Thread: trimming

Length
    apl/25/34

Default trimming

will my hair still retain length if i never trim?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: trimming

It depends on your hair.

I've tried it twice now (going a year with no trimming), and I always end up having to cut more than I lose if I trim regularly. My ends get old and dried out and start breaking and splitting, and the damage travels upward.

But I've seen plenty of people around here trim seldom or even never, and they get long, lovely fairy tale ends.

Length
    apl/25/34

what are fairy tale ends?
    my hair has some damge from hair color on the ends but most of the super damged hair broke off already( i had multiple chemichals in my hair in like 2009) but i was hoping if i kept the rest of my hair (and the new growth )healthy then would have to worry about damage.

Length
    Pixie/Hip/CL

I agree with Spidermom, it depends on your hair and how you treat it,

I havent trimmend for over 3 years, but now that im just past waist im starting to notice some damge (dry, splits, kinks) so I will do a small trimm as soon as I buy myself some decent scissors.
    The damage might also be due to me wearing it down more now its long!

Length
    Pixie/Hip/CL

I agree with Spidermom, it depends on your hair and how you treat it,

I havent trimmend for over 3 years, but now that im just past waist im starting to notice some damge (dry, splits, kinks) so I will do a small trimm as soon as I buy myself some decent scissors.
    The damage might also be due to me wearing it down more now its long!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

A lot of people never trim and get good growth but I find the thicker the strands; the better they can handle no trims. For me my hair strands are baby fine and 4 months is the longest I can go without it looking a mess at my length. However, I have gone 2 years in the past when my hair was very short, so it seems for me my longer, older ends can't handle no trims.

Theres only one way to find out and thats experiment, no biggie if you have to have trims.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

It depends on your hair's genes and your judgement. I can go for 6 months growing out a layered bob with no trimming. As long as it's not breaking off, bothering you, or causing damage to the length I think it's ok.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by curlychica702 View Post
    what are fairy tale ends?
    my hair has some damge from hair color on the ends but most of the super damged hair broke off already( i had multiple chemichals in my hair in like 2009) but i was hoping if i kept the rest of my hair (and the new growth )healthy then would have to worry about damage.
    Fairy tale ends are when you don't trim and the hair gradually tapers out to nothing. There is a thread somewhere on the mane forum titled (I think) "show me pictures of fairy tale ends". I don't know how to post a link, but I'll go over there and give it a bump so that it's easy to find.

it's possible that it can retain length if u take very good care of the ends, but breakage can occur and then length won't be retained

maybe if you reduce how often you get trims, that might help ^ ^