Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperately trying to get away from the blowdryer

Length
    15/17/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Desperately trying to get away from the blowdryer

Hi All!
    I have so many questions so I`m trying to break them up by category. I want to really break away from the blow dryer.How do you dry without heat? The problem is that I get up super early for work and I could get up a bit earlier but I have so much hair that I`m sure it still wouldn`t dry in time. Does anyone have a recommend for those super microfiber towels? What other tips do you have for drying without heat? I welcome all suggestions! Thanks Everyone!

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Desperately trying to get away from the blowdryer

Well, the movie star shampoo completely eliminated wet drips from my hair, even fresh out of the shower. It still took time to dry but I swear it was faster than air drying.

But I personally plop or scrunch my hair with an old tshirt to get a lot of the excess moisture out. If I have to go out with wet hair I try to braid or bun it, and it will eventually dry on its own without me worrying about it much.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    Shldr/Wst?/Hip
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

To be perfectly honest I usually shower in the Afternoon/Evening so that I don't have to worry about it in the morning.

Length
    13"/32"/25"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I am an evening showerer. Spring/summer I just go out with damp, loose hair as I take transit and between the heated skytrain and the open bus windows (some idiot always wants a fresh breeze blowing right up to November, then I get a 2-3 month break), it doesn't take my hair long at all to dry. I went to work this winter once with freshly washed hair and it was mostly dry (80%) by the time I got to work (my commute time is just over 1hr). good luck! and let me know how the absorbent hair towels work out, I'm thinking of trying them..
    Lady of the Sea

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

In the summer I just go damp and its dry by the time I get where Im going and then I just put it up. Summer is easy!

It gets more tricky in the winter. Once it starts getting too cool to go out damp, I switch to shampooing at night. I do use the microfiber towels and turbans. I sit around with that on for awhile and then I take it down and its usually mostly dry before bed and then I just put it up on my head for bed. I put it all on top in a scrunchie and divide that into 4 or 5 sections and use sponge rollers on those and I wake up with really nice curls.

I seldom use the blowdryer now but if I do get caught in a pinch and have to be somewhere or Im just too freakin cold I will blowdry my scalp area(from arms length distance) on the low setting just enough to take the chill off and follow up with the cool setting on the rest only as necessary. I dont feel like doing this occasionally has resulted in much damage.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Evening shower person here, too. Once you get to a certain length, depending upon your hair type, etc, it's utterly impractical to expect it to dry in an hour or two, even with the help of gentle blowdrying. As it is, it's still quite damp the morning after a wash. I find it's easier to put up that way, anyway.

You don't indicate how long your hair is, how thick it is, etc., so it's hard to give specific advice. But, if you normally wear your hair down during the day, I'd do what others have recommended so far, and use microfiber towels or t-shirt material to get as much moisture out as possible. Then, hand fluff and comb until it's just damp. Unless your hair is perfectly straight, it's look fine and no one will know but you that it's not completely dry.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Length
    Chin/31"/TB
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Well my hair takes ages to air dry, about 4 hours or more, i have used a hair dryer for 30 years, and never thought id live without one, but 3 weeks in i cant tell you how wonderful my hair feels, its such a massive difference.

Have you tried washing in the evening, then popping into a bun for bed when its almost dry, that always looks lovely and sleek on my hair if i need to go out.

Length
    2/18/there

I damp bun mine. Then I don't worry about it all day.

Length
    15/17/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks all for your lovely replies. Seems like there are a lot of evening washers here. I could try that but sometimes a shower and wash in the morning is just a must for me. I have fine hair but A LOT of it. Seriously. I have so much hair and it takes a while to dry. It is currently a couple of inches past BSL but it seems like the amount of hair I have is what holds up the drying process most days. I will try all suggestions. Thank you ALL so much for your replies. Will be getting some microfiber towels and trying some night time washing and seeing how my hair feels in the a.m (sometimes I find that my scalp feels greasy in the a.m after a night of damp hair sleeping) Grr. Thanks

Length
    13"/32"/25"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

You sound exactly like me!! I love am showers too, had a really really hard time breaking from them. Perhaps you could try popping in the shower in the am with a shower cap on & only wash hair in evenings? I don't know what your lifestyle is (kids, job hrs, etc) but hope you find a happy ending.
    Lady of the Sea