Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonderful "side effect" of giving up chemical dye

Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Wink Wonderful "side effect" of giving up chemical dye

I've used chemical dye for the last couple of years (before that I was a henna head) to "blend" my white roots with my blonde hair. I was using a permanent low vol tint in the same colour as my hair. Last October I gave it up and decided to go all natural. I have a good 2 and a half inches or so of virgin growth now and I'm really pleased with the way it's looking.

Lately, I've noticed that I have a lot of short hairs on my head that are coincidentally about 2.5 inches as well! They are soft and curly/ringlety and look quite nice all around my face. I even have a sort of mini fringe of ringlets going on I am concluding that perhaps this is hair that would normally grow, except my previous regular root dyeing may have been preventing it. I know that chemical hair dye can cause breakage and other damage, but I did not think that it may prevent hair from growing. Maybe it causes some sort of scalp damage that hurts the folicles? I'm just speculating here of course. Either way, I'm very happy that I may end up with more hair because of my decision to go natural That's such a bonus for me, healthy hair AND more of it!

Has anyone else noticed this with their hair? What do you think caused it?

(btw, I have not had any big sheddings lately, so it's not the regrowth that I sometimes get after a big shed. This regrowth seems to be mainly around the front and sides of my head, whereas the regrowth after a shedding period is sort of all over. Also, this regrowth is lovely and silky and oh so curly )

Tuscan Tales.....♥..... Facebook me!....♥....My Direct Dyes article

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: Wonderful "side effect" of giving up chemical dye

ME! I couldn't agree with you more, Rini! I gave up coloring in August 2008 and have never looked back. My hair feels better and looks better than it ever has (unless you count childhood!LOL!) I have the exact same fringe of mini ringlets that you describe and haven't had a major shed since I cut off the damaged hair (resulting in a very short crop) in December 2008. I found TLHC in August 2009 and the rest is history!

Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Yay! Well done Your hair looks gorgeous btw

I only asked because it was a side effect of not dyeing that I hadn't heard of before.....it's good to know that it does happen!

Tuscan Tales.....♥..... Facebook me!....♥....My Direct Dyes article

I decided to be happy. Henrietta's Avatar
    Length
    27.6/44.0/44.0
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I am happy that it happened Congratulations! Good to know you are happy with your hair
    Here is my ISO post. I'm looking for the Opal (copper) and Abital Flexis (XL), a small (12.5 cm) SenzaLimiti KPO, and a 3-prong CrockettMountainWoodworks acrylic fork

Length
    Pixie/Short/Term.
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

This has happened to me as well. I stopped dyeing my hair last summer (2010) and I've experienced a lot of new growth! Happy to hear there are more of us! Congrats!

Length
    3/9/16
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I generally wait a long time in between colorings because 1) the color I use is not far off from my original color, and 2) My hair hates me a little more every time I do it. In that time, I notice little hairs start shooting straight up out of my head. They're dark brown (my hair is medium blonde) and have tight waves. I'm not sure if it is actually related to not using chemical dyes for an extended period of time, but since you brought it up, I guess it's something to consider. I'm glad that yours are cute ringlets and not weird little Einstein hairs like mine. Haha

Length
    SL/Chin/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Meeeeeee!

The last time I bleached and dyed was the 28th September 2010.... I have almost 2 inches of regrowth and I too have a halo of almost 2 inch hairs sticking up at the front. It's definitely regrowth as the ends are tapered.

I even googled to see if other people had experienced the same.... So does dying make hair fall out? Stop new growth?

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Someone else posted something similar the other day here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63177

Taking better care of your hair has lots of great side effects
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I gained a full inch of circumference when I stopped dying my hair (from 2" to 3"). I think for me it was more due to insane shedding that happened every time I dyed though.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Me too Rini - it seems like the best side effect. (I do henna though.)
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62