Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Nanny Pauline's Recipes and Techniques

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Nanny Pauline's Recipes and Techniques

I, for one, am so glad you revived this thread because otherwise I probably wouldn’t have come across it & it’s fascinating!

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post
    I had to clean a couple times during the brushing, and a wash of the brush afterward.
    By clean do you mean clean out the BBB with your comb? Or did you wash it multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    I, for one, am so glad you revived this thread because otherwise I probably wouldn’t have come across it & it’s fascinating!
    I'm glad you found it.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

*I'm not sure if it's okay that I revive this thread, but creating a new one felt wrong. It's not my recipe to share and perhaps some of the new member will enjoy this thread as much as I did when I found it .

After a lot of hesitation, I finally decided to give the airing powder recipe a go and it is honestly incredible. This is the first dry shampoo that actually cleans my hair and doesn't freak out my scalp. I comb it out with a horn comb instead of a bbb (my hair hates them for some reason) and that works really well. I do need to clean the comb afterwards though, but that's not a lot of work. Leaving the powder on for 20 minutes is definitely necessary, it's super hard to get out otherwise even on my slippery hair. After 20 minutes the powder has pretty much disappeared, no white cast at all!! Stretching wash days to 4 or even 5 days has become a real option all of a sudden, normally I really need to wash after 3 (and then it's already very oily).

For the most part I stuck to the original recipe. I only made a few small changes. I didn't add the honey absolute, though I may try adding that in a future batch. The other alteration I made was substituting cornstarch for rice starch. My scalp hates corn starch and I found rice starch popping up in other searches for airing powders in combination with orris root powder. So I hoped that it would work in this recipe as well. At least for me, it created a dry shampoo that works wonders. Perhaps for the people who liked to try this, but don't get along with cornstarch, this will help.

I don't know if the OP is still active, but I still wanted to thank them for sharing this recipe (and all the other wonderful posts)!
    CL - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - WL - ??
    2 years dye-free!

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I’m glad this thread popped up again. I tried this recipe way back, and it was wonderful. I stopped using it when I was on isotretinoin (because my scalp was so dry I struggled to find anything I could use), but maybe I should go back to it, since I’m not on that any more and my scalp has settled down.

I remember I used orris root, but a little less corn starch. I still have the small bottle of *incredibly thick & sticky* honey absolute in a drawer somewhere.

Just saying for those that are looking to buy the honey absolute (at least the stuff I got), unless you heat it up, good luck getting nice little drops - my stuff is like syrup and the stuff in the bottle only got thicker and stickier with time. Smells heavenly though.

I definitely didn’t use a BBB. I think I tried for a while, but I got on better with my regular Denman styling brush or a horn comb.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tigereye View Post
    I’m glad this thread popped up again. I tried this recipe way back, and it was wonderful. I stopped using it when I was on isotretinoin (because my scalp was so dry I struggled to find anything I could use), but maybe I should go back to it, since I’m not on that any more and my scalp has settled down.

I remember I used orris root, but a little less corn starch. I still have the small bottle of *incredibly thick & sticky* honey absolute in a drawer somewhere.

Just saying for those that are looking to buy the honey absolute (at least the stuff I got), unless you heat it up, good luck getting nice little drops - my stuff is like syrup and the stuff in the bottle only got thicker and stickier with time. Smells heavenly though.

I definitely didn’t use a BBB. I think I tried for a while, but I got on better with my regular Denman styling brush or a horn comb.
    Good to know! I'll probably leave out the honey absolute unless I find an amazing deal or something for the stuff. It works great right now, so no reason to change it. I think the honey serves (at least partially) as a humectant, so perhaps I'll experiment a bit with other stuff that has similar properties sometime.
    CL - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - WL - ??
    2 years dye-free!

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

This is an awesome thread revival, I've ordered some orris root powder to play with. I also don't use BBB so I'm glad to hear that other combs substitute nicely. I'm also fascinated with the idea that the powder keeps evil spirits away... from my hair. How fun!
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alissalocks View Post
    This is an awesome thread revival, I've ordered some orris root powder to play with. I also don't use BBB so I'm glad to hear that other combs substitute nicely. I'm also fascinated with the idea that the powder keeps evil spirits away... from my hair. How fun!
    Where did you find orris root? I've been using arrowroot because I couldn't easily/affordably find it.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Never read this thread before! It looks very interesting. I'm going to read this when I'm home after work, thanks for bumping this!

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Has anyone tried using the airing powder before bed and then brushing out in the morning? I don’t necessarily have time in the AM to put in powder, wait 20 minutes and then brush it out, so I thought perhaps putting it before bed and then brushing it out the next day would work for me, especially since my hair likes to crank out the oil overnight.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SparkleTess View Post
    Has anyone tried using the airing powder before bed and then brushing out in the morning? I don’t necessarily have time in the AM to put in powder, wait 20 minutes and then brush it out, so I thought perhaps putting it before bed and then brushing it out the next day would work for me, especially since my hair likes to crank out the oil overnight.
    There are people out there who put their dry shampoo in before bed and brush it out in the morning. It seems to work for some, not for others. YMMV. You'll just have to "guinea pig yourself".
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)