Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EVOO V coconut oil

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default EVOO V coconut oil

OK ive started using EVOO in place of coconut oil and so far I am loving it. Now I understand coconut oil penetrates the hair but when I used it, it never completely soaked into my hair, however using the same amount of EVOO over night and it soaks right into my hair and makes my hair feel like when its been washed with cones. My hair is wavy and I wouldn't describe it as dry or greasy just normal; the only time it goes greasy is if I dont wash it for like 9 days.

Anyway, I think ive found my ideal oil, albeit a heavy oil which sunrises me as my hair isnt particularly dry, but it is prone to breakage due to being fine.

Anybody else find their hair totally contradicts the "hair rules" as in lighter oils for finer hair, heavier oils for drier, curlier hair.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: EVOO V coconut oil

My hair is kind of fine, but also kind of curly. It likes both oils but it prefers EVOO. Coconut Oil makes it look greasier than EVOO for some reason.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Yes thats what ive noticed too, much less greasy with EVOO, my hair is getting more wavy as it gets longer, I wonder if this is why it needs the extra moisture EVOO provides. Have you tried it on your nails and skin? my nails are growing like weeds and makes a great face moisturiser.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

No, I don't do well with EVOO but I think with my hair type I should. My hair does not like being weighed down and that's what EVOO does to mine.
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    3 in./APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

What an interesting topic! I've been wondering this myself in regards to my hair! I find that Coconut Oil, when applied to my hair dry, is great for making my hair more oily. Which is good as a pre-shampoo treatment or when my hair is super frizzy. I love that oil.

That being said, I've found that Olive Oil actually absorbs more into my hair, thereby leaving it super soft and shiny. I can use that after I wash my hair, while it's still damp. I do have curly hair, but it is fine to medium and low to normal porosity.

I have been wondering if porosity has anything to do with it. I also use grapeseed oil a bit like I would a shine serum. That oil definitely does not absorb into my hair, but it does leave a high sheen!

Oh, and I thought I had read somewhere that Olive Oil and Coconut Oil both absorb into the hair. I could be wrong.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived"~ Strictly Ballroom

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I have always oiled on wet hair but I am finding EVOO does better on dry hair; I am thinking too it penetrates the hair shaft. I can't get over how by morning it is near enough absorbed.

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Yeah.. I really don't like coconut oil.

Olive oil is like a miracle for me though.

Cool Re: EVOO V coconut oil

My hair LOVES EVOO!!!! I have tried all kinds of oils, EVOO is the only oil for me!!! My hair is straight and fine!! Great thread!!!!

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I do way better with EVOO, and coconut isn't the only oil that penetrates. So does olive and avocado, I think. I'm one of those that gets crunchy dry ends with coconut oil. About being heavy, I have a lot of fine hairs but a lot of it, so isn't too heavy for me.

I have tried A LOT of oils, in my culture is pretty common to use oils as hair/skin care, I can find it easily. Olive oil is the winner, my hair is MUCH softer with it! My top 3 are olive, carrot and grapeseed.

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

My hair "didn't like" coconut oil as a deep oiling treatment, but it's loving the small amount used in the Movie Star Shampoo!