Page 1 of 454 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Merchantile/Eaduard Hairsticks

TrudieCat

Default Pacific Merchantile/Eaduard Hairsticks

Hi all! I know a number of people have purchased sticks from Pacific Merchantile. I saw a mention on his etsy page of holes that he's put into the top of the wood sticks, apparently to make it possible for him to dip the sticks in something to finish them.

I was wondering if some of you all who have some of his wood sticks describe this a little more? Are these an unfinished holes, how big are they, what exactly does the total effect look like, etc? In other words, are these smoothly finished sticks with random-looking pin holes in the top, or do these holes look more deliberate and well-finished? I assume these holes are only in the wood sticks but on the off chance that they are somehow drilled into the acrylic sticks I'd like to know about that as well. In pictures the sticks look flawlessly finished.

The other question I have is about customer service. I've read some posts here that refer to problems people have had with this seller, but I haven't been able to locate posts that actually describe any problems. Does anyone know what this is about? It seems to me like he's a great seller from feedback on etsy, but I am curious about the references to problems with him I've read here.

Thanks in advance!

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions about Pacific Merchantile

The old thread regarding problems with his customer service was closed and then deleted because he contacted the mods and complained about the thread until they agreed to erase it.

Having said that, many people purchased from him and seem to be very happy. <shrug>
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.

Length
    bsl/clsc/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I have several of his sticks, both wood and acrylic. The acrylic do not have holes in them. All my wood ones do - this wasn't mentioned in the etsy listing when I purchased them. I have the feeling all his wood sticks have a hole on top :-/

The holes look like the kind of hole you would drill to put a topper on the stick, probably similar to what the pre-drilled hair sticks would look like, small and centered. If you aren't planning to put a topper on it, well, then it looks like a random hole. I'm going to either sand down or put toppers on all of mine, I don't like how the hole looks at all But that's just me.

His sticks are incredibly smooth - both the wood and the acrylic. If it wasn't for the holes I probably would have bought loads more of the woods, especially the curly maple sticks - the colored ones are so pretty.

I've had absolutely no problems as far as CS, but I never did anything more complicated than place an order from his etsy site - no customs or returns or aything. He always shipped immediately - same day or next - and included a free stick in my package. I don't know anything more than you regarding problems others may have had, I've seen it mentioned as well. Then again, I visited his etsy in the first place due to rave reviews here

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

The holes are really shallow, not noticeable at all IMO, and he does sell unfinished sticks, but they aren't always labeled as such. He's pretty bad at replying to contact info, even if you contact him to ask if you can buy a stick that you aren't sure of the type of. I think he sent me a free extra stick, and I want to know the type since I like it. I think it's walnut though. He ships pretty fast though.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I've purchased from him twice, he ships quickly and has included an extra stick both times. I have both wood and acrylic sticks from him, and they have become the sticks I use the most (I love the slime green one!)

The holes on the wood sticks are very small and are flat (no lumps or bumps). It's pretty obvious to me that they are remnants of his finishing process. I don't think they're significant enough to notice, and it seems like sanding the end would create a much more noticeable defect. The finish on his wooden sticks is very smooth and glossy.

His sticks are not particularly expensive, you could always send them out to have customized tops added if you're unhappy with the holes.
    erika
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

TrudieCat

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am especially interested in a pair of the color finish wood sticks, so they would have a hole in them. It's good to know that the holes aren't too big or noticeable.

However... I am a little weird about not having things "just so," to my taste, so I'll probably go ahead and order the sticks and see what I think. If I really hate the holes, I'm thinking that I might try to match the color with acrylic paint and sort of spackle it into the hole with a piece of cardstock or something. The sticks I'm eyeing aren't sticks I'd want to put a topper on, but I do think these sticks have such an elegant, simple shape that would look really nice with pretty toppers. So if I like these but don't like the hole, that might be a good option for the future.

I really love the colors he uses on his finished wood sticks. They look so cool over the grain of the maple, too.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I've ordered from him three times, twice for wood sticks and once for acrylic. He has been prompt, included free sticks with each order, and the sticks are absolutely beautiful, lovely finish and good strength to them. My sticks are in myrtle, walnut and curly maple, and then the lava acrylics - which are GORGEOUS.

The holes are small, at the tippy-top as would be for a topped stick as others have said (not visible unless you are looking down at the top of the stick), and I don't really notice them.

I know others have said they had problems with PM, but I have nothing but praise for him.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Just as an aside, I think if you watch his youtube videos he explains why the holes are in his sticks.
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.

Length
    7/35/50
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I know you're interested in his wood sticks but I wanted to chime in with more praise for his acrylics. I bought a pair off the swap board and love them. The colour is really vibrant and they're very strong. Plus, it's good to have totally waterproof sticks at my disposal. I'll definitely be purchasing from him directly at some point. My only complaint is that he doesn't offer a variety of lengths for the acrylics; they're all 5 inches.
    Lady Guanyin of the Iron Leaf in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a, M, iii. Hip length achieved, Nov 2010! Next goal: 100% natural coloured hair.

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I've ordered from Eduard. He is not very prompt with responses to pms, but he cares a lot about customer satisfaction. My favorite sticks were a unique design that he hasn't offered since, and it does have some defects, I'll be sending them back to be reworked soon and trust that he will fix them swiftly. got a slime green stick as a bonus, that is dipped and the hole looks almost as thought there was going to be a topper, but it was decided against. He suggests using lipstick to fill the hole, bit I think that nail polish might be poked in with a pin until level, stand it upright in a cup of uncooked rice for a couple hours til completely dry and your good to go... that's my theory anyways.
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015