Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does sun-lightening damage hair?

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Does sun-lightening damage hair?

I may be one of the people who gets highlights or even a bit of lightening from being out in the sun. I don't really understand how sun does it and I was wondering if it damages hair in some way? Does anyone want to share their experiences? Is there any way I can protect my hair from this aside from wearing a hat?

ETA : I've also heard that air-drying wet hair in the sun is bad for hair. Is there any truth to that?
    Last edited by Tiina; March 29th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Does sun-lightening damage hair?

Curious to see responses to this.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    Flip/Bust/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

My hair gets a bit lighter in the summer sun as well but I never do anything special to get them. I hope it doesn't do any damage, but I'll have to wait and see some responses from other members.
    Now reading: Fruits Baskets (Volume 9)
    Potential Halloween costumes this year: Jane Lane (from Daria) or Pikachu - your thoughts?

Length
    21/25.5/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I believe so. The sun gives out UV rays which are bad for your hair. Lots of hair products also include UV protection.

Length
    22/MidBk/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Hair is essentially like skin, only "dead". If the UV rays can burn your skin, I wouldn't be surprised to hear scientific proof that UV rays can "burn" hair at least to a degree. A better alternative is honey lightening, at least from what I've heard.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kyandii View Post
    I believe so. The sun gives out UV rays which are bad for your hair. Lots of hair products also include UV protection.
    I was under the impression that UV protective products were for either the scalp or dyed hair (to protect it from fading). Besides most UV protective shampoos contain sulphates so I'm not sure if the protection would even be deposited in the hair. And the conditioners are, well, for hair below the ears, which admittedly is older and more prone to damage but definitely not the only hair that gets the sun...
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

I love chickens.  vanity_acefake's Avatar
    Length
    13/33/Termi
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Sun exposure can dry out your hair much like a Hairdryer does.
    Growing old DISgracefully!

Length
    17/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My hair is medium blond, and it gets quite a bit lighter in the summer. My hair is actually in better condition in the summer than it is in the winter, generally. I find indoor heating to be more drying than the sun.

I do protect my hair when I'm on vacation. (10 days on the beach!) I'll slather my braid in some oil or conditioner before I head out. Other than that, I don't worry about it too much. Like I said, my hair is drier in the winter than it is during the summer, so the sun doesn't seem to affect my hair very much. If you are worried, though, there's no harm in wearing a hat!

Now, if you were to use Sun-In or lemon juice to expedite the process, that's a completely different story. Those things are really drying/possibly damaging.

When I lived on a beach in the Keys I definitely had to keep my hair protected.
    Coconut oil was my oil of choice.
    Before I went to the beach I would put the oil in my hair.

Even then my hair would fade. But it would keep it from serious damage. IMO the salt air was worse for my hair then the sun.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

my natural colour hair used to get light blonde streaks but my hair would be totally trashed from it. Even with (fading fast) henna, it still lightened and caused quite a bit of damage.

Next time I go away to hotter climates, its a high factor sun cream and up in a hat for me!
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!