Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird question...let's talk about hair "cheating"?

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Weird question...let's talk about hair "cheating"?

I'd like to know some opinions. When is someone cheating? When they claim a length with stretched hair and not their natural wavy/curly hair? This is quite popular here, I've read some people say they feel like they're cheating.

How about hair alterations like relaxers, perms, BKT's, dyes or even basic styling with hot tools or braid waves/cold rollers? How about the sock bun?! Or that bun that you wrap around a big claw clip?

I personally feel like it's only "cheating" when someone actually adds hair extensions/wigs.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Weird question...let's talk about hair "cheating"?

Extensions, yes. Wigs are pretty obvious, and usually there due to hair loss or something, I don't even consider it in this. I also think maybe when people judge their length based on when it's wet, which can be quite a difference to what it actually is dry. I think also it's fine to stretch the hair and measure it and say it's so many inches, but to stretch it so that it hits a landmark (APL, BSL, WL, etc.) when it doesn't naturally fall there itself, and then to label your hair as such length, is a bit cheating. But whatever makes people happy. Sometimes it's nice to think you're somewhere you're not so you're not always wondering when you will be.
    Last edited by monsterna; July 5th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Is it cheating to have fake nails, plastic surgery or wigs due to chemotherapy that makes one happy? Sometimes I think so, but I have had to wear extensions after a bad haircut. I don't really like it and would love to have "natural hair" but right now, I just can't deal with having a really messed up haircut. Anyhow, that's why I cheat...
    ~Brenda Just want to get to APL right now!

Lady Firebrand of Warriors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/WL!/knee+
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Yeah, when I saw the word "cheating" the first thing I thought was "extensions". I don't think sock buns and changing your hair texture is cheating. More like playing around with what you've got.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Ummm I guess I consider hair "cheating" to be things like lying about your length or thickness, photoshopping your hair to look different, tilting the head back for length photos.. maybe even never showing your natural hair texture but claiming it is natural.

Honestly I feel like a number of people here do it. MOST don't but sometimes it is pretty obvious. I don't care much either way haha

Also, I don't consider wigs and extensions to be cheating if somebody is upfront about using them. Some people here use wigs because they have hair loss on top but still let what they have grow and show through the bottom ^^
    Last edited by xoxophelia; July 5th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda714 View Post
    Is it cheating to have fake nails, plastic surgery or wigs due to chemotherapy that makes one happy? Sometimes I think so, but I have had to wear extensions after a bad haircut. I don't really like it and would love to have "natural hair" but right now, I just can't deal with having a really messed up haircut. Anyhow, that's why I cheat...

I think fake nails and plastic surgery are cheating, but I don't think chemo wigs are in the same category as fake nails and plastic surgery.

But yeah, I don't think stretching out a curl or a wave is cheating, since it's still the actual hair.

And, I don't count sock buns as real buns, since most of that is something other than hair. So, I see those as the same thing as extensions, cheating. Especially if they don't have enough hair to make a real bun.

On the other hand, somebody else cheating doesn't affect me in any way, so they can cheat all they want. Doesn't make them a bad person, just a cheater.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Hey, Brenda! Don't be sad, I didn't mean to hurt people with this thread. I've worn extensions too! Yeah, I think it's cheating but I didn't exactly felt bad about it then, you shouldn't.

About stretching hair, it isn't a big deal when you're in the 1's and 2's, but past that people can really have shoulder length "natural" hair and REALLY long stretched hair, like MBL and such. Think about that. Wet hair is just a form of stretching, sometimes wet hair can't be even all that stretched.

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I don't know. Cheating is quite a harsh word that would imply lying and trying to full everyone in order to gain something.
    Unless you are selling a product and claim that it made your hair grow like crazy and then try to pass extensions as your own hair to prove the growth ... I don't see anything else as cheating. You can tell a wig, you can tell most extension sooner or later. If you are curly and relax your hair its still YOUR hair so its not cheating anyone.

Everyone wants to look their best, I don't see that as cheating.
    I love mixing up my oils!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/BCL?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I don't understand why someone would lie about their hair length/type/thickness or photoshop it on this forum. Do they want to live vicariously in these forums as a long haired rapunzel?

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by chahuahuas View Post
    I don't understand why someone would lie about their hair length/type/thickness or photoshop it on this forum. Do they want to live vicariously in these forums as a long haired rapunzel?
    Yeah. I can't really tell if people are cheating in pictures, though. We do have that great photoshop thread!