Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't touch my hair!

Length
    Pixie/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Please don't touch my hair!

I am wondering if any others have problems with people wanting to touch your hair?

My hair is relatively short, but as I am growing it out, my ringlets are revealing themselves and more and more people are coming up to me and saying "OOOOhhh how pretty" reaching their hands out to touch them. Mostly it's friends, family, and the Life Partner, but especially when I've just showered and have nice looking curls, the last thing I want is people touching my hair!

I told the Life Partner that as my hair grows, I'm going to want it touched less and less... he doesn't like that, but seeing as we are currently in a long distance relationship, it's not that big of a deal right now. However, I can see it becoming an issue when my hair is longer and when we are living together in a couple of months.

So, what is your experience with this problem and how do you react when people do this? It seems to me like a major invasion of my personal space and... well... I just don't want people touching the hair that I've worked so hard to make look good!

Is this less of an issue for straight-haired ladies? Curls seem to be more high-maintenance and less touchable, but maybe not! I'd love to hear from you!

Default Re: Please don't touch my hair!

hubby always touches my hair and smells it when he hugs me! he loves that im growing it!

my son sam always use to twiddle my hair! using it as a kind of comforter when i gave him a hug laying beside him for a while! this was when he was younger and i didnt care properly for my hair! he is 11 now and when he has a mama hug he still goes for my hair but i say "no twiddling sam! you'll damage my hair"!
    suffice as to say! he is not impressed lol!
    Coney CO Washing. Clarifying and SMT!
    <-----------
    CL SL UBL APL BSL MBL WAIST

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I love when people touch my hair - I actually constantly beg my boyfriend to give me scalp massages. I don’t mind that my hair looks tousled. I have perfect ringlets right out of the shower, but as soon as my hair has been braided, bunned, braided again then left loose for a couple of hours, it’s not perfectly defined ringlets anymore. I think I like the messy look better anyway.

Because of my relatively light hair color, in Italy, strangers have asked me to touch my hair too. I don’t mind that, as long as their hands look clean, I’m not alone and I feel safe. If I was walking home by myself in the middle of the night, of course I wouldn’t like any stranger to talk to me or touch me anywhere.

However, many people I know, especially other girls, find it uncomfortable when people touch their hair. I think it’s because they see hair as something that symbolizes sex, and so (of course) do not want to be touched there by others. I don’t see my hair as something related to anything sexual, it’s a ”normal" part of me.

Length
    mbl/waist/tbl
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Everytime some one touches my hair I'm like paranoid.I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns!

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I hear you about not wanting to get the curls messed up!! It's a lot of work for me to get it scrunched just right and then it takes a long time to dry and it looks fine as long as it's not touched.

But I like it when my friends touch my hair and they typically don't ask permission either - it's almost like a hug in that way. Lately I've been styling my hair in stretched-out, brushable waves instead of curly so they can touch it to their heart's content without bothering me. Straightish hair is a lot easier to "fix" after someone ruffles it up...I can just brush it and then it looks the same as before.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Years ago some man wanted to touch my hair (which was hanging down my back) and I didn't mince words telling him no! Some people are downright creepy!

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I hate having my hair touched. When my hair is down ive had strangers stroke it which freaks me out a bit, but I tend to wear it up so it doesn't happen all that often.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!

Length
    34"/45"/IDK
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I don't like people touching my hair, but then again I don't like people (outside of friends and family) touching me (man that sounds bad, lol) period. I'm one of those "stay out of my personal space" people. Luckily I haven't had a lot of that. I tend to keep my hair braided or bunned and people don't notice. When I have it down it's for special occasions which usually include family and they all know how it is. I do have to remind my fiance to watch it though if I've done it nicely. He goes to rub my back and it'll tangle my hair and frizz my waves.

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I'm not overly bothered, as long as it is a person I know. Family, friends, etc. Strangers, not so much. I have even had students (7th and 8th graders) touch my hair when it was longer. Weird, but since they were mine (my students, therefore my psuedo children) it didn't really phase me. One girl french-braided it during an assembly!
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

I hate it unless it's someone close to me, such as family and my SO. I love it when my DBF plays with it and he loves smelling it, petting it, combing it..etc.