Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about benefits of oiling

Length
    2''/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Question about benefits of oiling

I've added castor oil to my hair regimen in hopes of increasing growth rate and attempting to ward off damage to the ends. I'm afraid to try Monistat because I already suffer from headaches. They are under control now with medication, but I do not want to do anything that might cause them to flare back up.

I've been oiling the last 3" at night for quite a while which causes no problems, but I never attempted a really deep oil scalp soak.

So I cut my castor oil with some sweet almond oil in a 75/25 mix to thin it a bit and make it easier to apply to my scalp. I massaged it in and got everything all oiled up, popped on a shower cap and went about my business for a few hours. When it came time to wash it out, I CWCd lathering twice, and went to bed. This morning when I woke up my hair was so oily there was no hiding it. I had to jump back in and SC to get it all out.

So, I guess my question is will having to lather up 4 times in all and then SCing instead of CWCing like I usually do negate any positive effect that deep oiling would provide?

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Question about benefits of oiling

I find that conditioner alone does a much better job of removing oil than shampoo. Why not give it a try next time?

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

I don't know. To me it would seem to be too much shampooing. I've really got my hair greased with coconut oil, I've added some AOHR for deep conditioning and I'm gonna see if the last of trader joe's nourish spa conditioner will degrease my hair. If I have to climb back in and wash it, I won't put this much in my hair again. I have tried caster oil and it seemed to be pretty thick. Perhaps a lighter oil might work better?

Length
    2''/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I'll probably give it a shot Saturday before washing again, and I'll see what using just condish to get it out does. I was really excited over the castor oil effect on growth rate, so if I can get it to work for me I would love to keep doing it.

I've had a simular experienced when I overzealously oiled my hair with a much lighter oil when I was newer to the practice and I recall it taking a nice bit of washing to remedy the situation.

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Conditioner seems to work to take oil out, just make sure to get it everywhere and leave it on a few minutes. I over do coconut all the time. I threw a protein treatment on my greasy mess and that really seemed to get rid of my oil fast. Not sure if I can tell how good oiling is from that though.

Lathering with shampoo 4 times cancels out the benefits of deep oiling. You should CO wash it out instead by applying conditioner to your dry hair 15 minutes before you get in the shower. Once you're there wet your hair slightly and massage a little more conditioner into your scalp. Put on a shower cap and go on about your other duties. Once your hair dries the oil should be gone.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I just lightly oil my scalp and ends with a tiny bit of oil that can be removed the next day with a regular shampoo bar washing.

Works well for me.

When I have heavily oiled even conditioner washing would seem to dry out my hair!!! I think the oil pulled more oil out when it was removed.

But doing the very light scalp and end oiling has helped me reduced my shedding to almost NONE!!!

I use an auryvedic oil with sesame, coconut oil, and castor oil with herbs.
    djh
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I've had these oiling mishaps. I have naturally oily scalp, so I just oil the length when it looks fried, and I use clarifying shampoo after. If I don't, it's disgustingly stringy/greasy and gross.

It's always a trial and error situation with oil/wash routine.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    BSL?/BSL/hip!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I find that wetting my hair before I oil it helps a lot - I know some people think that this is a weird thing to do since oil and water repel each other (?), and I don't know much about the science of it, but I get much better results this way than if I apply it to dry hair. It also seems a lot easier to rinse out.
    I leave it in for a few hours and then when I'm in the shower, I barely shampoo my scalp and then condition everything else.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Co washing twice should get all the oil out. Last time I did this, I found my hair was squeaky clean without being stripped.
    When I started oiling(with jojoba) I found my hair greasier than normal and looked unwashed . . . with time, I think my scalp just got used to it and I learned how to remove it better. I also found I prefer Vatika/coconut oil to jojoba. You may prefer a different oil.