Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating a huge cut

Length
    11/21/?????
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Debating a huge cut

I last dyed my hair in November 2009, and the length is now mostly the old dye. - Maybe 6 to 7 inches of it.

Would it be easier to cut it out now, a good 6 inches and let it grow? Or wait it out and have two toned hair for a while (a long while)?

I will go from between APL & BSL to SL and I wear my hair up most of the time but like it down every so often.

Also, how do I explain to the stylist that my hair bleeds henna (henna hut) and to not freak out!? I have tried oiling it, vinegar rinse and lemon rinse to stop it and it just won't stop!

ETA: I chopped 4 inches off. It's SL but I can tell the difference. My length has no damage and my hair is very happy! I got rid of the dark area for the most part and all of my layers. PLUS I found an awesome salon!
    Last edited by Olyve; January 8th, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Embraced my wurls/curls! S&C, leave-ins, jojoba, & a whole lot of silicone! No heat. Plopping. Protein treatment once a month.
    20''-21''-22''-23''-24''-25''(BSL)-26''-27''-28''-29''-30''

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default Re: Debating a huge cut

I guess it depends. Are you going for all virgin? Or could hendigo help you out instead of cutting off all the length?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If it were my hair, I'd let it grow with regular small trims. I like two tone.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

If you want a gradual change you could trim 1" per month for 6 months. At the end of 6 months your hair would still be much longer than shoulder.

But there are upsides to trimming it all at once - if it were me I would probably do it all in one chop because I like to get it done professionally - and I wouldn't want to pay more than I need to.

Length
    34"/45"/IDK
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I would let it grow and slowly cut out the dye. Especially if you wear it up most of the time. The few times you wear it down shouldn't be a big deal. I think it's a personal decision though. I can't imagine having sl hair (haven't had it since I was around 6 or so) and that's my reasoning for this.
    If you have no problem having sl and then growing it out again then go ahead. I would at least take some time to think about though. Maybe (if you decide to cut) just cut a couple inches (or less) at a time to see how you feel. That way if you decide you aren't liking the shorter length 'cause you can't put it up, or whatever, you haven't gone too far.

Length
    8.5"/19"/42"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MissCharizard View Post
    I guess it depends. Are you going for all virgin? Or could hendigo help you out instead of cutting off all the length?
    I agree, I would probably henna to match my roots.

Length
    11/21/?????
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Thank you all. After reading, I decided to cut off 3 inches and turn a stylists hand orange. Oops.

It still has some dark ends but it's less than what it was. I had about half my hair black and half deep red, so now it looks like I have black tips on purpose

It sits at SL and I am okay with that, I have only two layers about 1/2 an inch apart now instead of a lot of layers. I guess I killed two birds with one stone. Hardly any layers and a lot of black cut out.

I also found a salon that is long hair friendly because the stylist asked me about 10 times if she was SURE I wanted to cut off 3 inches.

I guess I can join the no trims in 2011 now
    Embraced my wurls/curls! S&C, leave-ins, jojoba, & a whole lot of silicone! No heat. Plopping. Protein treatment once a month.

Length
    34"/45"/IDK
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

If you're happy that is great! Even better that you found a long hair friendly salon (or at least stylist.)

Length
    11/21/?????
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I am happy, I measured and she actually took 4 inches- which is okay. She was really scared to cut more like I wanted so I told her to go with what SHE was comfy with ( I was going to do 6 inches) so she settled on only 3-4. She kept commenting on my hair color and how I did it- I told her henna and she was amazed.

The whole salon is long hair friendly, the owner is at about tailbone!

It was my first time there and I am so going back, in a year. LOL

Length
    SL/Knee/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I am glad you found a good salon and are happy with the results
    Hello