Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I look like an oil slick.

Length
    SL/WAIST/HIP?!

Default I look like an oil slick.

So one month and four days into the new year and I'm doing great with my hair resolutions (no cutting or heat), but I've come across another problem.
    I have almost no time to wash my hair, seriously. I'm in school 5 days a week and I work 6 days a week. I would wash my hair in the mornings but it take 6-8 hours to dry and I'm not a fan of the wet hair look! As you can imagine this has forced me to go days without washing my hair. Even updos can't hide the oil. So I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions for dry shampoo? Store bought or homemade would be fine. I've tried baby powder, but with black hair that's not the best item to use!
    I'm not sure how the SO people manage to make things work, but big props to you guys!!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: I look like an oil slick.

I find that dry shampoos and other methods that are supposed to get rid of oil 1) don't work all that well on my hair... it looks a bit less oily, but still looks kinda oily... and some of them leave it feeling really icky; and 2) take longer than just showering real quick. Can you wash it at night and let it dry while you sleep? That's my usual plan.

Use a natural boar bristle brush, it will spread the sebum down the length of your hair and make the oil look like you put product in it rather than just an un-showered head of hair.

Hope that helped, good luck to you! (:

Length
    SL/WAIST/HIP?!

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    I find that dry shampoos and other methods that are supposed to get rid of oil 1) don't work all that well on my hair... it looks a bit less oily, but still looks kinda oily... and some of them leave it feeling really icky; and 2) take longer than just showering real quick. Can you wash it at night and let it dry while you sleep? That's my usual plan.
    Unfortunately I get home really late from work and I have to get right to sleep so I can wake up early for school, it's a horrible schedule!
    What about using a BBB? I know that my hair type will poof up, but would I have to brush everyday to spread the oil throughout my hair? Would it even make a difference?

Length
    long/TB/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

There was a thread I saw somewhere around here that suggested using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

BBB takes the oil at my roots and spreads it out a few inches, making my hair look greasier and more slicked down than it started. It supposedly works for others though.

I guess I don't understand how you would have time in the mornings to shower but not in the evenings?

Length
    chin/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

I guess that you take shower every evening before go to bed, so then you can wash your hair also . It's only 5 more minutes so it doesn't make big difference. I do that all the time and in this way I don't have problems with not having time for washing my hair. It's just part of my shower before I go to bed.
    Chin---Shoulder---APL---BSL(61cm)--(63cm)--WL(74cm)

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I use this stuff: Clickedy Click

I'm not sure where you're from but this is sold in the UK. It's cheap, and basically does what it says it does! This is white too, but I have black hair, and it works fine. Maybe because it is lighter or brushes out easier than baby powder?

Type
    1c/C/iii

Seriously, if you cannot fit in time to shampoo your hair once a week then something needs to change, and it is not around what you do with your hair but with your crazy schedule. I am concerned about your health and well-being.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/26/49
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    BBB takes the oil at my roots and spreads it out a few inches, making my hair look greasier and more slicked down than it started. It supposedly works for others though.

I guess I don't understand how you would have time in the mornings to shower but not in the evenings?
    Not everyone can simply postpone to sleep.