Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Care

Length
    23/29/BSL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Default Summer Care

I am a big-time swimmer, long-time fan of it... it doesn't matter where... the beach, the lake, the pool.

BUT

it can really damage my hair.

I was wondering what all of your tips and tricks are for keeping hair healthy if it's gonna be wet/dry/wet again all day long.

What styles and/or products do you use???

I love to hear from you!!!
    ~ Sofoulee ~
    ...the curly girl...

Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I use monoi oil. And am looking for the perfect hat

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Wetting my hair and adding conditioner and coconut oil before a swim really helps. Scarves and hats in the sun do too!
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Well, for lakes I don't do anything, and find my hair actually quite likes lake water, though I know that depends upon the cleanliness of the lake (although if I'm going to have to wash my hair after swimming in a lake chances are I won't go in it :P). I've found with swimming in a chlorinated pool, if my hair isn't in need of a wash beforehand a short CO with a condish containing EDTA works wonders. If it does need a wash beforehand I'll use a moisturising shampoo and condish. I also wet my hair before going into the pool if I remember/can be bothered. As for the sea, I just wash or CO afterwards like I do with a pool, though I haven't swum in salt water much, as the North Sea is generally too cold for full submersion and where I live in Canada there's no sea for hundreds of miles.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    shldr/shldr/shldr

Definitely wet your hair before you go swimming. You don't want your hair to absorb the chlorine. And when you get out of the pool, rinse your hair with water again. (The same applies at the beach.)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Adding another vote for wetting your hair with fresh water before swimming in chlorine or salt water. I don't bother if I'm in and out of a lake all the time, which is my preferred swimming environment.

I usually just wear a long braid when I'm in and out of the water a lot. It's still tangled (especially at the base, where the shorter stuff pulls out), but much better than it otherwise might be.

I burned my scalp (not just my part, but the whole top of my head) about a week ago, when I was in and out of water a lot. It started peeling a little today. So I'm going to add that you might want to apply a spray-on sunscreen to your scalp, or else where a hat or bandana most of the time. Sunscreen shouldn't hurt your hair, either, if you want to work it in, but you'll have to shampoo it out.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    23/29/BSL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Are braids pretty much the standard if you're going to be in water??
    ~ Sofoulee ~
    ...the curly girl...

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've seen lots of loose hair or ponytails, too, but for me those mean tangles and/or mouthfuls of hair when I come up for air.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I seem to recall many years ago, revlon made a shampoo for swimmers. I'm not sure if they have any you can purchase at a salon--it's something that is not harsh on your hair, but removes the chlorine. Then, there is a conditioner that rehydrates. I love swimming too, but I tend to swim in lakes.

Type
    2a/M/ii

i am going to oceans of fun tommarow for my birthday!
    And i was gonna wash my hair tonight but then i wondered...should i wash my hair and then wet it down and put oil in it?
    Or would it be better to go swimming with it unwashed so maybe the natural oil can protect it better?
    just wondering thanks!

>.> i feel really bad im gonna have my hair in clorine..one time wont hurt right?!