Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark hair + braids not so nice?

Length
    bsl/waist/elbow
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Angry Dark hair + braids not so nice?

Hi everyone. I love braiding my hair, I can do intricate braids and whatever BUT my hair is dark. With henna it turned jet black. I noticed that the women who have lighter hair have it so much better! You get to see the details of the braid, unlike when you have black hair like I do, the braids look like one lump of well.. lumpy hair.

Anyone else has this frustration?
    Onward, GROW! long hair = 女人的味道
    March 2010: BSL March 2011: waist

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Dark hair + braids not so nice?

Braids in dark hair look just fine! Remember that most people will be seeing them in better light and at a better angle than you can yourself!

Length
    MBL/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

I also think that braids in dark hair look great. Even if it looks like 'one lump of hair' in the mirror, sunlight outside always makes hair look great, because of the light reflections.
    I also think that black hair mostly looks much glossier than blond hair, especially in a braid.
    I found one really nice picture of a french braid with dark hair. I am just posting the link, because I don't want to 'steal' the picture...
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-0uXNRLno...ds-330x439.jpg

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

honestly i think it depends. When i wear my hair in a fishtail braid people notice it's a fishtail, but if i do a braided chinese bun they can't really see the beautiful intricacy like i can. But that's just my hair, it could also be the area i live in and people around here don't pay attention to stuff like that XD

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I don't know how well it'll work with braids, being not much of a braider myself, but you could try coloured clip-in extensions. I think it looks awesome when different colours are woven into a braid, and with intricate braids, it'll probably look even more amazing.

I love chickens.  vanity_acefake's Avatar
    Length
    13/33/Termi
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

I have very dark hair like you and yes I think in certain styles it is harder to see the detail in dark hair. The upside is that dark hair tends to look more glossy than blonde hair.
    I have been blonde, red and every colour of the rainbow in-between and the darker the glossier. When I was blonde (bleached obviously) I missed the shine so much. Plus the upkeep was horrendous. It has taken me 36 years to accept my natural hair colour and I love it.
    Plus I find with my darker hair you can get away with washing it less. I find my dark hair hides the greace better then when I was lighter.
    I still go weak at the knees when I see amazing blonde/red/any other coloured hair than mine though!
    Growing old DISgracefully!

Length
    CHIN/BSL/LONG!

Hmmm never encountered this problem when I'm out and about people notice the braids but I do notice it when I try and take pics of my braids they have to be in good strong light or I have to up the contrast so the photos show more detail.

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lilravendark View Post
    Hmmm never encountered this problem when I'm out and about people notice the braids but I do notice it when I try and take pics of my braids they have to be in good strong light or I have to up the contrast so the photos show more detail.
    Oh goodness yes! In the picture i took of one of my new hair toys you couldn't see the beautiful rope braid bun i did, it just looked like a big dark mass of something o.O lol

In my world there is nothing nicer than a shiny, smooth, dark braid. And I henndigoed two days ago.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

I see what you are saying, but I don't feel that way and my hair is almost black.