam was recommended by the owner, Laquita, who is very nice, and has always been very helpful.

I decided to try CV's shampoo bars, because I had heard about them for quite a while, however, I had always chose to go with other lines, and had not taken things seriously about ordering from them until I read up on others experiences with CV's shampoo bars and other products on this site. So, I decided to start ordering from them recently. I started off with the Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo Bar. It is very moisturizing and conditioning, however, I have hair that is naturally very dry, so I definitely am okay with this moisturizing properties for sure. It helps my scalp in that it rids my scalp of a lot of flaking however, I still see noticeable redness to my scalp (not severe though with this bar), however, it only stops the itching for maybe a day at the most, before it starts creeping right back. I normally wash my hair once a week, however, with this shampoo bar, anytime I use it, I have to wash my hair more than once a week. because it's not very powerful at controlling my scalp eczema, which I can totally understand, because it's not designed to be a strong fighter against scalp eczema. However, I do like the shine, and the darkening effect that it gives to my hair. However, it is definitely not a shampoo bar that I could get away with using regularly at all (even though I tried).

Next, I gave the Neem & Tea Tree Bar a try, because that is what was recommended to me by one of the wonderful workers at CV. The smell is sort of a slight mix of bengay+ menthol. I am cool with it, even though it's not the best fragrance in the world to me, I gave it a try. I lathered very well with the bar, just like I do with every shampoo bar that I try, and it made my scalp feel very cooled off and refreshed. I was left with a slight tingling sensation after I thoroughly rinsed it out. It left my hair feeling somewhat dry, nothing major, but, I used a styling cream on my hair, so that helped with replenishment of moisture
    thereafter. I washed my hair with this bar on Sunday. It is now Tuesday, and the itchiness is definitely back and bothersome to me, Aldo I gave redness to my scalp but it's not that bad, no serious flaking action going on, however, my scalp does feel sore in spots. My hair is shiny and darker in color, and very manageable. However, I am thinking that when you have severe eczema, that washing with a shampoo bar, only once a week isn't best. Maybe I am waiting to long in be-tween washes? It's just that I have been scared of severely drying my hair and scalp out if I wash too regularly. I have also noticed that my curly hair is starting to look more straighter (it's went from looking like a 3b, to now a 3a, or even possibly 2c) with the CV bars, than with any of the Bobeam ones that I ever tried.

I also have purchased some of the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo bars, that I will be receiving within the next two days. I don't know whether to stick with the Neem and Tea Tree bar for the next couple of hair washes or give the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo bar a try after I get it. Is there anyone who has had great success with either bars really helping their scalp issues? Also, I have been interested in trying a soap bar to help with my seborrheic dermatitis on my face. Please let me know of any really good CV soap bars that have been very helpful to you (or possibly someone that you know) with their very dry, flaky skin?

Oh, and I don't currently do ACV rinses, as that's a no-no for me. My scalp can't handle such. Also, I don't use conditioner afterwards with shampoo bars, because, as long as I rinse my hair thoroughly, I have not encountered any problems with shampoo bar buildup.

Any and all advice is definitely welcome!

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The prodigal has returned! I was away from the forum for a little while, and I got very...very...lazy......aka falling back into old, bad habits! BUT! I'm getting back on the wagon!

Temporary goal: Classic, Final goal: To infinity and beyond!!
    currently at TBL, pressing on and hoping for Classic before I'm 20

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofHaleth View Post
    The prodigal has returned! I was away from the forum for a little while, and I got very...very...lazy......aka falling back into old, bad habits! BUT! I'm getting back on the wagon!
    Good luck!

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Reservechic View Post
    Good luck!
    Thank you! It takes my hair a bit to get into the poo bar groove, and I get tempted to give up...But not this time (probably )!!

Length
    Buzz/APL+/Knee
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I just received my first Chagrin Valley order. I got a few body and face soaps for my family (Aloe Aloe Aloe, Tea Tree Sea Buckthorn, and an Oatmeal and Honey shampoo for the pups) and Winter Survival and Honey Butter bars for me. All sample sized. I also got a Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bar to trial for the crown-only washes I've been doing mid-week between full washes with Indian herbs. Part of me wants to buy every single shampoo bar trial size they offer and go crazy experimenting, but I'm really happy overall with the herb routine so I'm fighting the urge.

Terminal-curious
    Indian herbs or OSCO, oiling, finger-combing, protective styles
    ISO M or L Old-Style Ficcis (Fall, Pearlized, or Classical)

I just got my first ever order from CV, 5 samples, though I'd just call them small size bars, they aren't super tiny. They smell very earthy, and similar to each other.

I chose Auburn Henna shampoo (for colour), Butter Bar Conditioner shampoo (for when I wash my length), grapeseed tomato complextion (for my face), and the nettle and ayurvedic herb shampoos because they sounded nice and it's always good to mix stuff up ocassionally.

My hair has been so cooperative with SO so I don't know when I'll get to try the hair stuff, but I did wash my face and it doesn't feel too dry, so that's promising. I'm excited!

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

After a couple of determined CV washes, I'm facing the same old frustrations. In the past I kept getting buildup and using regular shampoo to get rid of it, effectively sending myself back to square one. Are the bars themselves enough to get rid of buildup?

Length
    APL/BCL+/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It seems I'm not alone in being a first-time shampoo bar experimenter, and CV nonetheless! My first order is probably sitting in my mailbox this very moment. I got sample sizes of the Ayurvedic, Babassu Marsh Mallow, Neem +Tea Tree, and Nettle bars. For some reason I'm most eager to try the nettle. I think I made pretty decent choices for my low-porosity hair, but time will tell. I hope this works out! I don't mind the prospect of a transition period if the payoff is worth it, but I hope to not struggle with making these work. I will probably add extra drops of tea tree to the suds to help my SD, and continue with WCC and ACV rinses as I normally would.
    The maiden was saved by her Prince Charming, and by "Prince Charming" I mean flaxseed gel.