Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fading natural redhair :( HELP!

Default fading natural redhair :( HELP!

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. When I was a kid, I hated my natural red hair which made me different. What kid wants to be different right? Well, now much older and wiser, I realize what a blessing my rare natural red hair is. I wish I could keep the strawberry/copper red color forever, but age is catching up with me! My once pretty red is fading out to a muddy reddish brown with a few white hairs creeping in. I'm thinking about what options I have to refresh/keep my natural red color. My hair is very long, thick, curly/wavey, and coarse. I don't think I could afford a professional color and upkeep. I hear red dye fades quite quickly, so upkeep would mean a full dye and not just a root touch up. This has to be quite damaging to the hair, no? I'm wondering what other less harmful options would be to get a natural looking result. My daugter even said, "oh mom don't dye it red, dyed reds look awful!". I must admit, I've seen some terrible dyed reds in my day =\ So girls, I need you help please!!!! Will hena work to keep my red alive and vibrant? Any other natural less damaging ideas????? Thanks!

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: fading natural redhair :( HELP!

One word for you. Henna.

Please take a look around the boards for the henna threads and pics. And welcome to LHC!

Length
    15/28/33
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I second Henna! Strong stuff, very permanent. Tons of information in the "Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare" forum....

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Hi! Welcome to the boards! Henna glossing is where I'd recommend you start, but I would also like to mention green tea rinses.

I know several natural redheads who have used nothing other than a strong green tea rinse after every shower to bring back the fire to their hair. I even know a couple who were accused of colouring after using this natural method to bring out the red.

Henna while being AMAZING in almost every way, might be too dark for the result you're looking for. Not all that green powder is the same, and it would only take one very dark application to ruin your dream colour. It is also very permanent for most, and doesn't lighten easily, or bleach out well at all. That is why I mention henna glosses, which have a much lighter deposit than an actual henna treatment.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Hmmm... I may have to try the green tea rinse thing myself.

In the meantime, from one darkening redhead to another, I'll add a vote for henna. Or more specifically, a henna-cassia blend. If you do henna too many times on the same hair or use too strong a mix, it gets rather dark. That fact snuck up on me.

The "Cassia" I refer to is Cassia obovata, aka Senna italica. The laxative senna powder also seems to work for a lot of people, if that's more available for you. It's a different species, but also seems to have a yellowish dye that can help dilute henna and keep it more coppery/orangey (which we redheads seem to be more interested in).
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ?/35/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Calaelen View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the boards! Henna glossing is where I'd recommend you start, but I would also like to mention green tea rinses.

I know several natural redheads who have used nothing other than a strong green tea rinse after every shower to bring back the fire to their hair. I even know a couple who were accused of colouring after using this natural method to bring out the red.

Henna while being AMAZING in almost every way, might be too dark for the result you're looking for. Not all that green powder is the same, and it would only take one very dark application to ruin your dream colour. It is also very permanent for most, and doesn't lighten easily, or bleach out well at all. That is why I mention henna glosses, which have a much lighter deposit than an actual henna treatment.
    What does a green tea rinse do for natural redheads? Is there a thread on this?

And I was unaware that you could get natural red shades out of henna. Isn't it usually a purpley red as opposed to coppery reds?

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    What does a green tea rinse do for natural redheads? Is there a thread on this?

And I was unaware that you could get natural red shades out of henna. Isn't it usually a purpley red as opposed to coppery reds?

There is a huge range of henna shades. Some are quite natural and it also needn't be kept in for hours so that it becomes very dark. It can be quite a natural, subtile tint. Do check out the henna thread as others have suggested- loads of informed info there!

Quote Originally Posted by redhead2011 View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. When I was a kid, I hated my natural red hair which made me different. What kid wants to be different right? Well, now much older and wiser, I realize what a blessing my rare natural red hair is. I wish I could keep the strawberry/copper red color forever, but age is catching up with me! My once pretty red is fading out to a muddy reddish brown with a few white hairs creeping in. I'm thinking about what options I have to refresh/keep my natural red color. My hair is very long, thick, curly/wavey, and coarse. I don't think I could afford a professional color and upkeep. I hear red dye fades quite quickly, so upkeep would mean a full dye and not just a root touch up. This has to be quite damaging to the hair, no? I'm wondering what other less harmful options would be to get a natural looking result. My daugter even said, "oh mom don't dye it red, dyed reds look awful!". I must admit, I've seen some terrible dyed reds in my day =\ So girls, I need you help please!!!! Will hena work to keep my red alive and vibrant? Any other natural less damaging ideas????? Thanks!

Thank u 4 the kind replies so far Now 4 some ????'s

Okay, so I'm going 4 a natural looking strawberry/ginger (but not flaming orange), a rich red like I was born with. My color is still glistening like that in the light, like a shiny copper penny with strands of red, gold, copper, blonde. I DO NOT want a dark arburn red and I DO NOT want a brassy color.

1. Re: Hena; How hard is it to "henna"? Sorry for my inexperience, but is henna creamy/liquidy like a dye? Where do you purchase it? Does hena come in different colors? Someone said something about "henna-cassia" and "hena-glossing"...what does that mean?

2. Re: Green Tea rinse; Do I just boil a green tea bag? Does this go on my hair after shampoo and conditioner? Do I rinse it out? Sorry again, if these are dumb questions

3. Re: Senna Powder; This is a laxative??!! Do I use this alone or mixed with something else? What are the steps? What result will it give me?

4. Re: Color Depositing Shampoos/Conditioners; No one here has mentioned this yet, but someone else told me about "Aveda Madder Root" products. Anyone here use these products? If so, do they work? I checked on-line and they are a little pricey, 30.00 for a liter of the shampoo and 18.00 for 8.5 oz. of the conditioner. I've also hear of "Bumble & Bumble", "Artec", and "John Frieda color glaze". The last of which I've used. I ended up with red tinted hands and scalpe, and a greasy, limp, stringy look to my hair .

5. Re: Natural products; Someone told me of a 50/50 mixture of carrot juice and beet juice.....has anyone heard of this or tried it???

Thank you!!

Length
    17"/22"/30"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post

Back when I was henna'ing, I got much more natural looking results out of it than I did with any chemical dyes. I do, however, happen to have medium-light ash blond hair to begin with so that might be why.
    - Yeah TOAST -

Length
    15/24.5/37
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

also remember henna is like a stain and allows light to pass through it, your hair color will have different densities of color every time the light changes... I'm flaming orange in bright light, but a nice copper red when the sun shifts or a cloudy day or indoors... I didn't want to go too dark either so my mix of Cassia henna is very light...