Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable updos.

Length
    chin/waist/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Comfortable updos.

I can't ever do any updo properly without it tugging on a few strands of my hair, and it is incredibly annoying. I hate it.

I can't do any kind of a bun without it pulling on like a few strands of my hair. I can't even do a braid(even though it's not an updo...) without it tugging on some strands of my hair, and if I try to fix it it later looks horrible...

Am I doing it wrong or is there just no such thing as a comfortable bun or updo?

Length
    21/60/Max
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Comfortable updos.

I occasionally get that problem, but I get it less if I don't brush my hair tightly back into the updo. I use my fingers to pull my hair back and run them through from the roots so as it is pulled back evenly but not too tightly.

I personally can't wear my hair up when its pulling, and at work i'll have a bit of a poke to stop it if it starts to, teasing the tighter strands to give a bit more slack. Different updo's distribute the weight differently so maybe try practicing a variety when you have the time so you can find a way of doing them so they don't pull.

Personally I find a nautalus (probably spelt wrong) is one of the most comfortable buns, or a multi cliped cinabun, or how I wear my hair for work, a style I adapted myself from a style found on an Iron Age Danish bogbody.
    Trying to find my maximum length
    (without the maths)
    https://www.youtube.com/PansPage

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I just twist and put up with a beak clip-fast and easy and comfortable if I lie down .

Length
    waist/TB/long

For me the trick is to set the bun a little high; not on top of the head, but high on the back of the head. A low bun pulls more for me. If I get it at the right height, it never hurts a bit.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

How are you typically securing your hair? I find a single horizontal hairstick to be about the most comfortable. Two hairsticks are OK, but they pull a few hairs if I cross them.

Also, I have the best luck if I do my hair when both my hair and hands are dry. Damp hands tend to pull a few strands for me.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It can be a challenge, but there are up-styles that are comfortable. I sometimes have a problem finding one, though. On an average day, I probably re-do my hair 3-4 or more times. But every once in awhile the planets are in perfect alignment and my first attempt is comfortable all day long. The next day I'll try the exact same style in the exact same place, and it pulls so much I just about go insane within about 10 minutes. I don't know why! So I keep trying.

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Sectioned buns seem to be working for me lately. Madora suggested it to me.

Basically I part my hair horizontally from ear to ear, clip the front section out of the way, then bun the back. (braid first if desired.) Secure with pins.

Then pull the front section back, braid if desired, and wrap it around the bun you made and secure with more pins.

It looks like one big bun but it's much less pull-y.

Length
    16.1/30.31/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

yes I have that problem as well, sometimes it feels like the bun is only hanging on 4 or 5 hairs on my head.
    also have no clue what is causing it it happens sometimes with buns that most of the time are comfy, but then suddenly not anymore.
    it does not really matter if I make loose buns or tight buns either.
    maybe it has to do with wearing the same hairstyle to often?

I did notice before that it goes better when I part my hair and make the bun a bit lower, instead of combing my hair backwards.

I never have it with braids though, those are my last recourse if I cant get a bun to sit comfy.
    do you maybe braid very tight?
    May 12th 2012, virgin hair back!
    chin, shoulder,apl,bsl,waist, hip,tailbone, classic.
    Hip length expected in January 2016.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

How tight are you bunning/braiding? Where are you bunning/braiding from (high up, middle of back of head, nape)? What buns are you doing? What are you using to hold up the buns, and how many? Are you bunning/braiding wet/damp? Do you have a parting and, if so, are you erasing it by combing your hair back before bunning/braiding?

Answers to those questions might help us help you better.

My most comfortable bun is a nautilus on the nape of my neck held with a horn two-prong comb when dry or a Mega-flexi when wet. I wear it most days.

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

I find that low buns (those that sit on my nape) are the most comfortable as far as pulling. But, I agree that you may be pulling your braids too tight - I almost never have that trouble with braids.