Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boar Bristle Brushes (BBB)

Length
    shldr/apl+/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Boar Bristle Brushes (BBB)

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has curly hair and benefited from a bbb? I usually don't brush my curly hair but if I wear it up in a bun from a damp state, when I take my hair down, it is some what straight enough to brush it. Perhaps I could use a bbb for these times?

Length
    20/23/32
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii/iii

I'm using a Diane Reinforced Boar Bristle Brush I bought from Amazon for $7. It's not 100% boar bristle but a nylon/bristle mix. I love it though. I can really see and feel the difference, and I love to use it on my hair when it's looking dull and limp- a couple of brushes and my hair looks alive again! I also use my BBB when I'm oiling my hair with jojoba oil. But I try to avoid the bristles touching my scalp too much because I'm prone to an oily scalp.

Type
    1b/M/ii

What brand brush do you use?
    It's a Polish brand, Khaja

Is it all boar or is it blended with other material?
    100% boar

How often do you use it?
    Every morning

How often do you clean it?
    Once a week

Do you use it with other oil (ie coconut)?
    No, I don't

Has it made a difference in your hair?
    Yes, of course! My hair is so shiny now, also my scalp isn't so oily right now. I also feel better - more relaxed when I use it.

Length
    9in./18in./40in.
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

What brand brush do you use?
    ~i found it in the ethnic hair section and the brush itself doesn't have a brand.
    Is it all boar or is it blended with other material?
    ~it claims to be 100% boar but i'm not really sure since i bought it on the cheap.
    How often do you use it?
    ~to smooth hair in the mornings, and at night to disperse oil.
    How often do you clean it?
    ~not as often as i like ^^"
    Do you use it with other oil (ie coconut)?
    ~occasionally, but not all the time.
    Has it made a difference in your hair?
    ~i think it has, my hair is a lot smoother and shiner when i use it.

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Have NO idea how i missed this thread! Just posted about this like yesterday lol. Im on the hunt for onebut not sure what to get. My price limit is 20 USD or less, but i want something that will last at least a year. Will be keeping my eye ont his thread and coming back with questions

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

This thread saved my hair! I've been using a Conair BBB, but it wasn't 100% boar bristle. I never thought to look through it for plastic tines!! I knew the brush was ripping my hair, but I thought I already had the right brush. So I just tried to brush it gently, but it always ripped a little bit, and a lot if I was rushing. :/

After I read this thread, I found the plastic tines (I felt like an idiot for not noticing them before! They were actually sharp! When I dragged it across my skin, it left scratches! I can't believe I've been using this on my hair!!) and I tried to pry the tines out, but the brush was unusable like that. So I chucked it in the bin, and I got a 100% BBB at Sally's for 8 bucks and my hair has improved DRAMATICALLY!! I haven't heard a rip in days!! My hair is much smoother, and shinier, and generally sleeker and is much less prone to tangling and looking stringy. Also, my layers stopped flipping up in the back, they lay flat with my hair now.

I'm amazed at what a difference the right brush can make! And I'm very happy because I didn't know *what* was wrong with my hair! I was using oil regularly, using the right shampoos and conditioners, but it still didn't look healthy.... And now I know why!!

Before and after pics below!

Yay for blonette!

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I see a few familiar brands but does anyone have a reccomendation for a easy to clean 100% BBB? Like i said above my price max is 20 USD before shipping. Im thinking about ordering from amazon. Once i do some more looking i will come back with specifics but till then...?

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    I've been using a pure 100% boar bristle brush for more than 40 years....
    I just got back from buying a BBB at Walgreens - maybe the same as Madora!

I tried it on my husbands hair and it was really amazing how his smooth and silky his hair become. On my hair, it was hard to get the brush down the length and I was worried it was going to make the ends poof. The top of my head became very smooth though so I had a kind of triangle hair-shape haha. Maybe I just need to get the hang of it but wow, what a difference so far.

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

As a newbie, it did take me some time to get used to it. Make sure your hair is completely detangled and dry. I go through it with a fine tooth comb before I use my BBB. I also really like to do it with my head flipped over. I put my hand on the other side of my hair while it slides through. I give it long slow strokes. I'm at about 10 passes now, which is working well for my fine hair.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

MeganE, I actually like the texture in the "before" pictures quite a lot, especially #1. There's so much movement!

And of course the "after" pictures are very glossy and smooth, which is pretty as well.