Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: feel like giving up, motivation please?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default feel like giving up, motivation please?

I did a lot of things to protect my hair and help it get stronger, but now im finding these splits and dry damaged look. No matter how my times i conditioned it, used castor oil, mayo treatment, used biotin, gently combed it, put it up in updos, its just drier at the end and then it splits. I don't understand, i even did S&D on saturday and now i found even more splits. Im so confused, all my hard work and its only been since Jan 28 since i got my last big trim My friends told me how split it looks and that it looks dead and dry at the ends.
    Thanks a lot braids and buns. -_-
    Anyone out there willing to help a poor frustrated soul? It'd be extremely appreciated.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: feel like giving up, motivation please?

How much had you done to your hair before this? What has it gone through? Fixing it takes longer than the damage took in the first place. Biotin especially, and castor oil if scalp applied aren't going to fix the ends. Nothing is. Those two are to help the new growth.

Damaged hair can be salvaged, but not repaired. Keep up the care and accept that it takes time. I'm sure you see a lot of inspiration here, but it takes years to get there. I konw, it stinks. All you can do is keep on keeping on and trim off the old hair as you go. Patience is the only thing almost guaranteed to get you there in the end. Especially terminal!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    How much had you done to your hair before this? What has it gone through? Fixing it takes longer than the damage took in the first place. Biotin especially, and castor oil if scalp applied aren't going to fix the ends. Nothing is. Those two are to help the new growth.

Damaged hair can be salvaged, but not repaired. Keep up the care and accept that it takes time. I'm sure you see a lot of inspiration here, but it takes years to get there. I konw, it stinks. All you can do is keep on keeping on and trim off the old hair as you go. Patience is the only thing almost guaranteed to get you there in the end. Especially terminal!
    I started since mid November, the whole shabam in mid Jan. It's gone through just bein down all the time, tons of gel and hairsray from the marhcing events we had every week, and a whole year of JROTC meant tight ponytails with loads of gel and hairspray. Never used conditioner until now. I had them braided with extensions in october for two weeks which ruined my hair and had to remove 2 inches in total of hair.
    Thank you!! Ill just keep on trimming those darn splits and damaged looking hair. I'm usually UNusually patient with everything but when it comes to way i look O.o well this is a good way to teach myself more patience mahalo!
    And i just realized with yuo saying the hair will grow and just cut off the damage...of course! Why did i forget that.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yes, your hard work will pay off later rather than sooner, but nothing will fix split ends. You just have to chop them off!

I find that any updo that shields my ends from the outside world protects better than ones where my ends are loose. But then again, I'm just not a fan of braids
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Are you using Coconut oil? My hair felt like straw on the ends and I found the coconut oil made it feel unbelievably soft and it tangled less. I have very fine hair and use only a smidge each morning after a shower or on the ends when I castor oil it overnight

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by krissykins View Post
    Yes, your hard work will pay off later rather than sooner, but nothing will fix split ends. You just have to chop them off!

I find that any updo that shields my ends from the outside world protects better than ones where my ends are loose. But then again, I'm just not a fan of braids
    Alrite, im going to take off 1/4 or so of the ends on friday, jus tot remove breakage and splits that are starting to form.
    Yes, i found that was true too, but it's what i've been doing. I braided down for one week only because i didn't like my ends down brushing against my clothes and stuff. Buns are good but i just didnt want to keep my hair in the same hairstyle for a long time you know?

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Over a year's worth of damage can't be fixed in a few months. I know most things can, but i think the best analogy would probably be weight loss. It takes time to gain the weight (hair damage), you realise it's not what you want after it sneaks up on you and you want a quick fix (pills, treatments, etc) but the best thing to get and maintain a healthy weight (healthy hair) is to go slow and make permanent lifestyle changes.

You don't have health problems holding you back, you have a finite amount of damage -when it's gone it's gone. Off you go! You can get there!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    waist/TB/long

You may need a good trim to get rid of some of those bad ends. As has been mentioned, you cannot repair the damage.

Growing long hair is a long term deal. If your hair is severely damaged, you can condition, etc., to help it look its best, but you cannot heal it. As the new hair grows in, keep trimming off the damaged part, and you will eventually have a head of beautiful, healthy hair. Then you can grow it as long as you like.

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Allychan View Post
    Are you using Coconut oil? My hair felt like straw on the ends and I found the coconut oil made it feel unbelievably soft and it tangled less. I have very fine hair and use only a smidge each morning after a shower or on the ends when I castor oil it overnight
    Actually no, its next on my list to get. That's exactly how my hair feels on certain ends. I feel like not all my hair feels like that on the ends, but its more noticeable now. Better treat it before it spreads and try coconut later! Thanks!

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    Over a year's worth of damage can't be fixed in a few months. I know most things can, but i think the best analogy would probably be weight loss. It takes time to gain the weight (hair damage), you realise it's not what you want after it sneaks up on you and you want a quick fix (pills, treatments, etc) but the best thing to get and maintain a healthy weight (healthy hair) is to go slow and make permanent lifestyle changes.

You don't have health problems holding you back, you have a finite amount of damage -when it's gone it's gone. Off you go! You can get there!
    ..jaja might i also add it was every year with marching band and never taking care of my hair? Will do, i love your analogy!! Will do, i will be patient like the slow turtle and take my time