Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biotin?

Length
    ~3/~20/~30
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii

Default Biotin?

Hi, I am new here. I used to have hair to about my hip but last year I cut it all off in a small fit of madness. Right now it reaches my shoulders but I want it to grow faster (I am also having trouble with it falling out). I just started taking 1 mg of biotin per day and I was wondering if that is enough or too much. I weigh 97lbs and am 5'4" if that helps. Also If you have had any experiance with biotin I would love to hear about it.

Oh one last thing on another post I used "btw" before I read the thing about no "text speak" so I am sorry and can you edit posts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Biotin?

i guess it really depends. i would say try taking 1mg of biotin for a month or two and see how it works. if it doesn't have any effect, maybe it would be okay to take a more.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Well ive been taking 5000 mcg of biotin a day for 4 months and i saw great results personally, less shed especially in shower (record at 5 strands!) and much stronger hair Oh and the best part, ive got a head full of fuzzies. New growth. But it depends on the person though, i see nothing wrong taking this amount since i dont see anything bad happeneing to ME and my mother uses it too, it certainly helped her grow her hair much better within 6-8 months of usage. Honestly, i think over a certain amount and your body will take it out like with your urine, sweat glands, other stuff. Learned that in class yesterday

Type
    1a/M/ii

I vary between 600mcg and 1000mcg (depending what my local pharmacy has at the time I need to replenish my stocks).
    I have noticed less shedding, but I don't know wether it is the biotin or the pre-wash oilings with castor and rosemary oil (I started both the Biotin and the oiling about the same time, so no way to tell which one it is... )
    I know there are members here that swear by Biotin, and others that had no effect at all, so it's personal experience only, no way to tell if it will work for you before you try it...

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Please get advice from a medical professional NOT unqualified stranger on a forum if you are considering (or already taking) high doses of supplements - some are unsafe.
    http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2...otin-rant.html
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

I wouldn't recommend taking that much biotin... It's just a waste of money (and also might not be good to your health). Check out Igor's blog, she has a long text about biotin there.

I wouldn't suggest taking more than 500 mg but 225 mg is just as good as 500 mg (in my opinion)

Length
    Chin/WST/W-H
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I take 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily. And I have to disagree with Firefox. Biotin isn't a drug, it's just a vitamin that is found naturally in foods like eggs. I don't mean any offense, Firefox, I just have a different opinion. I read your blog, and your argument is sound, but I personally notice a difference.

I shed less hair, it seems to grow faster, and my nails don't break.
    Last edited by Scarlet_Heart; March 30th, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Also some people have problems of their face breaking out if they take too much. Just something to watch out for if your face starts to breakout - that may be the cause.

Length
    21/24/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

welcome to LHC!

I agree that it is best to inform your doctor of any new vitamins or supplements that you decide to add to your regimen. That said, I think LHC is a great place to get information about vitamins and supplements that have helped other ladies and gentlemen to grow healthy, long hair.

I'm not as small as you, but I do have a similar bodytype. I take 1000 mcg of biotin a day. I do find that it gives me painful acne sometimes (especially around my period), so if I feel a spot coming on I skip taking the biotin for a few days.

I have also found that taking MSM and silica have dramatically increased my growth rate, so maybe you could consider taking taking those as well. Good luck
    hoping for BSL by september!

Length
    21/24/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

also one more thing, I find it a bit ironic that firefox says to only take advice from a medical professional, but then directs you to read a random person's blog entry rather than an actual peer reviewed article.
    hoping for BSL by september!