Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When you first started your long hair journey.....

Length
    SL/18/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Lightbulb When you first started your long hair journey.....

Did you fully immerse yourself into changing your behaviour, habits and products regarding your hair - or was it a very gradual change?

After a butchered cut a few weeks ago, I had to cut inches off my hair to fix it. It's now shoulder length, and while I think change is good it's also pretty depressing.

: ( I'm actually trying to grow my hair long for my final year of high school (especially formal / prom which is in November 2011) so I'm starting my long hair journey *now*

Length
    Chin/APL?/Ftip
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: When you first started your long hair journey.....

I went all out and changed everything.. tried lots of stuff before I found something that works! And just wore it up as much as I can..

Hoping to reach BSL By January 2012

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

i try to keep my hair taken care of whether i grow my hair out or cut it short. i am a healthy hair freak, so i do what i can to keep it happy and healthy. the only thing i really changed on the beginning of this growing out is i stopped colouring my hair about two months ago and i don't plan to colour it again for a long while.

good luck on your journey to having longer hair
    Last edited by BeccaAngel; December 19th, 2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: thought of something nice to say too

Length
    pixie/apl/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

It was a gradual change.
    First I started to use natural hair care and then I grew out the die.
    Got ouchless combs and brushes.
    Started up doing and buying of hair toys

I already did a lot of that in 2008 when I joined an other board.

never did much heat styling, so I did not have to change that.
    Last edited by ooo; December 19th, 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Length
    SL/18/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Because my hair's so short the straightening iron is like my best friend and greatest enemy rolled into one. I want to straighten it to look presentable, but I don't want to dry it out and cause horrible split ends either.

Length
    14/14/20
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

At first I thought it was weird that people stretched washes and washes with condish is messy but now I do that too and it's not weird. I also started SMTs and oiling a while after deciding it grow out my hair (I was a lurker at first) and now I started using BBB and a wide tooth comb for detangling.

Hi Florencienne:
    My hair journey was...both.
    Gradual in that I stopped going to a salon for cuts so frequently because I didn't have the money for it any longer. I used to go every 4-6 weeks. Then I started stretching the time longer and longer. Then as it was getting near to Christmas 2 years ago, I dropped an appointment completely so I could buy gifts with the money instead. I never went back since then.
    Once that happened, it was the beginning of the hair growth experiment. :-) Then I realized I could get all these cool hair toys and the rest is history!
    It's funny, I've been so worried about running in to my stylist and that he'd be made at me. I avoided him for all this time but I ran in to him at a street fair. I felt a tug on my hair and I hear from behind me "I wondered what happened to you. Now I can SEE what you've been doing!"
    -Eriko

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I didn't change a thing for the first four years, other than I stopped getting cute short haircuts. I started changing my habits when I joined LHC and became inspired by some of the more gorgeous hair I had ever seen in my life. Now I've come full circle; my hair inspires others.

Length
    Chin-/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I started really caring for my hair in high school - I did treatments and trims every few weeks and it looked beautiful

After I bleached my hair and messed it up, I haven't been cutting it as often because I want to grow it out. I've also colored it darker many times so its fried. I want to trim it more often but its just not long enough.

Over the past two years I've stopped straightening it...I might straighten it once every couple of months for an occasion. I've also started using sulfate free products.

Jeno86

Mine was a bit of both. I did a lot of research before doing anything and then once I had a nice grasp on what I was doing, I went all out. Changed how I brushed my hair, eating habits, stopped dying it (however I just started re-dying but with henna now), used better cleaners for my hair and so on. Best thing I could have done.