Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default I need hair color and/or cut advice.

This is my first thread on LHC, the reason why I decided to write it is that I just feel like I might do something today that I will end up regretting.

For 10 years it's been impossible for me to grow out my hair because of days like today. Today I absolutely can't stand my layers or my color. I'm just so tired of red hair right now. I wish it was my natural color again. I want to color it brown. I also want to cut off all the layers and trim the shortest layer a bit which will take me from APL to about chin length hair.

I have been using Henna on my hair since about the middle of August 2010. I have done 3 full applications since then and the rest were root-only applications. What I am considering now is to buy some Lush henna either Dark Brown or Deep Chestnut whichever is closer to my natural color and try to go back to being a brunette.

My problems are:
    (1) I don't know if my hair will take the brunette color or not,
    (2) I don't know which one is closer to my natural color,
    (3) I don't know if I will be able to go back to red hair if I decided to do that again.

I really don't want to chop off my layers because I don't want to lose the length, but I feel as though if I could at least change my color from red to brown (and back) every now and then I won't get the urge to do any big chops.

I would really appreciate any and all responses, advice and/or support concerning my issues. Thank you for reading all of this!

Now for the pics:

Natural hair color and henna color.

1/24/2011 length shot, where you can see all the layers.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

I have not used any type of henna myself but I know a lot of people here who have done over red henna with another colour still have had their hair look red in some light or hair still looking reddish.

As for a hair-cut, I recommend you not to chop it to chin-length at once. Try taking a little off at a time. It is easier to cut than to grow and you might find that you don't need to go all the way in order to make your hair look good. Personally, I think shoulder-length would look nice on you.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Hi Roscata!
    You're the one who helped me out a lot here on LHC and I'm glad I can at least TRY to return the favour:
    I like both colors, natural and henna.
    I can't help you regarding the dye brown-henna-brown. No experience with that at all.
    I'm sure all the other henna heads can help you more.
    But I do understand that you want your natural color back. (As you know I'm in the same boat).
    Did you ever think of letting them grow out?
    If I were you, I wouldn't chop of anything! Your hair looks very healthy and pretty.
    I also like the layers. If you don't like them, why don't you just trim some inches of the longest layer every couple months till they are all gone?
    Sounds loooong - I know. But time flies. Even if our impatient long hair souls don't always feel that way....
    Hmmm. Reading my own response makes me feel like I'm not a great help here right now.
    But the thought counts!
    Let me know what your decision will be and tell us about the results!
    You are in my thoughts and I'll keep fingers crossed for you!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Talking Re: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
    I have not used any type of henna myself but I know a lot of people here who have done over red henna with another colour still have had their hair look red in some light or hair still looking reddish.

As for a hair-cut, I recommend you not to chop it to chin-length at once. Try taking a little off at a time. It is easier to cut than to grow and you might find that you don't need to go all the way in order to make your hair look good. Personally, I think shoulder-length would look nice on you.
    Concerning the henna: Yeah that's what I'm worried about, the reddish tint.

Concerning the length: You're right I shouldn't cut so short, if I do, I know that in less than a month I'd be in tears over it.

I appreciate the input. Thank you for your reply!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyZ View Post
    Hi Roscata!
    You're the one who helped me out a lot here on LHC and I'm glad I can at least TRY to return the favour:
    I like both colors, natural and henna.
    I can't help you regarding the dye brown-henna-brown. No experience with that at all.
    I'm sure all the other henna heads can help you more.
    But I do understand that you want your natural color back. (As you know I'm in the same boat).
    Did you ever think of letting them grow out?
    If I were you, I wouldn't chop of anything! Your hair looks very healthy and pretty.
    I also like the layers. If you don't like them, why don't you just trim some inches of the longest layer every couple months till they are all gone?
    Sounds loooong - I know. But time flies. Even if our impatient long hair souls don't always feel that way....
    Hmmm. Reading my own response makes me feel like I'm not a great help here right now.
    But the thought counts!
    Let me know what your decision will be and tell us about the results!
    You are in my thoughts and I'll keep fingers crossed for you!
    Oh cool I'm so glad I was able to help you out. I always enjoy giving advice to those who ask for it.

I am thinking about letting it grow out, but two-toned hair is probably not for me. I think I'd be more sad over that than the red hair. I should have known that I am not dating henna and that I married it. lol After all I say that all the time.

I think I'm just going to have to learn to get over my addiction to changing colors. I'm scared to put indigo on my hair because then my hair might go green if I try to bleach it out, if I ever make that decision.

I do plan on eventually slowly trimming off my layers as my hair grows but my inability to braid my hair neatly or do anything neatly with my hair is frustrating at times. Maybe I just need to learn how to be more patient. It's not like I can just magically grow 10 inches of hair so I can cut off the parts I don't like and keep the same length I have now and love.

I appreciate the input. Thank you so much for your reply!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

What worked for me when growing out layers was getting a little trim every 6-8 weeks. My hairstylist would take about 1/2 inch off the length and 1/4 inch off the layers. That way it never got shaggy looking. Everything blended and the layers all grew out. It took about 3 years, and my hair went from pixie to BSL in that time.

Have you considered colors that gradually fade out? For instance you could go back to brunette, but use perhaps a Manic-Panic red when you were in the mood for a change. I don't think they make a brown, but they do make a black, which probably wouldn't be true black over henna red but maybe a plum color.

Length
    18.5/BSL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think your henna hair is beautiful and looks nice with your skin tone. I second the Manic Panic- you might not be able to get rid of the red completely, but you can cover it up a bit to make the plum color.

In regards to the cut, I think you should only do a trim and then try giving that a couple weeks, and if its not good enough for you, then try again and then wait again.

Sometimes having patience instead of making the rash decision is really the better way to go.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Hi Hairstylist jumping in to give a little advice. First of all, I want to say that I know where your at, I've been every colour in the spectrum and many unnatural ones as well, I am also very familiar with Henna. As a natural blonde that can't stand her natural colour, I am doomed to colour for life.

I think the colour you've achieved with Henna is stunning. It is such a nice shade and SO shiny.
    You would be able to get some of the red tone covered up with a brown henna, but the red would still show through very obviously. I know this because I've done it many times. Sometimes I long for the red shade, and other times I just want it GONE. The only thing I've found that can cover it up mostly is a brass free brown chemical colour. For this, I always use Natural Instincts "Brass Free" collection, but I must warn, in order to really cover the red you'll have to go darker than your natural shade, so you'd still have the root issue to deal with.

I took a look at your pics, and I really do love the henna red on you, but if you really want a change you're either going to have to go quite a bit darker, or deal with the red tint that will show through no matter which method of colouring you choose.

As for cutting, I can see why you're frustrated. As Spidermom commented, perhaps getting mini trims often could be an option for you. For this to work without you losing too much of your length and still gaining some, it would be helpful to know how much length you grow a month. I will go with the standard 1/2 inch per month for my example. Say your getting 1/2 in per month of growth. To get rid of some of the layering, especially the much longer parts in the middle you could have 1/4 in cut off per month and still be getting some length while eliminating some of the layering. It would of course be a long process, but with a goal of classic, you're in it for the long run anyway.

I think this type of mini trimming would help you reach your goals sooner, rather than waiting for it to grow to a length where you'd be comfortable with a big chop to even out the layers.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Calaelen; March 25th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hi. First of all I have to say that your henna colour is beautiful!
    It seems to me like what you really want is just a change. What about learning to cut your own hair? (if you dont usually do this it would allow you to learn a new thing, and thus give you a sense of change). Feyes tutorial for a V-cut would suit you. Start slowly

Oh, and remember the two week rule I really think it has helped a lot of people.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Talking Re: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    What worked for me when growing out layers was getting a little trim every 6-8 weeks. My hairstylist would take about 1/2 inch off the length and 1/4 inch off the layers. That way it never got shaggy looking. Everything blended and the layers all grew out. It took about 3 years, and my hair went from pixie to BSL in that time.

Have you considered colors that gradually fade out? For instance you could go back to brunette, but use perhaps a Manic-Panic red when you were in the mood for a change. I don't think they make a brown, but they do make a black, which probably wouldn't be true black over henna red but maybe a plum color.
    Small trims are a great idea, I think I'm going to do that as soon as I'm done with the no trims in 2011 challenge, that way my hair will be a little longer and easier to deal with maybe?

I didn't think of Maniac Panic that is an awesome idea. I think I should do that. I wonder if it would harm my hair at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyRay33 View Post
    I think your henna hair is beautiful and looks nice with your skin tone. I second the Manic Panic- you might not be able to get rid of the red completely, but you can cover it up a bit to make the plum color.

In regards to the cut, I think you should only do a trim and then try giving that a couple weeks, and if its not good enough for you, then try again and then wait again.

Sometimes having patience instead of making the rash decision is really the better way to go.
    You're right. I am going to give myself at least two weeks to think about this. It's just that I've been putting up with this different length hair for over a year and a half now. It's maddening. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Calaelen View Post
    Hi Hairstylist jumping in to give a little advice. First of all, I want to say that I know where your at, I've been every colour in the spectrum and many unnatural ones as well, I am also very familiar with Henna. As a natural blonde that can't stand her natural colour, I am doomed to colour for life.

I think the colour you've achieved with Henna is stunning. It is such a nice shade and SO shiny.
    You would be able to get some of the red tone covered up with a brown henna, but the red would still show through very obviously. I know this because I've done it many times. Sometimes I long for the red shade, and other times I just want it GONE. The only thing I've found that can cover it up mostly is a brass free brown chemical colour. For this, I always use Natural Instincts "Brass Free" collection, but I must warn, in order to really cover the red you'll have to go darker than your natural shade, so you'd still have the root issue to deal with.

I took a look at your pics, and I really do love the henna red on you, but if you really want a change you're either going to have to go quite a bit darker, or deal with the red tint that will show through no matter which method of colouring you choose.

As for cutting, I can see why you're frustrated. As Spidermom commented, perhaps getting mini trims often could be an option for you. For this to work without you losing too much of your length and still gaining some, it would be helpful to know how much length you grow a month. I will go with the standard 1/2 inch per month for my example. Say your getting 1/2 in per month of growth. To get rid of some of the layering, especially the much longer parts in the middle you could have 1/4 in cut off per month and still be getting some length while eliminating some of the layering. It would of course be a long process, but with a goal of classic, you're in it for the long run anyway.

I think this type of mini trimming would help you reach your goals sooner, rather than waiting for it to grow to a length where you'd be comfortable with a big chop to even out the layers.

Good Luck!!
    Mini-trimming is starting to look better and better.

I am not willing to try permanent chemical dyes on my hair when it comes to coloring, for some reason my hair just looks instantly fried, lifeless and dry as soon as I do that and if my hair looks like that I don't even want it long. This is why I am curios about how damaging Maniac Panic is to hair because my hair is pretty easily damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by einna View Post
    Hi. First of all I have to say that your henna colour is beautiful!
    It seems to me like what you really want is just a change. What about learning to cut your own hair? (if you dont usually do this it would allow you to learn a new thing, and thus give you a sense of change). Feyes tutorial for a V-cut would suit you. Start slowly

Oh, and remember the two week rule I really think it has helped a lot of people.
    I definitely want to do self-trims only. I do NOT want to be yet another LHC member who got a haircut where the stylist cut a lot more than asked.

Two week rule is something that I should definitely do.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply to my post, I really appreciate it!