Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair twin, are you out there? 1b/F/i oily scalp/dry ends, damaged, dry climate

Length
    hmm./APL+/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Hair twin, are you out there? 1b/F/i oily scalp/dry ends, damaged, dry climate

Hello! I am looking for my hair twin! I am picturing us celebrating our hair victories and mourning our bad hair days together, or maybe even some more experienced longhair taking me under her wing and imparting hair care secrets! I'm in the middle of a bit of a hair disaster and moral support would be lovely.

Now, twin. A twin must be more than just another 1/F/i! In fact, some other factors are probably even a little more important! Preferably, you live in a dry climate, because that changes how a lot of hair care works! Maybe you have hard water, like me. Even better if you've worked/are working through damage (mine is almost all mechanical (hairfryer, rough brushing, no flat iron, really, but occassional heat curl), although I am growing out some chemical highlights. I'm looking for someone who like me, gets a greasy scalp by day 3, but your ends stay parched as ever (or they did before you figured out some miracle product/technique/something!)

I have LOTS of breakage, LOTS of shedding, deep brunette color naturally. It goes stick straight with cones, a little smidgen wavy (really more bendy) without. Its never super voluminous, I could double my amount of hair and still look perfectly normal!

I am still trying to figure out what my hair likes and does not like! I will say it detangles more easily on cones, but also looks pretty flat. I think it prefers proteiny things. I've tried oils, acidic rinses, movie star method and CO but have yet to find my new fave routine. (CO leaves my hair pretty flat, movie star is really hard to strike the right balance between oily and staticky).

Length is not super important, but for what it's worth I'm just now between APL and BSL.

Anyway...hair twin? Are you out there? I know there are a lot of fine and straights but I'm just wondering if I have a true twin! Maybe we're even...triplets!

Default Re: Hair twin, are you out there? 1b/F/i oily scalp/dry ends, damaged, dry climate

I have a very similar hair type, with maybe a little more wave and thickness. I live in australia. Australia = very dry climate. My hair likes cones (cone free shampoo + condish, coney serum!) It needs clarifying pretty often but monstly just practice damp bunning and thats what my hair likes.

Edit: Cones make my hair feel very thin and flat, but alot softer and less tangly. cone free = bush!

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair twin, are you out there? 1b/F/i oily scalp/dry ends, damaged, dry climate

I'm in Utah, so the dry climate, although my hair is much thicker than yours.

My hair has a love/hate relationship with cones--it makes my hair shiny and not static-y, but it gets greasy and stringy looking a lot quicker.

My hair loves alternating between CO washes and S&C washes. I think the softest my hair ever was was when I was CO washing with the old Kirkland (Costco) brand conditioner (before they changed their formula), followed by ACV rinse and a little bit of coconut oil. Since Costco changed their conditioner formula, I haven't been able to find another conditioner that works quite as well. Currently I'm using Suave Lavender, although it's not my favorite ever. I'm going to try shopping around and seeing what works. I will say that CO only does a stellar job with the right conditioner. I don't know if I'll ever find the perfect one again.

Movie Star always leaves my hair super-soft, but icky greasy looking.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    hmm./APL+/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Hi Barniie!! Nice to meet you. And thank you for answering!

I too developed a cotton-candy head after no-cones! But I'm now remembering...after experimenting with some cones the last two washes...they do make everything flatter. So we're the same there!

I damp bun too while I'm drying, usually switching it around as it's drying so it has a little volume but not too "molded" from the bun.

I looked at your info, and I'm an every other day washer too! What have you been using for your products? What's your deep treatment? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but you know. That's what the board is for! I'm not going to even say what I'm using, though, because it is currently NOT WORKING!

Anyway...good on ya! Don't they say that there?

Length
    hmm./APL+/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenji View Post
    I'm in Utah, so the dry climate, although my hair is much thicker than yours.

My hair has a love/hate relationship with cones--it makes my hair shiny and not static-y, but it gets greasy and stringy looking a lot quicker.

My hair loves alternating between CO washes and S&C washes. I think the softest my hair ever was was when I was CO washing with the old Kirkland (Costco) brand conditioner (before they changed their formula), followed by ACV rinse and a little bit of coconut oil. Since Costco changed their conditioner formula, I haven't been able to find another conditioner that works quite as well. Currently I'm using Suave Lavender, although it's not my favorite ever. I'm going to try shopping around and seeing what works. I will say that CO only does a stellar job with the right conditioner. I don't know if I'll ever find the perfect one again.

Movie Star always leaves my hair super-soft, but icky greasy looking.
    Hi Laurenji! Beautiful hair! You have probably 3x as much as me though, looking at your photo! Yes to the love/hate with cones! I don't actually get greasy (at least not til day 2) but I do get limp and blah. I found on CO my hair laid very close to my scalp which was almost as bad-looking on me!

I hope your dream conditioner returns! I had okay luck with the VO5s, especially the Blackberry Sage, but that was while I was on travel to an area with soft water. (It made a pretty huge difference, CO was working for me there!) I just ordered a hard water filter, so my water may not be soft, but it will be less frightening soon!

I do seem to break a lot more hair CO-ing for some reason, maybe because there isn't any sudsing action...my hair is extremely fragile and brittle right now.

I can't tell if ACV does anything on my hair! And I thought I liked coconut oil but it may have built up on me from ears down, since I don't usually wash that. I never could get Movie Star right (after the first try, which went awesome), either I was a total greaseball or a static head. I really wanted to love it, but it wasn't happening.

Anyway, thank you so much for comparing notes!

Length
    bald/44/50in
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

My hair is like yours but I live in a moister area with hard water, how ever the winter dries my hair like crazy! My hair breaks easily as well, coconut oil is ok on my hair but I noticed my ends get crunchy, so I'm trying EVO oil and it seems better, I have noticed that using the aloe in my SMT's does give me some volume which is great! Also I'm doing and over night caster oil treatment the night before a wash to try and grow more hair! lol it's only been about a month, so far I can't tell if its working
    I'm new here and still trying to figure out what my hair likes, I have used cones and non-cone products but so far it doesn't seem that my hair reacts differently to either one...weird

It's so hard to get my hair to lay straight

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

1b/F/i/ii here!

Preferably, you live in a dry climate, because that changes how a lot of hair care works! Maybe you have hard water, like me. I have hard water, but I live in a hot, humid climate.

Even better if you've worked/are working through damage (mine is almost all mechanical (hairfryer, rough brushing, no flat iron, really, but occassional heat curl), although I am growing out some chemical highlights. My damage is mostly from chemical dye. Only about three inches of my hair is healthy, and I am almost at waist.

I'm looking for someone who like me, gets a greasy scalp by day 3, but your ends stay parched as ever (or they did before you figured out some miracle product/technique/something!) This was me until I started using AO's Calagula Fern Shampoo and equal parts of conditioner and oil on my ends as a leave-in. I find that mixing the conditioner and oil together before I apply keeps my hair from looking oily and keeps my ends softer than with just straight oil or cones. I shampoo 2x a week, and sometimes less than that. Before I found this routine, I had to wash every other day. Also, I rarely brush my hair, which has also cut down on the oily scalp.

I have LOTS of breakage, LOTS of shedding, deep brunette color naturally. I don't have much breakage but yes on shedding and color too!

It goes stick straight with cones, a little smidgen wavy (really more bendy) without. Its never super voluminous, I could double my amount of hair and still look perfectly normal! Yes, yes, yes.

I am still trying to figure out what my hair likes and does not like! I will say it detangles more easily on cones, but also looks pretty flat.
    I think it prefers proteiny things. My hair too likes a little protein, but I think that's mainly for the damage. My hair detangles more easily with cones when it is wet, but once it is dry, it tangles MORE than without cones. I still use cones on occasion, mainly because I'm trying to use up my stash.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I think I am actually a 1b, or at least will be once my hair is longer (I'm stuck at neck from cutting out damage constantly) Other than that we would be hair twins as my hair is damaged, super greasy roots and dry ends
    I use oil on my ends, wet & dry it's lovely and my hair likes protein packs. I don't CO because it leaves my hair much too flat as well with such little thickness to begin with. I like CWC and I love cones with the damage, I tried no cones and my hair went crunchy and split after a week! I do notttt suggest if you have bleached your hair!

If it weren't for the fact that I pretty much have no hair right now we'd be hair twinies
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    hmm./APL+/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    My hair is like yours but I live in a moister area with hard water, how ever the winter dries my hair like crazy! My hair breaks easily as well, coconut oil is ok on my hair but I noticed my ends get crunchy, so I'm trying EVO oil and it seems better, I have noticed that using the aloe in my SMT's does give me some volume which is great! Also I'm doing and over night caster oil treatment the night before a wash to try and grow more hair! lol it's only been about a month, so far I can't tell if its working
    I'm new here and still trying to figure out what my hair likes, I have used cones and non-cone products but so far it doesn't seem that my hair reacts differently to either one...weird
    Hi Skyblue! Thanks for writing...I looked at your picture and your hair texture looks a lot like mine, from what I can tell! I haven't tried EVOO yet but probably should, the kind I have now smells very strong though.

I had to give up the SMTs, they weren't doing anything for me and I think now I realize that's because honey and aloe are humectants, and my conditioner was full of them, so in this dry climate the moisture was getting attracted OUT!

I'm still trying to figure out what works too, thanks for the thoughts!

Length
    hmm./APL+/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post
    1b/F/i/ii here!

I'm looking for someone who like me, gets a greasy scalp by day 3, but your ends stay parched as ever (or they did before you figured out some miracle product/technique/something!) This was me until I started using AO's Calagula Fern Shampoo and equal parts of conditioner and oil on my ends as a leave-in. I find that mixing the conditioner and oil together before I apply keeps my hair from looking oily and keeps my ends softer than with just straight oil or cones. I shampoo 2x a week, and sometimes less than that. Before I found this routine, I had to wash every other day. Also, I rarely brush my hair, which has also cut down on the oily scalp.

I have LOTS of breakage, LOTS of shedding, deep brunette color naturally. I don't have much breakage but yes on shedding and color too!

I am still trying to figure out what my hair likes and does not like! I will say it detangles more easily on cones, but also looks pretty flat.
    I think it prefers proteiny things. My hair too likes a little protein, but I think that's mainly for the damage. My hair detangles more easily with cones when it is wet, but once it is dry, it tangles MORE than without cones. I still use cones on occasion, mainly because I'm trying to use up my stash.
    Hello Chrissy B! Colbert is hilarious. It would not have occurred to me to mix the oil with the conditioner, I will have to try that! Do you feel the AO conditioner is a good conditioner on its own, or that it's the oil that does the trick?

As to the cones/no cones thing...I was starting to feel that too, that wet they were really helpful and then afterwards, not so much. I'm still on the fence. I wish there was a more coney non-cone substance, if that makes sense. I worry that I'm doing more damage to my hair brushing and handling it without cones, then I would be using harsher detergent to get them out...

Thanks for the ideas!