Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanny Pauline's Recipes and Techniques

Your Nanny seems like a great and beautiful lady.

Oddly enough, I've been using some pine tar soap to wash my scalp lately. It doesn't seem to be drying at all, so far
    http://www.soapshed.com/store/Pine-T...-pr-17925.html

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Nanny Pauline's Coronet

Nanny's most often worn hairstyle was a Coronet (braid over the head like a crown). It is a deceptively simple style, this version can be rock solid and holds extremely well.

This is designed to use up alot of lenght and put the middle of the braid over the center of the head. This is the area of th braid that is the most regular in thickness. Also, if you braid too tight, this will not work. As with all hairstyles, you have to futz with it a few times to see what works best.

When my hair gets longer, one of my goals is to reproduce this style and document it with my own hair. I watched her do it thousands of times. When she was older, I often did it for her. I have done it on one other woman, she was a Pakistani friend. I taught it to her and she wore it quite often. I was a little jealous, but also happy that she liked it so much.

Nanny didn't like her hair to be pulled flat to her head in the front. She liked a softer look. This requires an extra step to achieve.

What you need,
    --Some haircolor silk ribbon, Nanny used 1/2" silk ribbon, it takes 3 pieces to do the style this way. Or something else to fix your tassel.
    --Some steel hairpins. Nanny used steel hairpins from Karachi, they look like 3" long Amish Pins, but a little wider. I find that Hair Scroos will work too if your hair is thick enough to hide them.
    --Two small haircolor combs to hold the braid that's hiding your tassel.
    --Two big bobby pins or a small hair comb that will hold the fluffed up hair at the front.

Step 1, softening the front.
    --Part hair from ear to ear across the top of your head, a couple of inches behind the hairline. A good spot is where you'd naturally put a headband to balance well.
    --Lift this hair upward, give it a few twists, push it forward just a bit, wrap the hair round and round two fingers till it is used up. Then anchor against your head under where the braid will go with crossed bobby pins. If you want a side part, you can do this twice, once on each side of your part. (If you use hair combs instead of bobby pins, push them with he points going from back to front).
    Note: She did not include this hair in her big braid or it would pull the front flat. It would also make the big braid thicker which of course makes the taper more extreme.

Step 2, Start at the bottom for really long hair.
    If your hair is really long, I mean knee lenght if it is average thickness.
    --Comb hair over the left shoulder, with head turned to the right.
    --Split hair into braiding strands to the right of center and above the nape. You can anchor if you need to with a ribbon tied into a bow (that way you can pull it out later or just tuck the loops in).
    --Lean to the left with your head turned to the right. Start your braid horizontally for about 3 turns, not too tight, till you get to your ear. If you need to catch hairs, do so only on the bottom edge of the braid. This braid is forming a pocket that will hide your tassel later. I find this trickey on myself because one hand is over my head and the other is from the side. But it is really the only trickey part.
    --Now you can get your hands over to work over your left shoulder. Bend over farther, letting your hair fall more forward and braid up ward. (Not too tightly) (At first this is hard because you don't know where the braid will lie best and where the pins will go best).
    --Continue over your head, placing the braid right on top of the anchors for the front hair. Try to lay the braid flat. As you get to the middle, you have to tilt your body to move the hair over to the right. Always braid in the direction you want to go, holding it against your head and letting the extra hair fall in the direction you are headed. You can stop and run a comb through as needed, just hold the braid one handed with your fingers curled between strands and keep it close to your head.
    --Continue to just behind the right ear. Now evaluate what's left. Is it too thin to go on? If so, just tie with a ribbon and continue to the next step.
    If you can continue just braid downward a turn or two, then continue across the back right on top of where you started. Tie with a ribbon.

Step 3, Finishing the Coronet
    --DON'T STAND UP YET. Put you hand on the braid on top first.
    --Stand up, adjust the braid and anchor with hairpins. This takes long pins, 3" are best, anchor them in the line of the braid. catch the underside and push them along the braid.
    Amish pins work, but I prefer to have a pin with that's a little wider like the Indian "steel hairpins."

Step 4, finishing the back.
    --This type of braiding will, by it's nature, end in a very long tassel. Just loop it around two fingers, held toward the center back, over and over till it's used up. Then poke it in the pocket at the back formed by the horizontal braid.
    --Grap your prettiest wide hair comb or big wide barette. Comb it lightly through the surface hair running down the back of your head to neaten them. push the excess into that "pocket" formed by the horizontal braid.
    --Use your fingers to roll the "pocket" braid toward your head just a smidge and tuck in the extra stuff, not too tight. Anchor with your comb or barette. (reminiscent of a Gibson tuck).

How with a comb? First point the tines toward your head with the back of the comb upward, insert till it touches your head. Then rotate the comb upward so the tines point down and seat it.

It actually sounds way more complicated than it is. This style is DESIGNED TO USE UP LENGTH and distribute it evenly around your head without pulling.

If you want to do a similar style, with classic length hair. Start step 2 by braiding upward behind your ear and over the top. The back hair will slant toward that ear, but it will work fine. and the more even part of your braid will be on the top.

To hide the tassel, just twirl it around your fingers and tuck it back up underneath the braid. It takes a little practice.

This version will use up length too, just not as much. Thinner hair makes a longer braid, so start lower.

Note: Nanny actually did a couple of versions of this style, but this is the one that looked the best from the back and would hold through anything, even swimming.
    Last edited by Gladtobemom; June 9th, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
    [/URL]

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii
    [/URL]

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have the orris root, but no honey absolute. The only place I found has a tiny bit for an arm and a leg, and they want the other arm and a leg for shipping. Does anyone have another source?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Nanny Pauline

These are fascinating family histories - you have had such an interesting life so far - graced by very special people.

Than you so much for sharing them.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Gladtobemom....I've so enjoyed reading your stories of Nanny Pauline. It sounds like she brought a lot of richness and joy into your life! What very special women you both are!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

heh- I grow orris! mom had a source for hundred plus year old orris root and they let her have some of the plants. They are a form of iris' and ancient, grow and look like iris' and the roots are what is used for so MUCH... its wonderful.. It does take a ton top get a cup of powder..

Thanks so much for sharing her stories and her receipts and methods with us!

How different life used to be.
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page

Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

Gladtobemom, Nanny Pauline sounds to have been a very interesting woman. Reading your stories about her made me think of my dear great-grandmother. When I was little I used to sit and watch her comb and brush her long locks. It is one of the reasons I decided to grow my own hair long. I shall definnitely use the receipts you have provided. Thank you for sharing.

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thank you all. She was very very special.
    [/URL]

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

Thanks so much from another member GTBM You're stories about her were very touching and fantastic.Thank you for sharing your memories with us and lucky you for having a Nanny Pauline

You should definately submit your articles on her hair care to the articles section here!
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights