Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Terminal Braid": Determining Terminal Length Without Growing There

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Question A "Terminal Braid": Determining Terminal Length Without Growing There

I've had a burning curiosity to know how long my hair can grow, and I would love to reach terminal. But my hair is pretty thick and it's already heavy right now and I'm not even close to my goal length. So I'm pretty sure I won't actually be growing my hair out to terminal, I think I'll probably stop around classic at the longest (assuming my hair grows that long), but I still really would like to know what my terminal length is.

So I was watching Star Wars a few days ago, and it occurred to me that you could probably establish TL with a small amount of hair, like one of those Jedi style braids. I thought about starting a small braid that doesn't get regular trims with the rest of my hair, just S&D. And then... just let it grow. It probably wouldn't go into buns, but it could be either left to dangle, or wrapped around my head like a headband. I think it would be best to select it from hair that is towards the base of the head, and also probably towards the front. There's a section almost directly below my ear, that seems the easiest to get out of the way.

And also, I wondered if you have to grow all of your hair out to beat the current record. I mean, someone could potentially grow a small braid out longer than Xie Qiuping's hair was when they measured it last. (This is hypothetical, I don't even want to think about how many years it would take to grow your hair out to 18 feet, even just a small braid!!) But I would think a small braid would count, if only because her hair at the very ends looked pretty thin. They probably gave her the record for the measurement of the single longest strand, or small group of strands.

So... what do you think? Super crazy idea? Great idea? Would work, wouldn't work? And what would you call it? I've been thinking of it as a terminal braid, but that doesn't seem to really explain the idea.

Yay for blonette!

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: A "Terminal Braid": Determining Terminal Length Without Growing There

Some parts of my hair grow faster than other parts and some parts grow very slowly. Using your concept, all I would be able to discover is what is terminal length for that one spot on my scalp. I would not know what would be terminal length for the rest of my scalp. But, it's an interesting idea. I'm kind of doing that anyway, only the part I'm growing to terminal length is a very large area of my scalp. I keep my bangs/fringe and face-framing layers short, so I don't look so severe. Also, I trim my nape hairs very short, so they don't look like a wooly mammoth peeking out from under my collar. Everything else is growing freely.

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: A "Terminal Braid": Determining Terminal Length Without Growing There

I thought about that, looking at Xie Qiuping's hair... since so little of the total volume of her hair made it to the longest length as the rest of it, it probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything about the rest of your hair. Hmmm...

Your hair is totally gorgeous by the way, the color is amazing. My mom's hair is that color, though she dyes it, and I really hope I get the same. I'll keep it long and lovely like yours.

Yay for blonette!

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

i was going to leave a rat tail when i did the chop, but i decided against it, might that's a pretty good idea! Or...a terminal dred!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    Hip/clsc+/Term?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MeganE View Post
    I thought about that, looking at Xie Qiuping's hair... since so little of the total volume of her hair made it to the longest length as the rest of it, it probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything about the rest of your hair. Hmmm...
    Yeah, growing the very long lengths seems to be a numbers game, aside from the genetics. There are way more people on here with iii hair than those with i hair that have hair to knee or beyond, there's just more hair that have the opportunity to survive the wear and tear to get that long.
    If you did grow a terminal braid, you'd probably have to baby it like crazy to make sure as much of it as possible "makes it".

Type
    3a/M/ii

If you keep it braided all the time, even when you wash, eventually it'll be longer than terminal because shed hairs will stay stuck in it. So you'll have to undo it, comb the sheds out of it, and redo it. I last washed my hair the morning of Gagarin Day, put it up without rebraiding, and rebraided that evening while watching the movie.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_teesha View Post
    i was going to leave a rat tail when i did the chop, but i decided against it, might that's a pretty good idea! Or...a terminal dred!
    A terminal dred!! Gosh that would be funny. I've never seen hair that had only one or two dreds in it... I wonder if it would be really hard to keep them separate.

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    Yeah, growing the very long lengths seems to be a numbers game, aside from the genetics. There are way more people on here with iii hair than those with i hair that have hair to knee or beyond, there's just more hair that have the opportunity to survive the wear and tear to get that long.
    If you did grow a terminal braid, you'd probably have to baby it like crazy to make sure as much of it as possible "makes it".
    I think you're right about that. I did think that a small braid might be even easier to baby than the rest of the hair. I mean, S&D would be a lot easier, you could oil it more frequently, etc. It might be easier to take really good care of it, than it is for the whole hair. But then again, being braided all the time might not be very good for it. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    If you keep it braided all the time, even when you wash, eventually it'll be longer than terminal because shed hairs will stay stuck in it. So you'll have to undo it, comb the sheds out of it, and redo it. I last washed my hair the morning of Gagarin Day, put it up without rebraiding, and rebraided that evening while watching the movie.
    Yep, I would plan to take it out regularly, for S&D and changing the braid style, too. Can you explain a little more about what you said you did with your hair? I didn't really understand what you meant. Do you wear your hair in braids a lot?

Yay for blonette!

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I love the idea of the braid you describe. I have thought of doing something like that myself, although hadn't considered what a nifty way that would be to discover terminal without going there. Think how handy it would be to be able to make a headband or a finishing touch for a bun with your own hair. How cool would it be to take the braid up over your head, then braid the braid in somewhere to hold everything in place? The only down side I can think of is what to do with the braid if you didn't want it to show-- say, when you want to wear APL hair down and the braid is to your waist. A necklace? Well, by the time the braid is that long you will have invented lots of nifty styles, I'm sure.

I hope you do it and post pictures!

Length
    awl/tb/cl
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Love this idea!

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    I love the idea of the braid you describe. I have thought of doing something like that myself, although hadn't considered what a nifty way that would be to discover terminal without going there. Think how handy it would be to be able to make a headband or a finishing touch for a bun with your own hair. How cool would it be to take the braid up over your head, then braid the braid in somewhere to hold everything in place? The only down side I can think of is what to do with the braid if you didn't want it to show-- say, when you want to wear APL hair down and the braid is to your waist. A necklace? Well, by the time the braid is that long you will have invented lots of nifty styles, I'm sure.

I hope you do it and post pictures!
    I liked the idea of having a longer braid for a headband, too. I hadn't thought about how to wear it all down. You could always roll it along the thin edge, to make a little braid flower. I saw that in a video once and it was really pretty. I thought about a necklace too! I think you could definitely do that. It would be different. I'm not sure when I'm going to start it, I think there's not much point doing it now while I'm growing since I'm trimming so little, the braid probably wouldn't be able to grow out much more than the rest of my hair. I won't be at my goal length for over a year, but it's nice to have plans for future hair experiments... And if I do decide to do a major trim, you can bet I'll leave a braid out. I thought today about doing two braids for symmetry... Not sure how annoying they would get when it comes to brushing/combing though... Oh well, it's a fun idea anyway!

Yay for blonette!