Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Pictures - Not Particularly Nice Ones Either! - And A Question

Default Hair Pictures - Not Particularly Nice Ones Either! - And A Question

Hiya folks

I have been here again after what seemed to me a long break (a few months, maybe?) and I'm just starting to become serious about hair again.

Now in the "off" time, I wasn't rough on my hair, I didn't change my routine much except I got a little lazy about washing it and figured the less I wash the better - which I don't really believe is good for me anyhow, but I've been washing about twice a week. I basically forgot about it.

I braid my daily. I stopped putting it in buns with either my ficcare or fakkares because I could see breakage- which is still evident, apparently. I sleep with it out pulled above my head so it gets rubbed against the pillow as little as possible. I rarely wear it out, so it doesn't really get caught on things much.

I don't have massive tangles, I barely get tangles at all now that I've trimmed off what amounts to about 8" in the past year - the really broken pieces at the very ends are gone.

So on to the pictures, I decided to document progress, and I figured the best time to start doing that is when you know it's the worst - so you'll have progress almost no matter what! So tonight I took pictures and as I was looking through them I noticed that it looks like my hair is a lot thicker on the edges than in the middle. Am I imagining things?

Now in this last one, it doesn't quite look as empty in the middle. Am I just getting that big chunk in the middle missing just because of the way my hair happened to lie, or is it possible something is causing major breakage in the middle????

Sigh. I'm starting to get sad about my hair. It used to look like this:

The more I look at it, the more sad I feel I have started thinking about cutting it to above midback - I've never had short hair before and I got to thinking how it might feel to have it shorter. But I know that won't make me happy!!!

The biggest changes that have happened are that I started exercising more and developed a nasty case of acne that has been on and off since, although it's been a lot better the past few months. Those are the only health changes. And I'm 20 now, I was probably 15 or 16 when I joined here (I need to check the date).

Waaaah. Thanks for putting up with this rant. I just don't know where else to go

Bonnie

PS. I did change my shirt for the pictures. I think I thought it was going to show better on a lighter color, since I'm not looking to make my hair look nice, but to be honest with myself and see what is really there.

OldTimer Older than LHC Teacherbear's Avatar
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Bonnie, if the thought of cutting your hair makes you sad, then don't do it! *I* think it looks thin in the middle because of how your hair was brushed/combed/placed in the first 3 pictures. Your hair doesn't appear thinner in the middle in the last photo.

I think your hair is beautiful, more importantly, you have such a beautiful spirit. I hate that your hair is making you sad. ((((hugs to you))))
    Hmm, what should this say? I'm thinking . . .

Length
    25/28/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well honey, I am very sorry that your hair is making you sad. To be honest with you it is looking pretty rough. If you don't want to lose your length though, and just need some fullness, I think I know something that can help you.

Hair extensions without the use of glue or anything that harms your hair. It can add quite a bit of thickness to it for you without damage.

If you choose to cut though, I supports it.
    Whoever first looked at a cow's utters and said 'I'll drink whatever comes out of those when I tug on them!' must have been a nutcase.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Some thoughts:
    1) something is breaking it off, and/or
    2) you've reached terminal length, longest hairs have been shedding out, regrowth is lagging behind.

It looks like you've got thick growth down to somewhere between APL and BSL.

Two things that I've noticed about my own hair. I can't wear braids loose because they swing around and the shorter hairs that poke out all over the place take a lot of friction. They catch in buttons and zippers. The hair at my nape becomes a hopeless snarl. To wear braids, I must pin them up, which is hard for me, so I don't wear braids very often.

Putting my hair above the pillow or in a top-of-head bun means that I toss and turn across my nape hair all night, and it takes a beating. A lot of it has broken off too short for me to pull forward for S&D, but what I can see of it is broken, fairy-knotted, and split. So now I bring my hair over one shoulder in one braid most nights. When I move, I'm aware of that braid and move it with me.

Maybe you have similar issues?

As I've told you before, the hair that you have is very pretty - gorgeous color and shine. If it were me, at this point I think I'd cut it back to where it looked and felt thicker and more even. But that's me. I'm not sure that any of your current options, which I see as cut back or maintain as is, are going to make you happy, and I'm really sorry about that. The whole time I've been in this community, you have been a caring and supportive presence. If I come across anything else that might be useful to you, I'll send it out to you immediately.

Length
    10"/25"/Waist
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Sorry to say that yes, it does look a bit damaged and thinner in the middle. I do think part of it is the way your hair is laying as the pictures lower down don't look as bad as the first one. And am I understanding correctly that the last picture, in the blue shirt is from several years ago? Because if that is true, I definitely see a difference.
    Are you on any meds for the acne that might be causing breakage, etc? Because that is what it looks like to me. I don't have very long hair, but have in the past. I had a perm when I was at waist length before (I know, stupid, but I was 19, newly married and pregnant, so was not at my best!) and it made my hair break off like that, more in the middle. A spiral perm on hair that long and old was not a good idea.
    I would trim it back, but that is just me. You need to figure what is/has caused it, though, because otherwise it might happen again.
    I do think you color and overall condition seem good, it's just the last 4 inches or so.
    Good luck, the ladies here will help. They all know a lot more than I do about hair that length.

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

It could be the acne meds (the worst case of shed I ever had in my life was after only two weeks of prednizone. I started shedding and didn't stop for several months, and by the time I stopped I had nothing but chicken fluff on my head).

It could be friction-breakage. Maybe you could section your hair and try to see if the damage is localized all in one area. For example, my currect trouble-spot is my temples. The hair there is only thick to my chin, and then there are maybe five whole hairs that go all the way to the hemline of the rest of my hair. I suspect this is leftover ponytail damage. Even after I stopped doing the damaging thing -ponytails- the hair continued to break off at the damaged spot, even as the damaged spot grew out, again causing me to continue 'losing' hair for several months. If you have damage that started out near the nape of your neck, but didn't break right away . . . it grew out first and then broke off . . . that may be why it all seems to be in the center. But the one way to tell for sure is to section the hair from different areas of the scalp and check it for taper.

Things you can do:
    -stop doing whatever it is that is damaging your hair, if you can figure this out.
    -trim it all to the level where it all looks thick and start over.
    -or, keep it as is, but start trimming it to stay at this length until all the shorter hairs have caught up.
    -apply cassia or henna to strengthen the hair shaft and prevent further damage.
    -if you haven't already, get a silk pillowcase, stop wearing shirts with collars that stand up, alternate buns and braids every couple of days to change the location of stress, take good vitamins, and talk to your dermatologist (I believe hair is covered by dermatology).

I'm sorry your hair has done this bewildering and frustrating thing. I really do feel your pain!

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

My hair has the opposite problem, it is thinner at the sides and has one thick chunk in the middle, check out my photo albums for pictures.
    How did your hair change? what changed since the last photo and the others? If you had a baby it would cause a great degree of shedding, same with thyriod problems, or stress and illness.
    I would definately not cut it shorter then BSL if you were looking for that route. Does your hair shed when it is oily? If so you may want to start washing it more. Also taking the pill can cause hair loss.
    Hmm...It could very well be seasonal type shedding when a bunch of your hair sheds, i read it happens every 7 years on average. And now you just have to wait for all the hairs to catch up. I at the moment am just triming my monthly growth so that in time my hemnline will get thicker. Eresh grows her hair like yours, the sides longer.
    Perhaps you can start eating more protein or some multivitamins or hair and nail vitamins?
    It always makes me unsettled when hair throws such difficulties at us.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Bonnie,
    I can't see the link you placed ( maybe because I am new to the forum ) but in the aviator you hair looks beautiful..I really enjoyed reading about your family as well..loved the yodeling!

Length
    19"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm wondering if any harsh hair toys or clips have damaged your hair. You did mention a ficcare. I know drug-store clips have this metal part underneath that tears your hair out. I don't use them anymore. Right now I am only using scrunchies and those claw clips, making sure there isn't any sharp edges. Either way I am sorry you are unhappy with your hair. I hope you can solve this problem straight away and things improve for you. I myself would just wear buns of any description and put my hair away for the summer. This will reduce stress on it and I am sure by fall the thinning part will have grown down some and then you could even the hem up slowly. Meanwhile do hair treatments that will help it to get in the best condition. Hun please don't fret too much just take the summer and wear your hair up and treat it like old lace....good luck

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Wow, I'm sorry hon, but yeah, there's a pretty significant difference in your hair before & after. You definitely have some issues going on with the middle bit.

Honestly, if it was my hair, I would cut it off until it's much more even, but of course, this is YOUR hair and do what makes you happy.

The others have given good advice, hope you find your happy hair place again soon!