Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken hair or shorter hair?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Broken hair or shorter hair?

How do you tell the difference? I mean from hair that is just a new hair and shorter than the rest or if it has been broken? I have heard someone say before (forgive my loss of memory) but pictures or a description of what the end of the hair looks like for both would be helpful.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    21/28/BSL

I have no clue, but I very much would like to know as well. I'll be watching this tread closely.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

New hairs have pointy ends when they grow. They're easily confused with the remaining half of a 2-way split, though. Broken hairs will probably have a split (though it may be tiny) at the end.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

That's good because the one I pulled from the scalp was shorter and it was tapered a bit at the end with no split. So was the long hair I examined.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Type
    2a/F/M/i

If the tapered end means new groth.. then my little halo of frizz could possibly be lots of new growth! Yay

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lova View Post
    If the tapered end means new groth.. then my little halo of frizz could possibly be lots of new growth! Yay
    I have a lot of that too!!! Spidermom was the one who got me thinking of this. Maybe she'll pop in. I think she said how to tell the difference once but I do know she is always talking about how no one has hair all the same length because it doesn't grow IN the same length or at the same time. Makes perfect sense.

I was looking in an especially bright mirror in a fitting room yesterday and that is what got me thinking about this. I though how could I have so many broken hairs up around my crown????!!! I usually don't notice in normal light I guess. I am glad to know they are not all broken hairs. I would cry!!!

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I can usually tell the difference b/c my broken hairs are white at the end for some reason.

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mommy101405 View Post
    I can usually tell the difference b/c my broken hairs are white at the end for some reason.
    Yeah I remember someone saying that. I never find a white dot. That is the beginning of a split before it breaks I think. They get white dots before they split. I have a few of those on my longer hair. I probably need to S & D but I am afraid if I ever started I would get obsessed :

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    Yeah I remember someone saying that. I never find a white dot. That is the beginning of a split before it breaks I think. They get white dots before they split. I have a few of those on my longer hair. I probably need to S & D but I am afraid if I ever started I would get obsessed :
    I never get the white dots either.. but my hair doesn't split or break off a lot anyway.
    Once I started lookin for whatever split ends I could find I got obsessed and it's.. not fun trust me. Just spending lots of time picking your hair. Trying to stop it now because it was really affecting me in a bad way ;(

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lova View Post
    I never get the white dots either.. but my hair doesn't split or break off a lot anyway.
    Once I started lookin for whatever split ends I could find I got obsessed and it's.. not fun trust me. Just spending lots of time picking your hair. Trying to stop it now because it was really affecting me in a bad way ;(
    I've heard a lot of people say that. I know my limits, that is why I never started doing it! :