Thread: Split End Woes :'(

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Split End Woes :'(

I have fought the battle of growing my hair for 2 years now. My hair is naturally curly and thus dry so I am extremely prone to split ends.
    I deep condition once a week with cone free condish mixed with olive oil under my hooded dryer, I oil daily with Amla and I only use cone free products on my hair...oh and I leave in about 70% of the conditioner and just scrunch with a microfiber towel or paper towel so I *know* I am giving my hair tons of moisture

I air dry or with diffuser and STILL get split ends

The kicker is that anytime...and I literally mean ANYTIME I see a white dot or a split I run for the scissors. I am so worried that with a couple of splits my hair won't grow...

I am trying to figure out if I have been sabotaging my own growth by being so paranoid?

I don't know if I need to put down the scissors and just let nature take its course with my hair or if I need to alter my routine?

Advice is most certainly welcome!!!
    Women.... Who made 'em? God must have been a... genius. Their hair. They say that the hair is everything, you know? Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls, and just wanted to go to sleep forever? ~Bo Goldman

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Split End Woes :'(

How long is your hair and how do you wear it day-to-day? How often are you combing it? Do you detangle dry, damp, or leaded with conditioner only? Do you flat iron it?

Wearing it in a contained style is generally more protective against splits (though it can be argued that you should also be allowed to enjoy your hair loose occasionally if that's what you prefer -- it's quite a balancing act). Most curlies also find it's best to only detangle when their hair is saturated with conditioner for lubrication, though you have to be careful and work slow in this case, since wet hair is more stretchy and fragile than dry hair.

Meanwhile, obviously flat ironing isn't good for your hair and won't do it any favors. Heat protective silicone-rich sprays and serums are supposed to lessen the damage, but less heat is always better.

Finally, how sharp are your scissors? Hair cut with dull scissors tends to re-split.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    jaw/BSL/TLBNE
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I don't have any advice per se, but I can commiserate with you. I can't flat iron even once without doing damage. I made it from chin to APL by virtually ignoring my hair, and I haven't cut or trimmed my hair since late September 2010. I wash occasionally (I really do ignore my hair.. I can't even tell you how often I wash LOL), and I use coconut oil. I detangle wet hair after washing, and I don't brush it when dry.

I say your hair will grow, split ends or not. My hair has gained length, and it does have split ends. But, the thing is, my hair always gets split ends whether it is short or longer...

I think your routine sounds good... maybe practice a little more patience before reaching for scissors, and after a few months go and get a small trim.

Take care,

Cass
    Last edited by chaoticwaves; June 15th, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

~'*'~~'*'~~'*'~~'*'~~'*'~~'*'~
    Cass

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I would suggest trying castor oil, i have been experimenting with this and other oils, my ends improved the best with this and I have tried olive oil and coconut before. I have permanent dye and bleach in parts so it was pretty damaged. I have seen a decrease in the severity of splits and I am a regular blow fry girlie. Wish you luck

Length
    S/BSL/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Blunt scissors?
    grow hair grow!

follow my blog here

Type
    2b/M/iii

I've never met a microfiber towel I liked. They scratch my skin. I can't think what they'd do to fragile hair.

Also, dispense with the heat and go with air drying. Much more beneficial!

Good luck! Go slowly...curlies are prone to a LOT more breakage due to the structure of their hair. But you can control how much damage happens if you're vigilant and use hair friendly products..and styles.

Have you tried using a silk or satin pillowcase cover?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I'm afraid I am doing the same thing? When I see splits I think I have have have to cut them out or they're just going to split up the shaft anyway and rip off and with such short hair as it is I can't afford that to happen but cutting them is keeping it short regardless. It really is a lose-lose since you cannot repair split ends... but using coconut oil every day makes them not 'appear'... I stopped using coconut oil for a week and found tons of splits on the back of my head and I don't think it was a coincidence.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Maybe it's more of how you handle you hair throughout the day
    If the ends are brushing around other things throughout the days, the chances of getting splits and breakage are higher than when you leave your hair in an updo, even if you cut every single one you can find.
    I suggest be really gentle to it, leave it up, and forget about it for a while.