Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair absorbing strong smells?

Length
    ~APL/33/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Hair absorbing strong smells?

This is kinda gross, but there's this Mexican restaurant by my house that I go to relatively frequently- and every time I get home, my hair REEKS of the food! It's disgusting. Tonight I went there, and tried a light oiling and bunning my hair...no luck.
    If I'm ever around cigarette or cigar smoke, my hair absorbs that as well. I'm not a smoker myself, but even sitting near someone smoking outside, my hair will catch the scent.
    I wonder if my hair is just very porous and absorbent, or if anyone else has had a similar experience? Any ways to avoid smelling like a cigarette or a fajita?

Goal is a couple of inches longer with thicker ends and longer layers!

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair absorbing strong smells?

I get the same thing, my hair isn't all that porous. The only way I've been able to fix it is wash my hair, but when you've just gone out with freshly washed hair, it's a right pain in the backside.

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Hair and skin can both totally absorb scents! When I was in the UK on study abroad, I'd go out drinking with my housemates, and I'd come home reeking of smoke - not just my clothing, but my hair and skin, too.

I've never found an effective way of preventing it, just shower and wash everything afterwards.

~Blaze

Type
    1b/M/ii

Same thing happens to me, all I need is a friendly smoker puffing near me, and my hair will smell like an ashtray for the rest of the day
    I wouldn't say it's a porosity thing, though, for the better or worse, hair is just good at absorbing smells. Ever tried to put a drop of jasmine EO on your hair? The smell lasts for days

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

DH's ex-wife has always had dry, thin hair that absorbs smells a lot. Mine does, too, but not as much; mine is also thin and fine, and maybe dryish? But mine is also thicker than hers, so maybe that has something to do with why mine doesn't do it as much? I really don't know why this happens only to some people. I doubt color has much to do with it, but she's a blonde and I'm a brunette. She also highlights her hair and mine is virgin... so maybe dye has something to do with it, too. I dunno! I'd love to know the answer so I can do something about it.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I second strong (but good) smelling essential oils- like rosemary oil. You could also spray a little perfume in your hair to make it smell a little less Mexican .
    There are two types of people in the world; those who play to win and those who play not to lose.

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

When I used to work in a nightclub, way before the smoking in public was outlawed, I had to take a shower as soon as I got home even if it was at 4am because my hair smelled so much like smoke. It was just disgusting!! I don't even smoke and nobody from the stuff smoked either. It was just from what was in the air.
    Can't say I found anything that worked well to combat the intake of smell. Putting it up in a tight bun would make it smell less, but it still smelled.
    I love mixing up my oils!

Length
    ~APL/33/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Washing seems like the only way to fix it! I'll have to try using an essential oil, I wouldn't mind my hair absorbing something that smells good

Annibelle- My hair is pretty thick and has never been dyed, so I don't know if those are factors or not. Either way, it's gross, and unpleasant!

pepperminttea- Couldn't have said it better myself. It definitely is "a right pain in the backside"!

Goal is a couple of inches longer with thicker ends and longer layers!

Length
    sl/hip/TB
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii/iii

I use a spray made by Tresseme for refreshing the hair between washes. It has a fresh, citrus scent and it works very well. Just lightly spray all over. It does have cones, however. They also make some waterless shampoos.

Length
    24/25/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I recognise the feeling.. I'm a vegetarian but my DBF eats meat. When he fries bacon I can feel the smell in my hair for days, yuk!
    No Poo since september 2010 but still experimenting..
    apl - bsl - midback - waist