Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about washing

Length
    ?/BSL/TB
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Question Confused about washing

Hi all!

So I've been reading these boards for a couple months now and there's a lot of great information to be had.

But I'm confused about something, and I can't seem to find the answer. I feel like this is a really silly question, but I have to ask!

I understand the difference between all the washing methods (no poo, CO, WO). I used shampoo bars for a month and they wound up wreaking havoc on my hair and scalp (itchy scalp, waxy hair). I washed my hair every three days, but that didn't seem to help and I wound up abandoning the bars altogether. Which makes me sad, because I really loved the idea of them (especially good for traveling!) but I feel as if I gave them a good try and they're just not for me.

So, in frustration, I decided to restart, as it were, and go back to the shampoo and conditioner for now (sulfate free and cone free) until my hair calms down a bit and I can try something else. My scalp is still very itchy even though I stopped using the shampoo bars two weeks ago, and ACV rinses and olive oil massages, while they help, aren't making the problem go away.

Here's where I'm a bit confused. So far I've been washing my hair twice a week using the condition-wash-condition method. I still shower every day, however, and I've been wetting my hair (I love to stick my head under the water - it's so relaxing ) and massaging it with my fingers on those days I'm not putting any products in it.

So am I actually doing a combination of WO and CWC, and actually washing my hair every day? When people say they only wash their hair twice a week, do they mean they don't get it wet on their non-washing days? Should I be using a shower cap so my hair doesn't get wet? Does it really make a difference if the hair stays dry?

I'm trying to find some sort of baseline by which I can judge other methods of washing so I can find a routine that works for me. I figured the first step was just to stretch out the wash days and just CWC for now.

Also, am I correct in assuming it's better for water to be lukewarm rather than scalding hot? I take very hot showers, which is another habit I'm trying to break, since I know it's not good for hair or skin.

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by StPaulaGirl; February 6th, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: took out an extra word that didn't belong

Length
    Waist/Chin/Neck
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Confused about washing

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulaGirl View Post
    So am I actually doing a combination of WO and CWC, and actually washing my hair every day? When people say they only wash their hair twice a week, do they mean they don't get it wet on their non-washing days? Should I be using a shower cap so my hair doesn't get wet? Does it really make a difference if the hair stays dry?
    Yes, you are washing your hair every day. I do the same thing, I CO-wash currently every other day and WO-wash on most in-between days. Probably when most people here say they wash their hair for example once a week, they mean they wet their hair once a week. WO-washing does remove some of the sebum and dirt you may have in your hair. If you don't need it, I don't advice doing it, because your hair is more fragile when it's wet, so your more likely to get damage. Using a shower cap or putting your hair up while you shower is a good idea.

Also, am I correct in assuming it's better for water to be lukewarm rather than scalding hot? I take very hot showers, which is another habit I'm trying to break, since I know it's not good for hair or skin.
    You are right, hot water isn't good for your skin or hair, it's better to wash with warm water. I usually do the last rinse with cold water - my scalp starts to itch if I don't, and cold water is supposed to close the cuticles of your hair and make it shinier.

Length
    Shldr/BSL+/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Well I can't answer all of your questions but I can say that I wash my hair twice a week and I don't wet it in between. I have it in a bun when I shower.

I also looooove hot hot showers, steeeaaaming hot! but I'm trying to quit. I now shower in warm water and rinse my hair with cold ACV rinse. I still can't take cold showers!
    Shld --> APL --> BSL --> Waist -->

Length
    pixie/23/39
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I wash my hair every four days, and keep it up in a bun when I'm in the shower. Sometimes the roots at the back/nape of my neck will get wet if I sink down a little too deep in the bath :P but other than that, my hair stays predominately dry with the exception of wash day.
    Last edited by elfgirl; February 6th, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lady Elenya of Galadhrim in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    *Pixie*Chin*APL*BSL*Waist (definite goal)*Hip—>Classic??*
    2b/c * F *

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Personally I wet my hair every time I'm in the shower. It's just stiff and odd when I don't and I notice more shedding. My hair dries pretty quickly anyway. I plan on wetting it less when it's long enough to get into a really, really good and secure bun but right now it's just long enough to get into an elastic. I only use washing products twice a week.
    Last edited by Mairéad; February 6th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

I wash my hair about twice a week and in between washes I keep it up in a bun while showering.

I understand the OPs desire to get her hair wet. It is relaxing. Also, I love the ritual of washing my hair. I like all that goes with it, the scent of the products, lathering my hair, rinsing it, combing it, applying oils, etc. All of these steps remind me of how I enjoy my hair and I miss doing them when I'm in the shower on a non-wash day.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I count getting the hair thoroughly wet as a wash, although to me it isn't exactly WO because if you're WO you're never using a cleansing product--that is, you can't really alternate washing with water and washing with shampoo and be WO. This is because WO needs a period of time without cleansing products (other than water) to really work.

Anyway, in your case, if you feel better rinsing your hair on those days you don't use shampoo, go right ahead. I cover my hair if I'm not washing it, but I don't think it would hurt it to be rinsed. It just takes so long to dry that I don't want it wet unless it's actually washed. Daily rinsing with water may help you stretch washes, but it may not. I just don't think it's a big deal if you like doing it (but you don't have to).

When people say they only wash their hair twice a week, do they mean they don't get it wet on their non-washing days? Should I be using a shower cap so my hair doesn't get wet? Does it really make a difference if the hair stays dry?
    Yes, they are not wetting their hair other than those twice weekly hair washes. For my length, it makes a huge difference if the hair stays dry between hair washes. Because it takes hours for my hair to dry at all, and putting it up in a bun for the day, while wet, means it never dries and can take almost 2 days to dry.

I just put my hair up. I have a nice setup in the bathroom such as the shower water doesn't touch my hair. Maybe around the hairline it becomes sprayed with water dribbles, but not the whole hair.

Using a shower cap I reserve for higher position shower water. Your shower water trim makes a huge difference for how the water hits you. So you may need a shower cap. It just depends on the setup.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Thank you for reading.
    I wash my hair in fairly warm water, not overly tepid. I don't like freezing while I'm in the shower.

I find that warmer water, not uber hot nor too tepid temperature, is very helpful for the uptake of conditioner. Especially in the winter. Product in winter is often very cold and somewhat not overly runny. So the warmer water helps with emulsification and spreading throughout the hair.

When you wash dishes, you use relatively warm water. Ever apply detergent on a sponge that's too dry? What happens? That can happen if the water is too tepid when shampooing or conditioning. It sort of just stands there and doesn't really smear around UNTIL it's wetted, and with warmer water, too.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I use a shower-cap on non-wash days with my hair in a bun under the cap. I wear the cap so I don't have to be quite as careful about the water from the shower-head. I still try to avoid getting the cap wet (directly under the spray) but there is less accidental hair-wetting with the cap on. The hairline still gets very slightly damp from spray, but that's not a big deal.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.