Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re public boards

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Question re public boards

Could someone please clarify for me what a non-member viewing the LHC can see?

For example:

Can one read Conventional Products and Accessories subforum?
    Can one read the Henna and Herbal products subforum? Or just the Mane Board?

I understand that if you do not have an account here, you cannot post, nor can you read the blogs or swaps, or Friendship/Pets/Parental type subforums.

I am just a little confused as to what "the public boards" actually covers and can't seem to find it in a search.

Thank you
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Question re public boards

The public forums are basically everything hair related. Products/Accessories or Henna/Herbal can be read of the whole Internet. The swap board is also considered on-topic so it is a public board and can be read without being logged in, as are informational parts like Site Happenings, Site Support or the test section.
    Unregistered visitors are not able to post anywhere on the forum and they can't view the off topic areas, the meet board, blogs, albums or profiles.
    I think the easiest way to see what is visible for unregistered people is to log out, but you can find an excessive list ahem more information about what which usergroups can or can not do/see in the updated version of the User Permissions and Post count.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Reviving this as I'm pretty averse to creating new threads and my remark is a bit of a follow-up on OP's question.

I don't really understand or agree with the reasoning behind the Swap Board being public. I have seen people share their e-mail addresses in threads on the swap board when buying/selling as it is sometimes unpractical to discuss a purchase by PM; and when I participate in a seasonal swap I'm always a bit uncomfortable with all the personal information and photos I share being accessible to anyone that comes accross the LHC.

I feel like the Swap Board should be a member-only area of the forum, and I don't see how it's relevant to unregistered visitors coming to the forum for hair-related information. Could someone enlighten me? Might it be an idea to change this board's settings?
    A lurker who loves swaps

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The swap board is open? That's so odd.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Yep, I double checked it from a device on which I haven't logged in and can confirm that the swap board is public, Lapushka.
    A lurker who loves swaps

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hmm, maybe there's a good reason for that? IDK.

I sometimes am so surprised. I often have to watch what I say, esp. when newbies who don't have access to other parts yet start health related issues on the mane forum... and they can get intense *fast*!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

See, I actually like that there are some health+hair related threads on the Mane forum because for people searching for answers to specific hair problems that are health-related, it's so comforting to stumble across this kind of info and find others have gone through it - and sometimes these kinds of problems they may not even realise are related to health issues. I mean, yes there is general info out there beyond LHC about certain deficiencies or medications affecting hair, even the odd bit of info on condition-specific sites, but I really do feel that here there's a much more comprehensive wealth of knowledge and experience that goes beyond 'my hair was too thin so I had to chop' or 'I couldn't handle my hair because of my illness so I had to chop'*. If every health-related thread gets banished to the private areas, then no unregistered but struggling person is going to stumble across the kind of info that could save them unnecessary problems. (This is one reason I was so pleased to see the Disabled and Longhaired thread in the Mane forum before, though I never got round to engaging with it.)

*Edit: those are of course perfectly valid choices, but so often outside of LHC they are presented as the default, the expected course, with no knowledge or awareness that there are alternatives that could also be considered before deciding. /Edit

I agree sometimes the threads get very personal, and I understand there are things people don't want to publicly share - and that's their right. I myself use privacy settings on sites so that coworkers and pupils can't normally see what I post, and hopefully keep things anonymous enough here so that Google-savvy schoolkids can't easily find that it's me. But ultimately the rule for using the internet is to assume everything is permanent and everything is potentially public, so don't write stuff you categorically don't want other people to see. Hopefully there will never be a security breach on LHC, and I'm sure the security is robust enough that it's not likely, but we just never know what the future holds or what might happen. We trust that ordinarily it does the job and would withstand security attacks, but it's not a cast-iron guarantee that it absolutely 100% will *never ever* at any point be visible on the wider web for even a second.

Maybe a compromise once a thread starts taking too personal a turn could be to ask *the OP* if they want the thread moved, or offer a choice between moving it and starting a new one privately as a continuation - that way the info already shared publicly would still be available for non-members searching for help to see. Just a thought

As for the swap board, I don't know ... Again I like that it's public because as an unregistered lurker I used to see whether it might be something useful for me if I were to join, and I also didn't know swap boards were a thing anyway before finding LHC - it was nice to see that I may not have to buy everything new to build a hairtoy collection! However the big swaps with personal info, yeah I get that those probably should be protected. A mini-subforum for those, maybe?
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; June 19th, 2019 at 05:59 AM.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Bumping this as there is a new swap running and I didn't get an answer to my question from mods in the summer.

I shared photos of my dog in this swap and tbh I'd much prefer this kind of relatively personal information/material to be in a member-only board. Can we revisit the matter of the swap board being public? See my arguments above.
    A lurker who loves swaps

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Wait --why is the swap board public?

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I agree that having the swap board public seems odd. After all, nobody is going to be able to participate in a swap without registering.