Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice about length and cut needed.

Length
    Chin/24"/40"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Advice about length and cut needed.

Ok, well my hair is currently 22 1/2" long which on me is BSL. I'm very short measuring in at 5"3. I've noticed my ends are rather thin( pictures below) Which leads me to my question. Do you think I should cut the ends and if so how much?? I also have layers which are shoulder length and bangs which I am in the process of growing out. Which leads me to my 2nd question..... should I cut my hair shoulder length so the growing out process would be even or should I just wait it out?? My roots are rather dark because I've decided no more dyes or bleach. I want virgin hair again.Thank you all for any advice offered.

Length
    Chin/24"/40"
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Advice about length and cut needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The last one was taken on 5-29-2011

Length
    8.5"/19"/42"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hmm...this is a tough one. On the one hand, there's nothing like a fresh start. It's even good for your hair. On the other hand, you don't want to cut it so short that you hate it (like I did!)
    I would probably say go for shoulder-length, IF you know you will feel comfortable with it at that length. If it'll make you cry every day, then don't worry about it.

Type
    2a/F/ii

If I were you I'd cut one or two inches of the ends to thicken up the hemline.

I wouldn't cut my hair shoulder length, I say this because my hair is in the same situation I have layers that go up to my shoulders and I just can't give up the length, so my advice is to just wait it out.

But it is all up to you and what you want to do with your hair, I can only tell you what I would do. Good luck deciding.
    Last edited by Roscata; June 13th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's in somewhat of a U-shape already, so what I would do is have the edges trimmed, keeping it in the U-shape. I don't think you need to lose more than about 1/2 inch, and it would have better flow and not be choppy at the ends.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I would trim a couple of inches off of it this month, and then trim a few more next month if it doesn't seems like it was enough. There is no point in traumatizing yourself w/ a big chop if you aren't ready, though I DO think it would look good at shoulder length, and it would still be long enough to put up.

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think shoulder will be way too drastic. Hey, think of it this way, maybe: your hairs will all cycle over in about seven years, give or take, so seven years from now the layers and dye will all be gone no matter what you do today.

In the meantime, I think cutting an inch off the ends will thicken them up appreciably and give the whole thing a more intentional look.

Length
    12"/17"/?????
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Cut no more than one inch off, that should make a difference. Wait a month to see if it needs some more trimming. Your hair is fine, it's pretty, don't cut off all of it, everything will grow out. Do deep conditionioners to put back moisture and oils to maintain.
    ~Brenda Just want to get to APL right now!

Lady Firebrand of Warriors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Id keep the U shape and go for no more than an inch.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    25.5/25.5/30
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Id keep the U shape and go for no more than an inch.
    I agree with this. It will feel sooo much thicker in the hemline with just a small trim. Then you can always cut off more if you need to.
    Starting length: 25.5 inches Mini Goal: 30 inches (waist) Goal: 35 inches (hip-ish)
    Time to stop obsessing, and start enjoying my hair! If it grows, so be it.