Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Myth? Or Fact?

Length
    20/BSL/WAIST
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Hair Myth? Or Fact?

I've heard (from my hair stylist and others) that the longer it takes for you to blow dry your hair, the healthier it is. I realize that hair thickness affects the length of time it takes to blow dry though. But what do you think?

My hair is very thin, shoulder length. Yet it takes me a good half hour to blow dry it (with cool or hot air). Is my hair healthy? I wouldn't think so, since I have a lot of breakage, but who knows.

Gwen
    ~Collar Bone~ ~Shoulder~ ~APL~ ~Awkward Stage~ ~BSL~ ~Waist ~

Length
    27"/29"/Term

Default Re: Hair Myth? Or Fact?

I have never heard of that :/ The only reason I can think of that it would take longer to blow dry would be due to more overall hair?? I'm not a hair expert unfortunately. If it's true I'd really love to know why.

Length
    16/28/38
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I disagree, when hair takes ages to dry it can indicate that its pours meaning that it’s damaged. But it can also mean that it long and thick which can have nothing to do with hair health.

Grow, grow, grow, where it stops nobody knows

Length
    shldr/hip/bcl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Mine said exactly the opposite: because mine is easy to dry(well, with the hellhound she uses, anything would be easy to dry) it's healthy. But as Kathie said, it has more to do with the hair's thickness than the actual health

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I've never heard that one before. It takes me forever to blow dry but that is just because I'm really bad at it and always get the brush stuck in my hair . Naturally my hair takes hours to dry but I think it is more a factor of texture and thickness than of health.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I don't think so. It's always taken me a long time to blow dry my hair and I've only recently started to get it healthy (and still have a long ways to go). I always figured it took me so long because my hair is fairly thick and curly. I never realized that other hair types had the same problem.

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Based on my own hair? I would say yes and no.
    It is true that when my hair was at its most damaged it took almost no time to dry. APL hair would be dry within 10 minutes without blowdrying.
    Now I my hair is on its way to greater health and I noticed two things, if I put oil on it pre-wash but not overnight, it will dry very quickly after wash. Its like the oils have protected my hair from intaking too much water.
    If I do a conditioner treatment, or heavy oil overnight, it will take extra long to dry. As if my hair is super moisturised.
    So to me it would be a combo of care, health and products.
    I love mixing up my oils!

Length
    18.7/21/38
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Not heard that ether, i know after you dye it it takes longer to dry. I dunno my hair has always taken ages to dry.

Type
    2a/C/ii

There might be a correlation, but it's something I am experiencing myself, so it's not the same for everyone. I noticed that dry hair (=> damaged) dries out more easily, maybe because it cannot retain water

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

That's a new one on me. I could see how damaged hair or high porosity hair could dry faster, but with thickness and hairtype... there's too many variables.