Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How irrational are these fears?

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default How irrational are these fears?

I keep thinking about when my hair gets way longer, about to waist length or so. I love to wear my hair down, but I am getting freaked out at the possibility of some weirdo just coming along and chopping it off, or pulling it, or something to otherwise ruin it. It's kind of freaking me out and I don't know if any of you have ever had thoughts like that or got freaked out at the prospect of that happening?

I know it's really unlikely but it still scares me. Makes me feel like I'll have no choice but to wear it up all the time, so I won't even feel free. Anyone else feel/felt this way?

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: How irrational are these fears?

uhm i actually feel way more protected with it down than up.. dont know why.. feels saver in some way, i dont like my neck to be open
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I've had my hair long off and on, probably a total of a few years worth of experience. Once you get away from kids pulling and cutting each other's hair, it's pretty unusual. I think I've had my hair pulled (intentionally) twice to get my attention, and I've never had anyone actually attempt to cut it. Unintentional pulling does happen from time to time, like when people brush past you and don't realize that their jacket zipper or jewelery or whatev has snagged in your hair.

So it's a rare thing.

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I used to have a horrible nightmare, where I'd be on the bus wearing my hair in a ponytail, and a person sitting behind me would cut it off at the nape. It was horrible, when I went on buses I avoided sitting in front of people and wore it up in a bun.

Over time my fear has gone and I realised that it was pretty irrational. I mean, who would carry scissors to cut other people's hair off?
    Having said that, the nightmare was still scary!

Length
    12/33 WL/TB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Somewhere you know your hair fears are irrational, but you have them anyway. So that means that you don't feel confident about your abilities to spot and deal with people who have ill intentions even though the chance of anyone doing that to your hair is practically 0. I think it would be good for you to follow a course in self defense, just to help you feel safer and more in control. There are short courses for women that focus on key points in self defense that are easy to remember and employ.

I have been doing martial arts since 13 and I've never had to deal with any fears considering going out and walking somewhere at night, or being attacked in general. It just makes life so much easier. Doesn't mean I go looking for trouble and that I don't think something will ever happen to me, but having done this has helped my sense of safety and confidence immensely.
    Last edited by Maverick494; June 20th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

You're wise to be concerned about wearing your hair down--in any way, shape or form.

Not to sound paranoid, but long haired persons have had hair stolen by perverts who sneak up behind them, chop, and run away with the shorn hair.

Kids don't care if your hair is your crowning glory. All they know is that it's tempting to put gum in it "for fun". That happened to me and I was destroyed. Luckily, my grandmother knew exactly what to do to extract the gum without cutting the hair.

Unfortunately, the times we live in are much more uncaring of others than in the past. Perverts want "hair trophies" and will stalk and rush in with scissors, and before the poor victim can scream they're gone.

It was on the news a lot!

So enjoy your hair..but be darn careful!!

Length
    Chin/??/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Gahhh this is something I've thought about as well. I think its pretty irrational.
    However, if my hair is down, I usually have it over my shoulder where I can see it, or tuck it into my coat to protect it and keep it from getting tangled from wind or whatever.

It grew while I wasn't paying attention...how sneaky.

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    Somewhere you know your hair fears are irrational, but you have them anyway. So that means that you don't feel confident about your abilities to spot and deal with people who have ill intentions even though the chance of anyone doing that to your hair is practically 0. I think it would be good for you to follow a course in self defense, just to help you feel safer and more in control. There are short courses for women that focus on key points in self defense that are easy to remember and employ.

I have been doing martial arts since 13 and I've never had to deal with any fears considering going out and walking somewhere at night, or being attacked in general. It just makes life so much easier. Doesn't mean I go looking for trouble and that I don't think something will ever happen to me, but having done this has helped my sense of safety and confidence immensely.
    Not to get off too far off topic, but I've been thinking a lot lately about enrolling in some sort of martial arts of self-defense classes. Of course it's smart for any woman to be able to take care of herself (I hate that mentality that woman=victim), but aside from safety concerns, I think it would be very empowering and that's something I need in my life right now.

Waist is not an uncommon length. It won't get you much attention, luckily. People with every hair length have been targeted by freaks anyway. I've had gum mashed into my hair by one of those freaks.

It is a rare occurance and not something that will happen to you when you hair is waist length. You have an equal chance of that happening now, with APL length hair.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

this scares me, its possible but unlikely so when my hair is waist lenght i will always keep it up apart from when im with friends and people who i can trust.