Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comb overs

Post Comb overs

I saw a man the other day with the most elaborate comb over I`ve ever seen The fact that some men with thinning hair have comb overs made me realise even more how important hair can be and I`m sure that it can be quite a challenge to make a comb over as "neat" as possible and I can imagine that it requires more than a few minutes in front of a mirror in order to get it right I don`t want to offend people with comb overs, because losing ones hair can be a big deal so I have nothing but respect for men with comb overs and I really don`t mean this as a thread to make fun of people who are losing their hair, I was just wondering what you think of a comb over as a "hair style"
    Last edited by CastaDiva; December 14th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Comb overs

I like comb over’s and know hair. I guess I like comb over’s because it’s a sine that they haven’t given up on there appearance and they are doing the best with what they have got. And I do think it looks good.

I think there is a generational divide with respect to comb-overs. Younger men (40 years old or younger) tend to just shave it all off; perhaps the rise of prominent shaved celebrities such as Patrick Stewart and Michael Jordan has something to do with that.

I think comb-overs can certainly look very weird. I know an older gentleman who has one, and whenever he gets caught in the wind, the hair stands up on end like an asymmetrical sort of mohawk. Just odd. He has a nice skull, too--he could totally pull off the shaved look.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    I think there is a generational divide with respect to comb-overs. Younger men (40 years old or younger) tend to just shave it all off; perhaps the rise of prominent shaved celebrities such as Patrick Stewart and Michael Jordan has something to do with that.
    There is a difference between generations, that's for sure. I think it's rare or even non-existent these days for young, balding men, to have comb overs. It's something of generations past.

Personally, I don't much like them. I think they're odd, and even though it's hard to lose your hair, if it were me, I'd rather bite the bullet and go bald, maybe wear a wig or look for some other type of solution.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Yes, I think the biggest down fall of combovers is the wind issue. I know DH would never go for that look.
    Generally I think shaving their head works out easier in the long run, and is less stressful. Imagine all that precise combing for a gust of wind to spoil it! And I imagine it needs a mirror to fix.
    Back after a 6 year break, and recommitted to growing out to classic

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

hhmm ... one of my co-workers had a very good barber who would cut his hair so that it didn't look at all like a comb over.
    It was longer at the sides but tapered and he comb it forwards so it looked old Roman style.
    But I have seen VERY bad ones too; when the part starts right above the ear

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/tbone
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've seen some bad comb-overs, too, but I always have more than a little compassion for it. Doing the best you can with what you have should count for something.

I do prefer the shaved head to a comb-over, though.

My brother went to Purdue University and their old basketball coach had the ultimate comb over. Look him up. His name is Gene Keady. You'll be shocked. I also must applaud Donald Trump for how he handled baldness.

Length
    ?/35/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

well, there are impressive feats of combover win, and there are sad combovers that make you feel sorry for them. Baldness always looks better IMO.

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

well I am going to be honest and mean no offence to anybody but I think comb overs look ridiculous, almost as silly as men who grow a pony tail to compensate thinning on top. Personally I think a shaved head looks quite sexy and makes the man look younger than with the comical comb over just my opinion and no offence meant to anybody who like them.
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!