Thread: getting moisture into hair...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default getting moisture into hair...

I think my hair desperately needs moisture. I think my hair is dry and that's why it's frizzy. Many of you know I have tried so many different things from oils to conditioners to cassia. I will try anything. How do you get moisture into your hair? Other than coconut oil, will anything actually penetrate the hair shaft and actually moisturize hair or will it lay on top and then just wash off? I need your help hair guru's!!

~cassia head~
    ride the wave baby

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: getting moisture into hair...

Have you tried a deep conditioning treatment like SMT?

Recipe:
    1 part aloe vera gel
    1 part honey
    4 parts conditioner

The honey draws moisture from the air, but this doesn't work if you are in a dry climate

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I tried the honey and conditioner part of a SMT on my hair especially the roots it gets so frizzy due to it being wavy . It left it lovely and so soft i also found ACV rinses great.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    APL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Have you tried CO washing? With a conditioner that's not containing sulphates? Schampoos and conditioners containing sulphates can dry out your hair.
    Stay strong, grow on!

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I rarely shampoo and yes I use sulphate free poo when I do. I need to get some more acv, did a rinse over the weekend and it left my dry hair feeling so nice, which went away next time I co'd wash. Need more honey too!!

~cassia head~
    ride the wave baby

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Have you tried leave-in conditioner? Some wash-off conditioners can also be used as a leave-in, so you won't necessarily have to purchase a new product. Leave-ins really tame my fluff/ poof.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    Have you tried leave-in conditioner? Some wash-off conditioners can also be used as a leave-in, so you won't necessarily have to purchase a new product. Leave-ins really tame my fluff/ poof.
    I always use a leave in, either my co conditioner- just a little after my rinse, or some sort of oil- coconut, camellia, or whatever I have concocted lately- usually a mix of conditioner and oil and water.

~cassia head~
    ride the wave baby

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bella77 View Post
    I always use a leave in, either my co conditioner- just a little after my rinse, or some sort of oil- coconut, camellia, or whatever I have concocted lately- usually a mix of conditioner and oil and water.
    Oils are not humectants or emollients they are sealants and protectors. My CO-wash conditioner is too light to use as a leave-in, maybe you need a richer product? I use Fructis Triple Nutrition which contains palm oil so could do the job of both. For me it is more effective to scrunch conditioner into wet hair than to apply conditioner mixed with water to damp hair. I was shocked how much better it controls the fluff/ poof, and my hair is much curlier.

Curly Girl technique links here.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    waist/waist/waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Have you tried the oil treatment by Moroccanoil? I started a thread about it in the products section. Check it out!

Length
    2"/20"/37"

My favorite moisture treatment is:

4.5 to 5 ounce jar of baby food bananas
    1 tablespoon of EVOO
    1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice.
    Mix well

Shampoo, then apply mixture and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse well. It's heavy duty for my hair, but works great to put elasticity back in my hair. If you have fine hair you might want to experiment on whether or not you apply it as a pre-poo first and then shampoo, or whether your hair can take applying it as an "after shampoo" treatment.

My hair is very dry, so I can handle it as an "after shampoo" treatment, and actually there are some times when I will rinse only lightly and leave a little in. I end up having to bun it, but I'm ok with that for a deeper conditioning treatment.

Experimenting is truly the key.