Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I wash my hair?

Post How should I wash my hair?

Hi, I need some advice I wash my hair from the scalp down to the ends with shampoo every time and follow up with a protein and deep conditioning mask or just a conditioning mask. I then rinse, apply conditioner and rinse again. Now and again I do an ACV or beer rinse. I let my hair air dry before I sometimes apply a coney serum. Then I apply oil to the lengths, olive oil, sweet almond oil, camellia oil or argan oil. I apply more oil the following days. I usually wash my hair every three to four days and when I finally wash it, it is really, really greasy. My question is; is it a way to wash out all of the oil and the coney serum and get clean hair without using a shampoo down the lenths of my hair every time I wash or is shampoo necessary to be able to wash everything out?

Length
    24/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: How should I wash my hair?

I can't answer your question in regards to the coney serum, but oils are easiest removed with conditioner. Just slap some conditioner on your dry (unwashed) lengths, wait 10 to 20 minutes and hop under the shower. Then you can shampoo your roots and let the suds (sp?) run down your length. After you've washed all the shampoo out, you might wish to use another layer of conditioner on your lengths.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I use coney conditoner and sometimes a coney serum, and personally I don't find I have to shampoo at every wash.

If only using coney CO, I can generally get away with clarifying every couple of months.

If also using a heavy coney serum, it's more like weeks.

Have you actually tried not clarifying, to see if you get instant build-up, or are you just assuming you will?

Hope this helps.

Edit: just read it properly and see it's not build-up, it's grease.

Do you mean greasy at the roots?

If so, that might just be due to all the over-shampooing.

If greasy lengths, you're just applying too much oil.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Post Re: How should I wash my hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Marjolein View Post
    I can't answer your question in regards to the coney serum, but oils are easiest removed with conditioner. Just slap some conditioner on your dry (unwashed) lengths, wait 10 to 20 minutes and hop under the shower. Then you can shampoo your roots and let the suds (sp?) run down your length. After you've washed all the shampoo out, you might wish to use another layer of conditioner on your lengths.
    Thanks for your reply. I`ll try with conditioner only on my dry unwashed lengths and see how that works

Quote Originally Posted by chopandchange View Post
    I use coney conditoner and sometimes a coney serum, and personally I don't find I have to shampoo at every wash.

If only using coney CO, I can generally get away with clarifying every couple of months.

If also using a heavy coney serum, it's more like weeks.

Have you actually tried not clarifying, to see if you get instant build-up, or are you just assuming you will?

Hope this helps.

Edit: just read it properly and see it's not build-up, it's grease.

Do you mean greasy at the roots?

If so, that might just be due to all the over-shampooing.

If greasy lengths, you're just applying too much oil.
    I guess I just assumed that I wouldn`t get the oil and coney serum out if I didn`t use shampoo evey time and yes, my roots also gets greasy very quickly. If I wash my hair in the evening, the roots are very greasy the next morning. Greasy to the point that I can`t wear my hair down. I`ll cut back on the shampoo and see how that works out.
    Last edited by CastaDiva; February 16th, 2011 at 08:15 AM.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I found that when I quit shampooiing my hair so often - I was washing every day or two because the roots were so greasy - my roots stopped being so greasy and I could go to washing every 5 days or so. Amazing, since my hair used to get so oily it looked wet. It did take several weeks to make the adjustment, if you are interested, search for threads on stretching time between washes. It seems when my scalp was overstimulated from so much washing, it overproduced oil.

Another thing I changed was to wash with herbs only and use catnip soaks for conditioning. My hair grew 8 inches in a year on that routine!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniels8811 View Post
    I found that when I quit shampooiing my hair so often - I was washing every day or two because the roots were so greasy - my roots stopped being so greasy and I could go to washing every 5 days or so. Amazing, since my hair used to get so oily it looked wet. It did take several weeks to make the adjustment, if you are interested, search for threads on stretching time between washes. It seems when my scalp was overstimulated from so much washing, it overproduced oil.

Another thing I changed was to wash with herbs only and use catnip soaks for conditioning. My hair grew 8 inches in a year on that routine!
    Thanks for your reply, kdaniels8811 It`s nice to hear from others who have managed to overcome the problem with super oily roots. I think I can come to the conclution that I have been using too much shampoo. I`ll search for threads on stretching time between washes and maybe I`ll try to wash with herbs as well because 8 inches of growth in one year is amazing!
    Last edited by CastaDiva; February 16th, 2011 at 08:14 AM.

Length
    20.5/22.5/32
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I found in my transition period of not washing my hair so much...I use baby powder. (i dont know if everyone else does, or thinks it is smart, my grandma taught me it and she had knee length hair until she died and she did it.) A very small sprinkle for darker hair...like mine...and i guess a little more with lighter hair. however, you cannot do that everyday otherwise you look like your hair went grey quick! you wanna do it the last day to stretch it out. and then your hair will just be used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sal00n View Post
    I found in my transition period of not washing my hair so much...I use baby powder. (i dont know if everyone else does, or thinks it is smart, my grandma taught me it and she had knee length hair until she died and she did it.) A very small sprinkle for darker hair...like mine...and i guess a little more with lighter hair. however, you cannot do that everyday otherwise you look like your hair went grey quick! you wanna do it the last day to stretch it out. and then your hair will just be used to it.
    Thanks for your reply and tip, sal00n I will definately put baby powder on my list of products I`ll have to try.

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Um, do you like the way your hair looks? If this method of washing is making your hair nice, I see little reason to mess with it. If it's working, don't try to "fix" it. Plenty of people here wash their hair every day or every other day and have gorgeous hair. Plenty of people here use lots of 'coney products and have gorgeous hair. Personally, I wash my hair every 3-4 days, and I have no plans to go longer between washes.

If you're having a problem with this routine, then try troubleshooting a specific problem. For example, it sounds like you dislike how greasy your hair is the last day before you wash it. Perhaps try not adding oil/serum to it on days you haven't just washed it. Or if you're worried about the expense (since it sounds like you use a lot of products), try eliminating one product from your routine for a couple weeks to see how it affects how your hair looks. Simple, small steps, in a controlled way, based on specific issues, rather than a generalization like "Washing your hair too often is bad."