Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Growth Rate & Age

Length
    20/BSL/WAIST
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Hair Growth Rate & Age

Hello,

This has probably been posted before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I was going through some old photo's the other day and found some of me when I was graduating Grade 12. I had just chopped my hair to my ears! Don't know what I was thinking. Then I found another photo which was taken roughly 2.5 years later in college, and my hair was at waist length! I couldn't believe that I had hair that nice and long. I was probably about 21 or 22 at the time. Mind you, back then I never dyed my hair. I straightened it all the time though, and I really don't remember taking care of it that well: Shampoo & condition, throw in some anti-frizz gel\mousse, and either tied it up or blow-dried and straightened. I had no clue about hair care at the time, never took vitamins or ate my veggies, lol, but somehow I still managed to grow out a bob cut and get waist length hair in 2.5 years.

Does your age affect your growth rate? Just curious if I can still grow my hair to my waist in two years (that's if I don't colour it after I get rid of this bleach). I'll be 31 in August, btw.

Gwen
    ~Collar Bone~ ~Shoulder~ ~APL~ ~Awkward Stage~ ~BSL~ ~Waist ~

Length
    Pixie/23 AP/27
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Hair Growth Rate & Age

I think my growth rate is still pretty decent, I have gained an inch average in 6 weeks. My only issue is a slightly thinned hairline--I'm 34. But, that could be due to poor scalp/haircare over the past year and now it's growing in.
    I have a SIL with the most amazing thick hair that has ranged from BSL to waist. She has noticed slower growth and she is in her mid-30's.
    It seems that as we age we may lose some hair vitality but we gain scalp/haircare knowledge. Lol, maybe it balances out.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I don't really think age has much to do with hair growth. I think it's more genetics. I'm 55 and my hair is still growing (knock wood)

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    11"/41/44
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I don't think it's age, per se. I still have a decent growth rate.

I do think it may be a combination of genetics and overall health.

As we age to and past 30, the bad health habits (lack of sleep, too many recreational substances, lack of exercise, and poor nutritional choices) that we develop as young adults seemingly without penalty, start to show in our overall health, in our skin, and in our hair.

I know when my health is poor, my hair sheds a lot more and looks dull and lifeless, but when I am healthy my hair stops shedding and looks shiny.

Hair is vitally personal to children. They weep vigorously when it is cut for the first time; no matter how it grows, ~Charles Chaplin

Length
    15/31/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Well I take better care of myself and eat better and it has slowed in the past couple of years. I have been blaming it on my age even though I am not that old. When I was a teen I could grow a foot a year. Now I am to about half of that. Still good growth but not near what it was.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I'm 59 and my rate of growth is still the same as when younger,the longest I had my hair was near my tailbone in my 20's.I am getting close to waist and I'm hoping to be able to reach my previous long length.So far so good,except for some gray and minor thinning it isn't that different from my younger days.

I'm 49 and my hair still grows at a rate of 1/2" a month.

Length
    20/BSL/WAIST
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Thank you for all the replies! They reassure me that I have a good chance of acheiving my waist-length goal in a decent amount of time if I just stop colouring my hair and take care of it

Gwen
    ~Collar Bone~ ~Shoulder~ ~APL~ ~Awkward Stage~ ~BSL~ ~Waist ~

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm finding it harder to grow because of the growth-rate per month. The poor quality of hair was due to hair dye, blow drying and harsh products. The quality of hair has improved substantially since stopping all that. Just wish that my growth-rate was faster.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    22"/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Agreeing with others-- my growth rate is very good and hasn't changed over the years.
    *******Firefly*******
    2a/F-M/ii ~~ Hip