Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Oil Shampoo

Length
    17/29/30-32
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Discuss Oil Shampoo

I used this method for a whole month.....then I reached saturation. So I used just shampoo, my hair so horribly dry! I rewashed four days later and used conditioner. What happened? Did I do something wrong?

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shockinglength View Post
    I used this method for a whole month.....then I reached saturation. So I used just shampoo, my hair so horribly dry! I rewashed four days later and used conditioner. What happened? Did I do something wrong?
    Well I can imagine that even one "shampoo only" wash would also make my hair rather dry and horrible. If I reached saturation (which I probably will!), I think I'd do a clarifying shampoo followed by a good quality conditioner, and then go back to doing my oil shampoo and see what happens. I can't imagine using shampoo only because it would tangle badly.

Alternatively I'd try just WO for a couple of days or CO and see how it turns out??
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

sigh... I thought after reading the long thread from th on the feeling in the community lately that the oil shampoo thread was going to get shut down...

My latest, (after using HEDRIN [URL="http://www.hedrin.com.au/"] because my 11 year old brought home headlice, and I like the idea of mechanically killing the lice, not relying on chemicals)
    I clarified and then washed with a poo oil mix. I washed again thenext day, and for the first time in my life I have static hair!
    It's very shiny, I wonder ifI still have silicones from the Hedrin on my hair, inspite of clarifying...
    What do you reckon?

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Well, I was one of the first two to reach saturation (first of December) and stayed at it for quite a while. Using just shampoo once should work great if you actually are at saturation - mine feels like oil is still in there. Then the next time, add the oil back in.

I've just stopped using this method right now because 1. I'm quite ill at the moment and some days I NEED to use dry shampoo and 2. I was having the same dulling of my silvers that BTR is reporting, even with skipping two oil washes. I think I'm going to clarify and restart when I get to feeling better. (The dry shampoo builds up - I have to clarify when I use it. Hence why I won't be using this method when I'm having a flare of my illness).

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I've watched this thread, and wanted to share my experiences--however, I don't mix the shampoo and oil---so, what I do may not be within this topic.

I will always oil my length (more in the summer) to soften it/hydrate, and do a method that is somewhat similar. However, I wet hair, slather with olive oil, then clarify--I can't use oil on my scalp--it's already greasy enough

The results are wonderful, and I always enjoyed it. Just didn't know if what I did should be shared, as I wondered if it was more of an oiling ends topic.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    Pixie/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/F/i

I'm quitting. I've tried loads and loads of thing over the past month, different shampoos, ratios, different coconut oils, and the last week I've started losing insane amounts of hair. Insane. This is not a luxury I can afford, being a puny f/i, so this is me quitting and running back to shampooing the scalp only with a SLS-free shampoo (Dr. Hauschka or Yes To Carrots) and conditioning from the ears down. My experimenting never got me that far anyway, sometimes it was dry and impossible to detangle, and sometimes it was matted and greasy-looking and impossible to detangle. I never achieved anything even close to the results some people did, though I was willing to try. But I don't want to lose àny more hair.

I may be trying again if this thread continues, but then again I'm going to be using Elumen deposit-only haircolours as soon as I can find where I can order them, and their coatings may give difficulties. I don't know what to believe anymore, the more time I spend on LHC, the worse off my hair seems to get.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by madeline_ View Post
    I'm quitting. I've tried loads and loads of thing over the past month, different shampoos, ratios, different coconut oils, and the last week I've started losing insane amounts of hair. Insane. This is not a luxury I can afford, being a puny f/i, so this is me quitting and running back to shampooing the scalp only with a SLS-free shampoo (Dr. Hauschka or Yes To Carrots) and conditioning from the ears down. My experimenting never got me that far anyway, sometimes it was dry and impossible to detangle, and sometimes it was matted and greasy-looking and impossible to detangle. I never achieved anything even close to the results some people did, though I was willing to try. But I don't want to lose àny more hair.

I may be trying again if this thread continues, but then again I'm going to be using Elumen deposit-only haircolours as soon as I can find where I can order them, and their coatings may give difficulties. I don't know what to believe anymore, the more time I spend on LHC, the worse off my hair seems to get.

Oh dear, you sound like me! I have given up trying to copy all the things people do on here and just stick to plain old conditioner with the occasional shampoo, and I'm fine!

Baking soda, oils, eggs, honey, treacle and even Listerine...none of it worked for me like they claimed it worked for them and my hair is much happier if I just use commercial products! Do what works for YOU.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    chin/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I tried the oil shampoo method and it didn't work for me at all. Instead of being smooth and sleek, my hair was fluffy... and huge. Soft, yes... but not attractive. I'm going to stick to other methods for now.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Chibbylick View Post
    sigh... I thought after reading the long thread from th on the feeling in the community lately that the oil shampoo thread was going to get shut down...
    Hi

Could you direct me to this thread please? I'd like to have a look.

Thanks

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

I'm enjoying the method so far. Am currently experimenting with shampoos to find one I like. I originally tried the experiment with Nizoral shampoo but it's medicated and after the intial period of treatment during which the shampoo is used for every wash, it should only be used intermittantly. The method worked perfectly for me with Nizoral and I had drfeam hair.

Since switching from Nizoral I have tried a shampoo I found at Sally's (Bounce coconut oil shampoo) which left my hair feeling very strange and heavy. Last time I washed I tried using the Garnier Fructis fortifying shampoo and it worked a treat. We'll see what it's like over a longer period of time.

One of the things I like about this method is that if the shampoo and oil combination aren't working very well, it's very simple to start again from scratch. If I use too much oil, I simply wash again with straight shampoo (to date my clarifying shampoo by Mastey) and follow it immediately (in the same session) with an oil shampoo. The first wash with straight shampoo removes excess oil and the second oil shampoo works marvellously as a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. Similarly, when I decided that my Sally's shampoo wasn't working very well I simply washed once with my clarifying shampoo and followed immediately with an oil shampoo using the Garnier Fructis.

It seems to me that the coconut oil can theoretically entirely replace all other conditioners. It can of course be used for light oilings in between washes on any dry ends etc. The principle of the method seems sound to me but of course, as with so many other beauty regimes, will not necessarily work for everyone.
    Last edited by pariate; February 6th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.