Thread: Anybody tried Vegamour?

Type
    1b/F/i

Default Anybody tried Vegamour?

I haven’t been on the forum for ages. To tell the truth my hair has gotten so thin (age related) that I’ve been considering the big chop. My biggest hesitation has been that cutting it all off may make my scalp cleavage super obvious. That said, a friend of mine tried something called Vegamour, wasn’t impressed, and just bequeathed 3 bottles of the serum to me. I didn’t think much about it but I just looked online for the instructions and realized that she spent something like $150.00 on this stuff. Honestly, most of this kind of stuff seems like snake oil to me and I was considering tossing it before I looked it up but now I would feel guilty if I did. This is one of those deals where you’re supposed to rub this stuff into sections of your scalp every day. In other words, it’s a bit of a PITA to use, especially since I only wash once a week. Since the folks here are some of the most hair-savvy on Earth, I’m wondering if anyone here has tried this stuff and what was the outcome.

I should add, that this stuff is supposed to correct thinning hair. Their advertising includes a comparison to Minoxidil.
    Last edited by lunasea; December 30th, 2023 at 11:30 AM.
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Anybody tried Vegamour?

I haven't used it but just wanted to suggest not to let the price tag or your guilt be a deciding factor for whether or not you use it. It's your hair and skin that matters. Do the ingredients look safe/beneficial/familiar? Does it need to be rinsed out or could you rub it in Day 1, leave it, and use again Day 2? I've never used a serum and not sure if they're oily or lighter, so kind of wondering if it's something that would leave your hair feeling sticky or heavy if not rinsed. Does it say how long it takes to start working? If you do decide to try it, maybe you could start on a small patch first and see how it goes. Sorry about the thinning hair and good luck with whatever you decide.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Type
    1b/F/i

Good advice SandyBottom. I did try it last night and it's pretty light. Doesn't seem to leave any particular residue. These are the ingredients from the site:

Water/Aqua/Eau, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Caffeine, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Callus Conditioned Media, Panthenol, Disodium Edta, Limonene, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Peel Oil, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Seed Extract, Vigna Radiata Seed Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Linalool, Potassium Sorbate, Gluconolactone, Biotin, Citral, Calcium Gluconate, .

I plugged the ones that I didn't immediately recognize into the Environmental Working Group's site and nothing stuck out as particularly frightening but I am no expert. They are saying that it takes 90 days to work. That last part is why I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it. I've seen good reviews for the stuff online but I don't trust those. Here is the claim from the website:

2022 SHAPE Beauty Award Winner

A clean, vegan hair serum that leaves hair looking thicker, fuller and healthier in as soon as 90 days.*

Increases appearance of hair density
    Reduces signs of shedding and fallout
    Leaves hair feeling and looking healthier, stronger and more resilient

95%

said they saw less shedding and fallout**

100%

said their hair looked healthier**

95%

said their hair felt strong and more resilient**

**Based on a 150-day consumer study of 20 participants using GRO Hair Serum.

None of that sounds especially scientific or unbiased to me.
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hello Lunasea!

I looked at the ingredients you posted, and I have to say, they look very similar to any cheap scalp tonic that is sold in Europe, in Drogerie Markt drugstores under their Balea brand. They contain much the same ingredients, only the plant extracts are different (and maybe fewer), and are also all vegan. I honestly donīt see anything in your serum that would warrant such a price tag.

I have genetically thin hair (and I am very worried how itīs going to change with age in ten or so years), and I am sometimes tempted to try those scalp serums available here. There are two things stopping me, however:

1. Alcohol denatural content - they claim that Alcohol in this instance is not harmful, they say it promotes micro-circulation around scalp follicles, thus stimulating them. But I donīt really believe this. I think that Alcohol is drying and too harsh for the scalp, especially if you donīt rinse it out right away, but you let it sit for a day or more - and I think it might cause irritation or even drying the scalp and then over-production of sebum.

2. If the cause for thinning hair is due to age or hormones or imbalanced diet or genetics, no amount of miracle product will make me sprout a iii thick hair.

Hope this helps you decide. But I also hope that product might help you, I wish you all the best.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I know some people IRL who swear by it! Of course, it can partially be the power of suggestion, but it's worth a shot in my book
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶, WL

Type
    1b/F/i

Thank you both for your responses!

Nefcerka I have to admit, out of all of the ingredients, the alcohol did give me pause. You sound a lot like me, I have always had thin hair. Mine has gotten even thinner with age; I'm pretty sure it's genetic 'cause my mother and aunt both had extremely thin hair as they got older. Oh joy. From time to time I google hairstyles for people with fine, thin hair and even for balding women. When I look at the pictures that come up I think, "I wish I had that much hair to work with."

Chasemi it's interesting to me that you know people IRL who have tried this stuff and like it. That's something.

So far I've put the stuff on twice with no irritation or noticeable residue. I'm thinking of using it but only in the front as an experiment. That's where most of my thinning is anyway; receding hairline, wide part. I need to take pictures and then compare them. I have to remember to do that when my phone is in my hands (I'm on my desktop now). I don't usually take selfies and so I tend to forget to take pictures when I'm not thinking specifically about this subject.