Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need protein or moisture?

Length
    18/26/TB/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Do I need protein or moisture?

Yesterday I went on to Kirin's hair diagnostic article and thought I'd give it a go. I've got this week off work - why not use it to make my hair fabulous?
    So I clarified, I clarified again to make sure and left it to dry. Well, what on earth does 'wadded' hair look and feel like??? I couldn't decide if I was wadded or just plain old dry. I just couldn't work it out. I mean how do you know if your hair has formed bundles because it's wadded or just dry and tangly?
    I ended up mixing up some yogurt with olive oil and honey to get both protein and moisture and of course now my hair looks great again but I don't know why. Was it the protein or the moisture? Any hints for how I can tell the difference between wadded and dry?
    Lady Cypressa, Keeper of the Olive Grove in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    apl> bsl > mbl > waist > hip > tailbone

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do I need protein or moisture?

I don't know if i am correct here but i remember reading if you stretch a wet hair and if it snaps quickly and easily you need moisture and if it is stretchy it needs protein, i did this yesterday and it said i needed protein and after doing a protein treatment followed by moisture it is lovely and soft now.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    18/26/TB/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Ohh thanks. I'll try that and see what happens,
    Lady Cypressa, Keeper of the Olive Grove in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/iii

What did you use to clarify? I'd say that doing so twice in a row is probably what left it tangly.

Knit, love, sign.
    Lisa Monster's 101 in 1001

Length
    18/26/TB/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I used tresemme vitamin c clarifying shampoo - only one I could get. On Kirin's hair diagnostic guide though it says to clarify twice or even three times to get rid of build up if you need to and I haven't clarified for nearly 5 years - so I thought it needed twice.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by louisemg82 View Post
    I used tresemme vitamin c clarifying shampoo - only one I could get. On Kirin's hair diagnostic guide though it says to clarify twice or even three times to get rid of build up if you need to and I haven't clarified for nearly 5 years - so I thought it needed twice.
    Clarifying is a good start. However, not only does it remove all build-up (especially if you do multiple clarifying washes in a row) but it also removes all the sebum that protects your hair.

I suggest doing the trick that bunzfan mentioned on a couple of shed hairs. If the hairs snap immediately, moisture is needed. If they stretch out a little before breaking, and if that gentle stretching is reversible, that is what you're aiming for. If they stretch masses, and the stretch is irreversible (e.g. like gum vs. like a hair tie) then you need protein.

However, if you do decide on a protein treatment it is best to do so in moderation and to follow up with a bit of moisture. A little goes a long way for most people and often the treatments are drying. In contrast, many people find they just can't get enough moisture and it is impossible to overdose on it - their hair just drinks it up. So, if you need protein try a little to start with and increase if you seem to need more. If you need moisture you won't have to be so careful and can (on most people) just slather it on.
    Last edited by Panth; April 22nd, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Clarification of meaning

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bunzfan View Post
    I don't know if i am correct here but i remember reading if you stretch a wet hair and if it snaps quickly and easily you need moisture and if it is stretchy it needs protein, i did this yesterday and it said i needed protein and after doing a protein treatment followed by moisture it is lovely and soft now.
    I thought healthy hair was meant to be able to stretch?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I haven't been able to make much sense out of what "wadded" feels like either. I'm sure it makes sense if you feel it, but I can't help much.

I like the descriptions of assessing protein/moisture balance found in this article. Maybe that'll help you more?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    18/26/TB/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I haven't been able to make much sense out of what "wadded" feels like either. I'm sure it makes sense if you feel it, but I can't help much.

I like the descriptions of assessing protein/moisture balance found in this article. Maybe that'll help you more?
    Thank you, it does make more sense. I've also done the stretch a shed hair thing now and I'm pretty convinced I need moisture. I suppose I've got too much protein from my henna treatments. It would still be interesting to find out what 'wadded' feels like though!!

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    I thought healthy hair was meant to be able to stretch?
    Stretches a little and pings back = healthy.

Stretches lots and doesn't go back to unstretched length = too little protein.

So, yes and no. ^_^