Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bun assistance requested

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Bun assistance requested

Hello. It's me again -- Pixna the Bun-Challenged. Here's the dilemma: My hair is now in the mid-back abyss -- not long enough for some bun styles, and too long for others (such is the nature of the maligned abyss).

I rely on my daily Pencil Bun, but my hair seems to be getting too long for it. Also, I prefer to use a four-prong (60th Street Fork) for the best hold, so I'd like to know some bun styles amenable to big forks like this, especially styles that do NOT entail twisting the hair (it causes too much breakage). I also like to occasionally do a single-stick or double-pronged fork bun, but I'm finding those are not as secure lately. My hair is fairly thick, so any thick-haired people with suggestions for buns for my in-between (past BSL but not yet at waist) length would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    17.5"/BSL/BCL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Default Re: Bun assistance requested

Lazy Wrap Bun!! you can vary the number of fingers you wrap around depending on your hair length and it isn't a style which requires twisting

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Can you do Spidermom's Bun That Stays? The Knot bun? The Nautilus?

Before my massive shed, I could just *barely* do these styles. You could try and see if they work for you yet
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I agree with above posters. I'd go with either a Lazy Wrap or the Nautilus. You need less hair for a LW than for a Nautilus. A pencil bun is actually a variation on the Nautilus, for shorter hair, so definitely also give the Nautilus a go.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

maybe the chinese bun as well.

Length
    12?/TB/Class
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

What about the swirly bun? The way I do it is to make a half up and then bun and pin that hair, then twist the rest of it around that bun, pinning as I go. Since there's so much going one in the way of pins, it seems to hold well for me, particularly when wet.

I also have very thick hair and am finally leaving that mid-back swamp. Do consider using Amish pins in addition to your hairsticks/forks. I almost always have to do that for a comfortable, stable fit.

Good luck!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Two buns can be a nice change, too.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

look at spidermoms instructions for the gibraltar bun, its my daily bun and hold like a rock!
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thanks, everyone! I forgot about the LW (smacks forehead). I haven't been able to quite figure out the Nautilus and Gibraltar (not sure if I have enough length yet), but I'll continue to try them.

I don't want to use any elastics or additional pins or clips -- just a straight-up fork or stick with a single bun (I'm a purist). And I'm left-handed (which seems to always make following instructions more difficult for me).

Any more ideas? I greatly welcome them! Thank you all so much!!!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Here's Torrin's vid on the nautilus. When my hair was shorter, I skipped the 'wrapping' step and just pulled the length straight through (normally looping it so the ends stayed inward). This worked for me from around BSL, it'd be worth a try.