Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elegant, Easy Updo. Does it exist?

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Elegant, Easy Updo. Does it exist?

Ok, I have just spent WAY too much time sarching LHC for an answer to this question and cannot find it. All the updos I am seeing are either for too much shorter length or are not "elegant".

I was given an antique hair pin/fork and want to wear it in my hair on Easter (I will be narrating a cantata). I thought it would be nice to learn an elegant "do" with/in which to wear it.

My hair is only a little longer than my avatar. I cannot find an easy updo for my length of hair that also looks elegant.

Perhaps a half up? I like braids but lose patience after awhile and my arms give out. I have tried many of the "fancy" braids you can find when Googling but cannot make any of them work right (like the waterfall braid).

The whole point is to wear my new heirloom hairpiece. I posted a pic of it already in THIS thread.

My resources: spin pins, bobby pins, amish pins and an assortment of hair-safe elastics.

At my wedding my mother did an easy but elegant updo on me, but alas, my hair is too long for it now (at least to do myself and that is what I would need). Plus it requires a curling iron and I don't even own one anymore.

I will add that I have no idea what I will be wearing. I HATE dresses but I have an nice one I usually wear on Easter. However, I am leaning towards something more "me" at the same time not really being concerned about my clothes and more-so about my hair. I am not a fashion fan!

It is JUST Easter, not a wedding or anything so I am not trying to look like a bride, just something simple yet elegant, perhaps allowing my length to peek through?

I don't think it exists. LOL.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Elegant, Easy Updo. Does it exist?

What about something like this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=187

You could secure the twist with pins a bit and angle the fork through the twist?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

You could secure the twist with pins a bit and angle the fork through the twist?
    Wow, this is simply beautiful!

Length
    13"/33"/33"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

please disregard
    Last edited by selderon; March 29th, 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: irrelevant advice

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Looking at your hair pin, it would be more decorative than functional. Check out this link, it will give you some good places to research (like Godey's) and there is a great picture if you scroll down of the back of a woman's updo with a decorative pin.
    http://www.vintagevictorian.com/costume_1860.html

The front of the style is admittedly very old fashioned but the way the pin is used in the bun is quite pretty.

ETA- I do agree with the person in your other thread that the pin is probably not Civil War era. The geometric pattern is consistent with Art Deco. But that doesn't mean you can't experiment with different eras' hairstyles!
    Last edited by ElusiveMuse; March 29th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GlennaGirl View Post
    Wow, this is simply beautiful!
    Heh, thanks I'm actually wearing it today

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I have several ideas that I think would wonderfully accent your fork (I have been replying to you in that thread...the only thing is my idea of elegant and yours may differ quite a bit.

I think a nice big chignon would look beautiful with it, also a style I do very often which is easy but so difficult and elegant looking it is basically two elongated celtic knot buns pinned at the nape of my neck, I often stick my vintage combs and forks into styles like these and they look wonderful.

I can try to get you pics in the next few days of what I mean if you're interested...just let me know

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Thumbs up Re: Elegant, Easy Updo. Does it exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

Wow gorgeous- I am also going to try this!
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~23/33/33
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I really like an inverted cinnamon bun. You just twirl it around like normal and then flip the bottom over the top, creating something akin to a twist or roll (or that's at least how mine turn out). It's so sleek and elegant, different than just having a big wart on the back of one's head. It should work at your length, but you'd just have to experiment.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    Ok, I have just spent WAY too much time sarching LHC for an answer to this question and cannot find it. All the updos I am seeing are either for too much shorter length or are not "elegant".

I was given an antique hair pin/fork and want to wear it in my hair on Easter (I will be narrating a cantata). I thought it would be nice to learn an elegant "do" with/in which to wear it.

My hair is only a little longer than my avatar. I cannot find an easy updo for my length of hair that also looks elegant.

Perhaps a half up? I like braids but lose patience after awhile and my arms give out. I have tried many of the "fancy" braids you can find when Googling but cannot make any of them work right (like the waterfall braid).

The whole point is to wear my new heirloom hairpiece. I posted a pic of it already in THIS thread.

My resources: spin pins, bobby pins, amish pins and an assortment of hair-safe elastics.

At my wedding my mother did an easy but elegant updo on me, but alas, my hair is too long for it now (at least to do myself and that is what I would need). Plus it requires a curling iron and I don't even own one anymore.

I will add that I have no idea what I will be wearing. I HATE dresses but I have an nice one I usually wear on Easter. However, I am leaning towards something more "me" at the same time not really being concerned about my clothes and more-so about my hair. I am not a fashion fan!

It is JUST Easter, not a wedding or anything so I am not trying to look like a bride, just something simple yet elegant, perhaps allowing my length to peek through?

I don't think it exists. LOL.
    sorry not much advice on the up do but it always makes me giggle when I see the above (highlighted) we are such a bunch of hair-anorexics! your hair is like mega, mega, mega long!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip