Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidently bought a product containing 'dimethicone' - use or bin?

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Accidently bought a product containing 'dimethicone' - use or bin?

Hello again,

I'd posted this on a UK only thread but i didn't get any reply, so i decided to open it up to all of you.

Basically, i bought the same product i've been buying for the last 4 months only to get home and find out they've changed the ingredients so it's no longer 'cone free.

It's really cheap brand store stuff do i don't mind binning it. But what to you guys think? Will it damage my previously 'cone free hair?
    I went 'cone free because the ends of my hair are really fragile because i'm growing out damage from years ago, i heard that 'cones seal out the moisture and obviously i wanted to baby my ends so had to stop that.

So, to bin or not to bin?
    I could use the 'cone bottles up before new year and start 'cone free again in January?
    Either way i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again
    Goal: Waist length hair, then maintain until hemline thickens. Avatar taken :1stFebruary 2011

Length
    Chin/Bra/WKs?
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Accidently bought a product containing 'dimethicone' - use or bin?

Personally, I wouldn't use it. If you're currently focusing on the health of your hair more than its appearence, then I would say stay away from the 'cones until you get your hair's quality where you want it, and then throw in a 'cone whenever it works or if your hair agrees with it.

I do know that 'cones can coat hair and some people need to wash the coating off with a clarifying shampoo, so if you want your hair to be open to all the babying while its growing, I would suggest avoiding the coney stuff.

Hope I could help!

Length
    #1 BC/neck/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

The shampoo I'm currently using has dimethicone in it. Where I live it's super difficult to come across products that are a) everything on my list of harmfuls free and b) cone free

I prioritize my list of harmfuls over cones, my body's health comes before my hair's health. But I don't actually know much about cones other than they coat your hair and give off the appearance of health rather than it actually being healthy. My hair doesn't have an issue with dimethicone. It looks and feels healthy, along with my scalp. (thus my assuming that it is healthy, if that makes sense. I don't seem to have any buildup)

Then again, if being cone free is working for you and you can find another product without cones easily and don't mind chucking the bottle away, then why not do what you're comfortable with?
    Last edited by LissaJane; December 17th, 2010 at 03:55 AM.

Length
    BSL/waist/TBL?
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

It depends whether you're using a shampoo that's strong enough to wash off the cones so they don't build up. The cones themselves may help your fragile ends be stronger and shinier/less tangly and can lock in the moisture from the shower (though they may lock out any moisture treatments you do AFTER you shower).

On the other hand the stuff it takes to wash them off can be drying to hair. It all depends how well your hair handles that kind of thing. Me personally I avoid cones not because they're bad or evil or anything but because I don't want to be obliged to use strong cleansers to wash them off all the time. It's the cleansers my hair and scalp object to, not the cones themselves. Remember everyone's hair is different though

Horrid lighting and resolution...but even still I can see 2" growth and lots more shine!

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by nytquill View Post
    It depends whether you're using a shampoo that's strong enough to wash off the cones so they don't build up. The cones themselves may help your fragile ends be stronger and shinier/less tangly and can lock in the moisture from the shower (though they may lock out any moisture treatments you do AFTER you shower).

On the other hand the stuff it takes to wash them off can be drying to hair. It all depends how well your hair handles that kind of thing. Me personally I avoid cones not because they're bad or evil or anything but because I don't want to be obliged to use strong cleansers to wash them off all the time. It's the cleansers my hair and scalp object to, not the cones themselves. Remember everyone's hair is different though
    Thank you for the useful information, i've concluded i'm most likely better off 'cone free, as i'm a no 'poo girl i CO only. So i'd much rather use a coneless Conditioner when i'm CO-ing, thank you.
    Goal: Waist length hair, then maintain until hemline thickens. Avatar taken :1stFebruary 2011

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

What Nytquill said.

Out of interest, what kind was it? I hate when formulas change with no warning.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Instead of throwing it away, you can use it for shaving (the 'cones make it slippery). Or you can donate it to a shelter for homeless people or the victims of domestic violence.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I would use it for my hair or for shaving like GRU suggested. I was cone free for a year or so, then decided to try them again and dimethicone is the only one that works well in my hair. I use it infrequently, and don't notice any build up. I am also growing out old damage and when I use this on just my ends, it makes it less tangly when I want to wear my hair down.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Personally, I love the way that cones help to keep my hair from tangling up so much, so I would use the product. I don't have problems getting moisture into my hair, but I do have to do a thorough clarifying wash every 3-4 months (rather than my usual CWC with diluted shampoo). I'd have to do that anyway; residue from oils build up, too.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by nytquill View Post
    Agreed. 'Cones are NOT damaging. Not at all. You have to clarify every now and then when you CO anyway (conditioners do build up), so theres no problem keeping it around to use for special occasions.