Thread: containing wispies

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default containing wispies

Does anyone have any tricks for containing wispies in babyfine hair? I'm not talking about a few, I have TONS and they don't look like an angel-halo to me, they just look bad.

Today's photo is a really good example of what I'm talking about:

They're EVERYWHERE and I don't want to hairspray them, but they're constantly making my nice neat hairstyles look... well, bad!

The problem is I had shingles last year that got into my eye, and it took 8 months to heal. Somehow the combination of stress, the dozens of prescriptions & the forced bedrest (from prescription-induced nausea) caused all sorts of breakage. I trimmed 6" last fall to get rid of the bulk of the damage, but some hair completely fell out and I have a handful of shorter hair at EVERY length right now.

Is there anything I can do to try to contain these? Oil doesn't work, they're too fine to catch in a barrette, and even bobbie-pins don't hold them for more than a few minutes.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: containing wispies

Coconut oil mixed 1:1 with aloe vera gel might do it - it should give you enough stick but no worry about the aloe being a humectant and causing drying if you live somewhere with dry air.

Length
    pixie/Shldr/APL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

The only thing that works for me is a french braid (or sometimes two). I have those wispies and also layers, so my hair sticks out at every length, too. A dutch or french braid is really the only style where it's not noticeable.
    26/8/1916 - 21/09/2010

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

How do snoods or scarves grab you? You can't get less damaging than a silk scarf, really, and it would keep everything contained until it gained some length. Add some sunglasses, and voila, you're Audrey Hepburn.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I'm a fan of the George Michael/Madora InStar spray. It's kind of hairspray-like, but not problematic, IMO. I spritz it on my hand, rub my hands together and smooth it over my hair, as you say, to contain wispies.

The GM/Madora Frizz Away is a heavier product, and I admit I haven't experimented with it as much. (the InStar is just so easy. )

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I just add a little gel over them. The ones I don't like are in the front, and I'm also growing out bangs, so with gel all looks smooth. The ones in the back I don't mind much.

Length
    17/25/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

A little light hairspray smoothed on by hand can do the job perfectly?
    I like pepperminttea's silk scarf idea too - very Hepburn indeed!
    I suffer from the delusion that every product of my imagination is not only possible, but always on the cusp of becoming real.
    Straight:Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip Curly: Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist