Thread: ACV and Catnip, which first?

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default ACV and Catnip, which first?

I've used catnip soaks a lot in the past after washes as they make my hair wonderfully soft and silky and help prevent splits. I usually soak my hair in catnip for 20 minutes or so, then leave it to air dry without rinsing out the catnip.

I've now been able to get Apple Cider Vinegar rinses to work with my hair. In the past they left my hair lank and greasy, but now I've moved from a soft water area to a hard water area all of a sudden ACV rinses work wonderfully leaving me with shiny silky hair. I rinse my hair with diluted ACV then rinse it out.

I've debated alternating ACV and Catnip each wash, but I'd quite like to use both. If this possible, and in what order should I use them? Will it make any difference or will they undo the other's benefits?

I'd be very grateful of any advice or experiences.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: ACV and Catnip, which first?

In the past I mixed vinegar with catnip, while experimenting. I never liked it.

I do not think you need both. I use catnip alone after shampoo and the water is hard where I live. It is not a problem.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Cheers for that

ACV rinses are much easier than catnip so I'll probably won't forget to do them. I'll probably just use ACV for the times when I've forgotten to prepare my catnip before washing.
    I guess doing both in the same routine would be extra hassle for probably little to no gain.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Quote Originally Posted by BelleBot View Post
    Cheers for that

ACV rinses are much easier than catnip so I'll probably won't forget to do them. I'll probably just use ACV for the times when I've forgotten to prepare my catnip before washing.
    I guess doing both in the same routine would be extra hassle for probably little to no gain.
    You are most welcome!

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I get best results doing both. I CO, do an ACV rinse, then do the catnip rinse. However, I don't leave the catnip on my hair quite so long, maybe 5 minutes. My hair is happier than it has ever been. If I leave either out, I notice it immediately.
    Last edited by ravenreed; December 30th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
    Change is the only constant.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    I get best results doing both. I CO, do an ACV rinse, then do the catnip rinse. However, I don't leave the catnip on my hair quite to long, maybe 5 minutes. My hair is happier than it has ever been. If I leave either out, I notice it immediately.
    You are using it very differently to the way I do and that is fine. You are happy with it.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

If I remember correctly, Ktani does more of what I could call a catnip treatment whereas I really do more of a rinse. I also sometimes put my moisturizing conditioner over the catnip while I let it all sit for a few minutes.

Exclamation Re: ACV and Catnip, which first?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    If I remember correctly, Ktani does more of what I could call a catnip treatment whereas I really do more of a rinse. I also sometimes put my moisturizing conditioner over the catnip while I let it all sit for a few minutes.
    I use catnip as a treatment following a shampoo that does not build-up (the way conditioner does) and I bag and time the treatment for one hour each time.

The shampoo I use, Sunsilk Lively Blonde, removes enough catnip each time, without removing all stain (I use catnip to stain my grey/white hair light blonde), that the catnip does not build-up on my hair.

Catnip is the only botanical I have tried and I have tried a few, that washes out easily with one shampoo, while not all of its conditioning properties are removed each time either, since bagging and timing it allows it to also penetrate the hair somewhat.

I do not apply shampoo directly to the length of my hair separately. I lather my scalp first and then bring the lather through the length each time, making sure all parts of it are covered and squeeze the lather through the hair.

When experimenting, I never found that catnip worked well over conditioner. Conditioner never washed out of my hair with one lathering of shampoo. Catnip does that.

I have 0 split ends with catnip, minimal mechanical breakage, increased growth and no frizz (although my hair can frizz every so often) but has not in a long time.

ETA: I also have no wet or dry tangling. My hair is soft and shines. Catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118
    Last edited by ktani; December 30th, 2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: ETA

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I infused my Catnip into some ACV, works great every time.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I now do a catnip rinse as a leave in, without the extra conditioner. My ACV rinse is too strong to leave it in, it needs to be rinsed out. Right after it is all rinsed out, and just before getting out of the shower, I pour the catnip in my hair, squeeze it out, and then hop out.