Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke and hair?

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Question Smoke and hair?

First post, hey y'all ^^

I have a relatively quick question but I'm not sure how to phrase it ^^; the last couple of weeks I've been spending the weekends with a guy I've recently been seeing and staying over at his place. I care for my hair quite obsessively when I'm home but since I don't want to do that over there, I braid it to keep it from tangling and try to avoid any mechanical damage.

But no matter what I do in advance, my hair is horribly dry and tangled when I get back home. Even with French or Dutch braids it still tangles, but it is at least kept to a minimum. The length however, feels like straw. Even when I used to leave chlorine in my hair for nearly a week, it didn't feel this bad.

My routine is listed in my profile but it basically comes down to CO, weekly treatments of either oil, SMT or protein and wearing it up pretty much always. I've chemically dyed once, and have done lowlights twice, but other than that I don't feel like my hair is really damaged.

Now the only thing I can think of that could be drying my hair out this bad, is the fact that there's an awful lot of cigarette smoke in his place. Could it be that that is what's making my hair feel so awful? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me, I love this forum and have learned so much from just lurking and browsing for a couple of months ^_^

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Smoke and hair?

Whenever I go over a friend's home, my hair is always dry and tangly. I'm positive it is her cigarette smoke. Can you do a leave-in or a protective oiling before going over? The leave in always helps me.
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic

Length
    22/MidBk/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

I'm one of the smokiest people in the neighborhood (oh poo on quitting... don't rub it in please, I've tried... I smoke a pack less per day than I used to... gotta start easy now)... and my hair does get dry if I don't have it up and or oiled which I always always do, it's easy to prevent the smoke-dry feeling !! Just add oil, and bun/braid. All set.
    "If it does not inevitably impact the quality and happiness of your life, you should not let it, more power to you" - Z. Z. Regina

Length
    buzz/33"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Both myself and the BF are smokers, we don't smoke inside though. Try asking nicely if he minds smoking on the balcony or something? Or oil your hair, bun it and maybe wear a headscarf to keep the worst of the nasties off it?

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Thanks for the replies everyone! ^^

I do always wear a bit of coconut oil in my hair, and if I'm braiding it anyway I may as well do it a little heavier and see if it works ^_^ (I didn't before because I want my hair to look nice, not greasy, but if I'm restraining it anyway xD)

I'll look into head scarves, need to find a silk one for sleeping anyways, thanks for the suggestion Elysium ^^ I think I may step outside when he's actually smoking (I really don't want to ask him to smoke outside in his own appartment ^^ but the room seems pretty heavy with smoke even if he isn't actually smoking at the time :/

Good to know it's probably the smoke and not something else I'm doing wrong, I'll definitely try all of these out and cross my fingers for it to help ^_^

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Smoke is drying on the skin and hair, and secondhand smoke is at least as hazardous to health as the cigarette is for the smoker. If your new guy has smoked in the house for a period of time it will have permeated everything from the walls to the mattress, so one or other of you going outside will not resolve the issue. Research has proven smoke on a parent's clothing is harmful to young children - even when they smoke outside exclusively - so being in that flat is not healthy. Could you meet up at your place or somewhere neutral?
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    Pixie/27.5/term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Please, let us not devolve into talking about the health aspects of smoking. That's not the question that was asked.

As a previous smoker, I can tell you that I had to oil/protect my hair more than I have to do now. I haven't had a cigarette in 10 months and my hair isn't nearly as dry and doesn't require nearly as much in the way of protective oiling.
    2a/b, M, ii
    Chin/Shoulder/UP/APL/BSL/LBL/WL/TBL/CL

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by faerielady View Post
    Please, let us not devolve into talking about the health aspects of smoking. That's not the question that was asked.
    I'm sorry if I have offended. Perhaps for fear of being too blunt I have been too vague: you cannot separate the health aspect from the hair aspect, the level of smoke she refers to will affect the OP's hair from the inside out, via oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, peripheral circulation and use of antioxidants to fight free radicals. There is no judgment or preaching since many of my friends and most of my ex's smoke, each to their own.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    S/BSL/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by faerielady View Post

As a previous smoker, I can tell you that I had to oil/protect my hair more than I have to do now. I haven't had a cigarette in 10 months and my hair isn't nearly as dry and doesn't require nearly as much in the way of protective oiling.
    I completely agree with this since quitting smoking 6 months ago (yea for me!) my hair and skin have become so much healthier, smoother and more nourished looking.

Perhaps deeeeeeep oiling and treatments when your there. If he smokes inside though you will probably find it's in all the bedding and lounges and anything you put your head on
    grow hair grow!

follow my blog here

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oiling definitely seems like my best bet, and the headscarf is looking like a better and better idea as well because I had not considered that the smoke would get in bedding and such as well.

Neither had I considered that the smoke may affect my hair from inside out, so although I did not ask about the health aspects of smoking I'm glad it was brought up. The level of smoke is quite bad (there's a notable difference between the air in the the hallway and in his room) so perhaps we could both do with a bit more fresh air